The Student Room Group

Law degree - application on other countries?

Let’s say I take a law degree on my native/birth country. But I don’t know either what branch of law I want to pursue nor in which country am I going to live or enjoy working, making a life. It’s probably not my birth place so I m wondering even if I can’t practice law with my law degree in another country, will it still give me a strong cv and allow me to do other stuff (like Human Resources management, business management, banking, financial jobs, international relations)... I don’t know, if other countries law degrees/specialization to be able to practice there wont take much (as in basically taking a new law degree) it could be rewarding to take a second law degree on where I establish myself, considering the chance of a law degree from another country not providing a strong cv and job opportunities externally..
Reply 1
I believe that a law degree will show a certain sense of skill development and achievement. One thing to consider is the nature of the degree in your target country. Here in the US, our law degrees are graduate in nature. There is no LLB equivalent. I have a law degree but am going back into consulting rather than traditional law practice. There are specific degrees for foreign attorneys to develop US based knowledge. Many schools offer them and a decent subset of those allow for you to work at the same time.
Original post by Totoro50
I believe that a law degree will show a certain sense of skill development and achievement. One thing to consider is the nature of the degree in your target country. Here in the US, our law degrees are graduate in nature. There is no LLB equivalent. I have a law degree but am going back into consulting rather than traditional law practice. There are specific degrees for foreign attorneys to develop US based knowledge. Many schools offer them and a decent subset of those allow for you to work at the same time.

What do you do in consulting?
Reply 3
Original post by Eccentric Goatie
What do you do in consulting?

I do tax consulting for the financial services industry. I actually like it.
To be honest no, I've done this and its one of the least translatable degrees. A degree from a civil law jurisdiction might be better because there are more civil law countries, but common law really limits you.
Original post by lalicat488
To be honest no, I've done this and its one of the least translatable degrees. A degree from a civil law jurisdiction might be better because there are more civil law countries, but common law really limits you.

My country is one of the many civil law legal systems. But I was planning on doing a post graduation in the uk (on something else other than law) and was hoping to work and gain minimally well.. I thought law could play a part in here
If you're planning to do non-law post grad here - I really don't see what the problem is.
Original post by Trinculo
If you're planning to do non-law post grad here - I really don't see what the problem is.

What do you mean? Of course there is a problem, I probably won’t be able to apply my law degree in there and so while I be doing some post grad I ll be serving french fries
I don't follow. Are you saying that if you had an English law degree, you'd have some other employment during postgrad?
Original post by Trinculo
I don't follow. Are you saying that if you had an English law degree, you'd have some other employment during postgrad?

Maybe.. it would make sense right ?
Original post by Eccentric Goatie
Maybe.. it would make sense right ?

Realistically, I don't see what part-time work you are going to get with an LLB that you wouldn't get with whatever degree you have. The work you will get will either be low-skilled or unskilled - or if you are fortunate/smart enough to somehow get higher paying work - the fact of the type of academic law you know about will be irrelevant.
Reply 11
Many of my friends applied to universities abroad and many of them had problems with locuments. I know that you need to check that your diploma or grades are correctly translated and correspond to the assessment system of the university you plan to apply in. I know that most of the free services offer low quality translation. I also know that many paid translation services are quite expensive for students, so I can advise you this portal https://www.translate.com/ where you can easily find the native speaker who will gladly help you for the small fee. I used the free machine translator on this site several times for personal correspondence and twice looked for the translator for my documents, so I managed to compare different offers and consider this portal the most profitable option for me.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Gabbyss
Many of my friends applied to universities abroad and many of them had problems with locuments. I know that you need to check that your diploma or grades are correctly translated and correspond to the assessment system of the university you plan to apply in. I know that most of the free services offer low quality translation. I also know that many paid translation services are quite expensive for students, so I can advise you on a portal where you can easily find the native speaker who will gladly help you for a small fee. I used the free machine translator on this site several times for personal correspondence and twice looked for the translator for my documents, so I managed to compare different offers and consider this portal the most profitable option for me.

What does this have to do?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending