The Student Room Group

BLM inspired man kneels on white baby's neck to fight racism

https://newsdesk.io/photo-appears-to-show-black-lives-matter-supporters-holding-down-and-kneeling-on-neck-of-white-baby/

Is this a genuine photograph? If it is photoshopped we will no doubt be told, but it appears genuine on the surface. And it is pretty appalling if so. Unconscionable.

And even if it IS fake, it will be believed, so tarnished is BLM. The latest polls in the US show that more people now disapprove of BLM than support it. The speed of its fall from grace has been stunning.

What went wrong? How did a political message become so toxic, so quickly?

And why did something that tried to make things better end up making everything even worse? With (perhaps) innocent babies being brutalised because of the colour of their skin?

Thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
That's obviously some white guy trying to make fun of blm. I doubt it's real tho.

The reason why blm has lost support from white people is because it challenges there supremacacy and power, any time black people in america have tried to gain equality, they have quickly been silenced.
Reply 2
Original post by Nabu123
That's obviously some white guy trying to make fun of blm. I doubt it's real tho.

The reason why blm has lost support from white people is because it challenges there supremacacy and power, any time black people in america have tried to gain equality, they have quickly been silenced.

Or they just dont like the idea of a mob of rioters burning places down, peddling their anti west views (like their entire manifesto) and, as you just did, calling all white people irrevocably racist.
If you want people to agree with you its a good idea not to insult them from the off, such as that utter garbage of 'silence is violence' mantra.
Original post by Nabu123

This beyond nonsense. White people have been falling over themselves to apologise for being white, in some cases, literally. Your explanation also wouldn’t explain why BLM has lost support, if the statement we’re that BLM was never supported by white people then perhaps it would hold a bit more water.

Original post by Napp
Or they just dont like the idea of a mob of rioters burning places down, peddling their anti west views (like their entire manifesto) and, as you just did, calling all white people irrevocably racist.
If you want people to agree with you its a good idea not to insult them from the off, such as that utter garbage of 'silence is violence' mantra.

It’s interesting that BLM and other groups/people of that ilk only decided that silence is violence a couple of months back and only in relation to this issue. Is their silence on all of the other horrendous things going on around the world violence?
Original post by Nabu123

And that's a no true Scotsman fallacy.
Original post by generallee
The latest polls in the US show that more people now disapprove of BLM than support it. The speed of its fall from grace has been stunning.

Which poll? I was able to find a poll published this month which found that 63% of Americans support BLM.
Reply 6
Reply 8
Original post by Captain Haddock
So when you said 'people' you meant 'white people'?

Yes.

You'll be saying that a survey that screens on the grounds of ethnicity is racist next!
Yes.

Why?
Reply 10
Original post by DSilva
That shows 50% support the movement and 36% oppose. Not sure that constitutes a "stunning fall from grave".

Perhaps though you should consider why so many (basically a majority) support the movement.

It says 44% oppose it to 41% support?
Reply 11
Yes.

You'll be saying that a survey that screens on the grounds of ethnicity is racist next!

You claimed polls showed more people opposed than supported the movement, yet to arrive at that conclusion you have only given the figure for white people. If you include all people in the poll, more people support than oppose the movement.
Reply 12
Original post by Napp
It says 44% oppose it to 41% support?

That's the figure for white people. If you scroll down you can see that overall, including all those polled, there was 50% who support and 36% who oppose.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by DSilva
That's just the figure for white people. Overall, including all those polled, there was 50% support and 36% oppose.

Ah yes, sorry i hadnt scrolled down far enough :colondollar:
I'd be curious what their datasets are for this though. After all, if the polling is only done in the metropolises, for example, then this survey is effectively worthless.
Reply 14
Original post by Napp
Ah yes, sorry i hadnt scrolled down far enough :colondollar:
I'd be curious what their datasets are for this though. After all, if the polling is only done in the metropolises, for example, then this survey is effectively worthless.

They're a legitimate polling company, so I'd assume their datasers are reasonably reliable. Other polls have support for BLM higher than this.
Reply 15
Original post by DSilva
They're a legitimate polling company, so I'd assume their datasers are reasonably reliable. Other polls have support for BLM higher than this.

Aye many are, but there will always be issues with the underlying data sets. A rather glaring example (if somewhat facetious) being when news companies do their polling.
Either way, not doubting that blm enjoys a relative like compared to dislike more curious as to the true percentages.
Yes.

So when you said, "The latest polls in the US show that more people now disapprove of BLM", by "people" you only meant white people. My mistake, I forgot they're the only ones who matter? 😂😂😂😂
Original post by DSilva
You claimed polls showed more people opposed than supported the movement, yet to arrive at that conclusion you have only given the figure for white people. If you include all people in the poll, more people support than oppose the movement.

Yes it was rather sloppy of me.

The data doesn't support my premise, but that doesn't mean that there hasn't been the beginnings of a turning of the tide. Some of us always knew that from its very outset BLM was a nihilistic Marxist revolutionary organisation, but it takes a while for the mainstream to catch up with us. By the look of these polls there is still some catching up to do.

Of course the movement could have been co-opted by moderates and been a force for good, and made things better not worse, but how likely was that to happen? The US is like a bonfire drenched in petrol in racial terms and BLM is the match that is setting it ablaze.
Original post by SHallowvale
So when you said, "The latest polls in the US show that more people now disapprove of BLM", by "people" you only meant white people. My mistake, I forgot they're the only ones who matter? 😂😂😂😂

The notion that only white people's views matter is what white American liberals sub consciously think, funnily enough. If you believe in the concept of "White Fragility" anyway, which is all the rage now they tell me.

It is certainly true that that the Black Lives Matter campaign has been suborned by white people. I don't know what the percentage is of white people on the rallies, but one hardly sees a black face amongst them. Ironic, isn't it?
The notion that only white people's views matter is what white American liberals sub consciously think, funnily enough. If you believe in the concept of "White Fragility" anyway, which is all the rage now they tell me.

It is certainly true that that the Black Lives Matter campaign has been suborned by white people. I don't know what the percentage is of white people on the rallies, but one hardly sees a black face amongst them. Ironic, isn't it?

So why did you claim that a majority disapprove of BLM?

Hell, the poll you gave doesn't even support your claim even if you only were to look at white Americans; 44% < 50%.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending