The Student Room Group

Im asian and aint religous

Life sucks
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by nognogbumfluff
Ok im a bengali and most of us r muslim. My mum reminds me 5 times a day that i will burn in hell. I cant really say my thoughts out loud. Lowkey wanna dress lile a slut (show off my ankles duhh). But srsly i dont know if i believe in anything- lets just say i dont think of it often and i dont want to. Honestly im surrounded by religous ppl everywhere (east london). I wish i was a basic white girl. Just accept how i am pls

Did you know: Pigs cannot fly. 🐷🐷🐷
I guess what i meant by that is that is i wish i had the freedom and privileges a white person wud have. To wear clothes i want, say wat i want ugh i guess not eloquiently put but yh
I think you’re just caught up in social media. Trust me everything you see isn’t what it seems. The way your parents have taught you to be is the best rather than wanting to be a basic white girl. Religion wise, you’re lacking in faith and maybe shaytaan is just trying to play with your mind. Trust me dressing like a slut won’t get anywhere. I have so many white friends who wish that their parents actually cared rather than get with the wrong crowd.
I guess what i meant by that is that is i wish i had the freedom and privileges a white person wud have. To wear clothes i want, say wat i want ugh i guess not eloquiently put but yh

Freedom is an illusion.

Dressing "like a slut" won't help you attain this freedom you seek. In fact, your parent's strictness is actually a good thing as at least you're less likely to have that "low quality person" look which helps with employment and all.

Your mother has to stop though. If she wants to convince you to be Muslim then she's doing it wrong (and doing quite the opposite, too).
(edited 3 years ago)
Oml when i meant dress like a slut - i literally want to wear skinny jeans and a top and skirts that show some ankle without anyone having a go at me for being scandalous. This includes shoving my hair into a greasy ponytail and looking too damn sexy doing so.
(edited 3 years ago)
Ok im a bengali and most of us r muslim. My mum reminds me 5 times a day that i will burn in hell. I cant really say my thoughts out loud. Lowkey wanna dress lile a slut (show off my ankles duhh). But srsly i dont know if i believe in anything- lets just say i dont think of it often and i dont want to. Honestly im surrounded by religous ppl everywhere (east london). I wish i was a basic white girl (in terms of privileges and freedom). Just accept how i am pls

Go do it then, go get drunk and get STD's destroy your health, with your new found "freedom"

Having strict parents who are being strict for your benefit isn't necessarily a bad thing. And its certainly better than not having parents who care.
Harsh truth is sometimes young people don't know whats best for them.

When you have your own money, and live without them then you can do what you want.
Till then either try to appreciate them, and if they are really so bad, then get a job and move out.
Original post by Anonymous
Go do it then, go get drunk and get STD's destroy your health, with your new found "freedom"

Having strict parents who are being strict for your benefit isn't necessarily a bad thing. And its certainly better than not having parents who care.

When you have your own money, and live without them then you can do what you want.
Till then either try to appreciate them, and if they are really so bad, then get a job and move out.

Literally dont want to drink and never have and i dont want sex. I guess my humour didnt come through when i said 'dress like a slut' Just want to say my thoughts and wear my hair in a bun. Thats all.
Reply 8
Just go out and do those things then, I don't think 'dressing like a slut' will empower you at all.

Asian male here and am not religious but hardly headline worthy..
I wish i could sugarcoat it for you but honestly us asian females do have it hard, a lot of us aren't allowed to speak our minds or do whatever we want. it's the harsh reality of life and I'm sorry it sucks for you rn. I'm gonna guess you're in your teens so maybe you could think of moving out for uni (if you decide to go) if you really wanna get out of all the rules and restrictions? apart from that I don't know how to advise you in terms of privileges and freedom. I know it's basically impossible to change an asian parent's mindset and, if you try, it usually comes with a lot of arguments and conflict. if you're prepared to go through that then by all means go ahead but I personally don't think it's worth it if you're gonna move out soon.

you should be allowed to at least wear skinny jeans and ankle length skirts, you're right. if your parents aren't letting you wear that sort of stuff maybe you could try explain how a lot of girls wear this sort of stuff around here and you don't wanna feel left out? I think that's at least worth a shot and it shouldn't spark a massive argument if you talk about it respectfully. it's not like you wanna wear booty shorts and a crop top right? (not that that's a bad thing)

also asian parents love respect, I'm sure you know, so I guess as long as you kinda 'kiss up' to them and respect them while you try and talk to them about this then they shouldn't get too angry. hope this helped xx
Day of Judgment is nearing 🤦*♂️
Original post by hhhhhhhwusjs
Day of Judgment is nearing 🤦*♂️

It is tbh
Original post by confusedpeaches
I wish i could sugarcoat it for you but honestly us asian females do have it hard, a lot of us aren't allowed to speak our minds or do whatever we want. it's the harsh reality of life and I'm sorry it sucks for you rn. I'm gonna guess you're in your teens so maybe you could think of moving out for uni (if you decide to go) if you really wanna get out of all the rules and restrictions? apart from that I don't know how to advise you in terms of privileges and freedom. I know it's basically impossible to change an asian parent's mindset and, if you try, it usually comes with a lot of arguments and conflict. if you're prepared to go through that then by all means go ahead but I personally don't think it's worth it if you're gonna move out soon.

