The Student Room Group

Help for paranoia

Hi,

I have had declining mental health since October and since then I have struggled with paranoia. Over time it has became increasingly worse and I have been and felt impulsive recently because of it and wanting to control it. I was somewhat diagnosed with BPD in May and I am on the waiting list for DBT. However, I am unsure know whether that diagnosis applies because I realise paranoia/distrust is my main problem. I am not completely diagnosed yet, with BPD or anything, so I am going to mention this when I see my psychiatrist in a month. However, waiting a month to acknowledge this feel like such a long time. Also, I am really worried I will be diagnosed wrong and the feelings of constant threat won’t be taken seriously, because this will May my mental health decline further. I am in a really vulnerable place.

Thank you.
Do you have hobbies that triggers your paranoia? Before, I used to have paranoia from watching too much crime investigations. I know it may seem irrelevant but sometimes little things that we don't notice much triggers our emotion. I'm sorry for that by the way! I hope you can overcome it, don't lose hope :smile:
What sort of stuff are you paranoid about exactly?
Original post by Anonymous
Hi,

I have had declining mental health since October and since then I have struggled with paranoia. Over time it has became increasingly worse and I have been and felt impulsive recently because of it and wanting to control it. I was somewhat diagnosed with BPD in May and I am on the waiting list for DBT. However, I am unsure know whether that diagnosis applies because I realise paranoia/distrust is my main problem. I am not completely diagnosed yet, with BPD or anything, so I am going to mention this when I see my psychiatrist in a month. However, waiting a month to acknowledge this feel like such a long time. Also, I am really worried I will be diagnosed wrong and the feelings of constant threat won’t be taken seriously, because this will May my mental health decline further. I am in a really vulnerable place.

Thank you.

Ok - as you say yourself, you have not been properly diagnosed. Nobody on here - or you - can make that diagnosis. You need a clinician to tell you whether you have a mental illness or not, what the nature of that might be, and what can be done to assist.

I'm not sure why you are concerned about being mis-diagnosed. When I go to my doctor or dentist, I have sufficient confidence in their professional expertise to assume their diagnosis is correct. Likewise, when I call my plumber, I believe he has sufficient experience to deal with my plumbing issues. if you have some concerns about your medical practitioners, then you should consider changing to someone you feel more attuned to.

Without knowing anything about you, there are many, many things that you can do to boost your mental health instantly. Whether you choose to do these things or not is in your own hands - these things are not "alternative therapies" - many people who have suffered from anxiety and depression report that they are more beneficial than certain medications.
(1) exercise - particularly in green space
(2) relaxation - particularly before bedtime to ensure a good night's sleep
(3) diet - cutting out all the things that create "highs and lows" - ie cigarettes, drugs, sugar, caffeine, alcohol
(4) drinking 3 litres of water a day and remaining hydrated.
These all improve mood and general health. "mental health" is not different from "health", the mind is made of matter. trying to improve your general health should have an impact on your mood.
Reply 4
Original post by Noodlzzz
What sort of stuff are you paranoid about exactly?

I feel like people are against me and I feel that people will hurt me, even my family. I struggle living alone and with anyone. I never feel safe anywhere.
Reply 5
Original post by TabithaFord99
Ok - as you say yourself, you have not been properly diagnosed. Nobody on here - or you - can make that diagnosis. You need a clinician to tell you whether you have a mental illness or not, what the nature of that might be, and what can be done to assist.

I'm not sure why you are concerned about being mis-diagnosed. When I go to my doctor or dentist, I have sufficient confidence in their professional expertise to assume their diagnosis is correct. Likewise, when I call my plumber, I believe he has sufficient experience to deal with my plumbing issues. if you have some concerns about your medical practitioners, then you should consider changing to someone you feel more attuned to.

Without knowing anything about you, there are many, many things that you can do to boost your mental health instantly. Whether you choose to do these things or not is in your own hands - these things are not "alternative therapies" - many people who have suffered from anxiety and depression report that they are more beneficial than certain medications.
(1) exercise - particularly in green space
(2) relaxation - particularly before bedtime to ensure a good night's sleep
(3) diet - cutting out all the things that create "highs and lows" - ie cigarettes, drugs, sugar, caffeine, alcohol
(4) drinking 3 litres of water a day and remaining hydrated.
These all improve mood and general health. "mental health" is not different from "health", the mind is made of matter. trying to improve your general health should have an impact on your mood.

I see a psychiatrist so I am receiving help. I am nearly going to be diagnosed with BPD but i feel this doesn't explain the paranoia/distrust, so I am scared to be misdiagnosed if this is made official.
Reply 6
Original post by Chantel616
Do you have hobbies that triggers your paranoia? Before, I used to have paranoia from watching too much crime investigations. I know it may seem irrelevant but sometimes little things that we don't notice much triggers our emotion. I'm sorry for that by the way! I hope you can overcome it, don't lose hope :smile:

No, I don't have many hobbies because i struggle to concentrate and relax.
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous
I feel like people are against me and I feel that people will hurt me, even my family. I struggle living alone and with anyone. I never feel safe anywhere.

I need to add that this distrust makes me feel suicidal.

Quick Reply

Latest