you should be allowed to at least wear skinny jeans and ankle length skirts, you're right. if your parents aren't letting you wear that sort of stuff maybe you could try explain how a lot of girls wear this sort of stuff around here and you don't wanna feel left out? I think that's at least worth a shot and it shouldn't spark a massive argument if you talk about it respectfully. it's not like you wanna wear booty shorts and a crop top right? (not that that's a bad thing)

also asian parents love respect, I'm sure you know, so I guess as long as you kinda 'kiss up' to them and respect them while you try and talk to them about this then they shouldn't get too angry. hope this helped xx

skinny jeans? Mate she can do that when her parents are dead. If she wants to go have a boyfriend who is going to treat her like a slt and do stuff to her and then leave her when she finally announces that she has his child, then she might know who is right and who is wrong. Sad truth to you and OP huun, parents are ALWAYS right. I did the same bloody mistake OP did and I actually did run away and that was the worst part of my life and I regret it.
Original post by TJ1997
Just go out and do those things then, I don't think 'dressing like a slut' will empower you at all.

Asian male here and am not religious but hardly headline worthy..

true!

agreed! If OP thinks that she is the smartest woman in the world who wants to be "modern" and then get pregnant before she goes to uni while her parents might actually even pay for her uni (my parents are damn religious but they paid for my sisters education and even sent her off to uni to live there) then she probably needs to move out and start making money and go her own way. To the OP: Stop biting the hand that feeds you. I know this aint an excuse to what they do but if you dont like them, then dont live with them. Stop belittling them!
She’s a troll! Look at her name!
Blatant racist “white” troll
She’s a troll! Look at her name!

Blatant racist “white” troll

she probs is a troll!
Original post by confusedpeaches
I wish i could sugarcoat it for you but honestly us asian females do have it hard, a lot of us aren't allowed to speak our minds or do whatever we want. it's the harsh reality of life and I'm sorry it sucks for you rn.

you should be allowed to at least wear skinny jeans and ankle length skirts, you're right. if your parents aren't letting you wear that sort of stuff maybe you could try explain how a lot of girls wear this sort of stuff around here and you don't wanna feel left out?

I wish I could sugarcoat it for you but Asian females do not have it hard. A lot of you come from stable and supportive families, with good homecooked food and are actively encouraged with education and are made aware of good career options and choices. Just look at the success of Asian females within the healthcare sector for example, how many doctors, opticians etc.

White working class females (and males) have it hard as they significantly underachieve in education and have worse career prospects, and are more likely to be directionless in life etc.
And guess what this is because they have more "freedom" to wear what they want, smoke drink, have sex etc.

And yet with all these advantages you think you "have it hard" because you can't "speak your mind or do whatever you want"

For all the benefits you get to think you have it hard because you "don't get to wear skinny jeans" is ridiculous.

The educational and career aspirations given by strict Asian parents can benefit you over a life time. the "freedom" you miss out on pales in comparison to this.
Once you move out, you have the rest of your life to do what you want anyway
so its only a temporary thing you miss out on.

whereas for white people whose parents haven't guided them well, the detrimental impact of the "freedom" and lack of aspiration for education and solid career choices greatly reduces their long term prospects.

So if you think you have it hard because you "can't wear skinny jeans" think again.

for now, stop taking for granted the benefits of having strict parents, which give you a LOT of advantages which a lot white young people don't get and would do better if they had them.
I wish I could sugarcoat it for you but Asian females do not have it hard. A lot of you come from stable and supportive families, with good homecooked food and are actively encouraged with education and are made aware of good career options and choices. Just look at the success of Asian females within the healthcare sector for example, how many doctors, opticians etc.

White working class females (and males) have it hard as they significantly underachieve in education and have worse career prospects, and are more likely to be directionless in life etc.
And guess what this is because they have more "freedom" to wear what they want, smoke drink, have sex etc.

And yet with all these advantages you think you "have it hard" because you can't "speak your mind or do whatever you want"

For all the benefits you get to think you have it hard because you "don't get to wear skinny jeans" is ridiculous.

The educational and career aspirations given by strict Asian parents can benefit you over a life time. the "freedom" you miss out on pales in comparison to this.
Once you move out, you have the rest of your life to do what you want anyway
so its only a temporary thing you miss out on.

whereas for white people whose parents haven't guided them well, the detrimental impact of the "freedom" and lack of aspiration for education and solid career choices greatly reduces their long term prospects.

So if you think you have it hard because you "can't wear skinny jeans" think again.

for now, stop taking for granted the benefits of having strict parents, which give you a LOT of advantages which a lot white young people don't get and would do better if they had them.

VERY GOOD EXPLANATION!!

And actual proof to prove your point btw

https://www.ethnicity-facts-figures.service.gov.uk/work-pay-and-benefits/pay-and-income/household-income/latest
Reply 17
You live in UK so you got freedom how to dress and how to live with own choice.
My girlfriend from Asian too as well same religion as you but different denomination of Muslim, she lives as follows accordingly at the same time performed religious duties too and outfits are depending on occasions and functions, as well as their immediate families too (ultra liberal Muslim)
I wish for you best of luck.
😘🤲

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending