The Student Room Group

More trouble for airlines with UK/Spain travel quarantine

Jet2 is contacting customers on the Balearic and Canary Islands to ask them to end their package holidays early, the BBC has learned.
Hundreds of customers have had flights back to the UK cancelled and been asked to leave sooner.

Jet2 says it cannot afford to keep sending empty planes to pick up passengers on many different dates.

Customers due to return from Spain in early August have been told to return earlier.

Is this evidence of even more pressure that the airline industry is under?

Full article here:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/53595962
Thank you to those people who have been stupid enough to book flights in what is really the middle of a global pandemic. They've done their best to keep the travel industry going. Absolutely no sympathy. Pure stupidity to book flights in the first place.
Original post by imlikeahermit
Thank you to those people who have been stupid enough to book flights in what is really the middle of a global pandemic. They've done their best to keep the travel industry going. Absolutely no sympathy. Pure stupidity to book flights in the first place.

Absolutely, I'm more worried about the economy than holiday makers to be honest. :tongue:
(Excluding loved ones, obviously.)
Original post by 04MR17
Absolutely, I'm more worried about the economy than holiday makers to be honest. :tongue:
(Excluding loved ones, obviously.)

To be fair, one cannot deny they've done their bit. Their stupidity has kept the travel industry going, so that must be applauded I suppose...

This.
It is evidence of the small margins of the airline and travel industry.

I can understand restrictions to the Spanish mainland, and given the number of flights from Majorca to Barcelona, why Majorica and perhaps Ibiza is included, but cannot understand why the Canary Islands are. I cannot accept the argument for simplicity by saying all of Spain- even though most of us would probably not wish to be on holiday with some of those who go to some Spanish resorts, I do not consider excluding the Canary Islands too confusing.

As for sympathy, if you booked your holiday before last Christmas, I have some, but if you did post mid-march, then perhaps you should have thought of the possibility of restrictions (quarantine or where you could go in the resort).
Original post by barnetlad
It is evidence of the small margins of the airline and travel industry.

I can understand restrictions to the Spanish mainland, and given the number of flights from Majorca to Barcelona, why Majorica and perhaps Ibiza is included, but cannot understand why the Canary Islands are. I cannot accept the argument for simplicity by saying all of Spain- even though most of us would probably not wish to be on holiday with some of those who go to some Spanish resorts, I do not consider excluding the Canary Islands too confusing.

As for sympathy, if you booked your holiday before last Christmas, I have some, but if you did post mid-march, then perhaps you should have thought of the possibility of restrictions (quarantine or where you could go in the resort).

It is political, if the Spanish want British tourists (read money) then they need to soften their approach to Gibraltar. This the Government playing hardball.
Original post by DiddyDec
It is political, if the Spanish want British tourists (read money) then they need to soften their approach to Gibraltar. This the Government playing hardball.

I think you have a point, as there are other places where there are certainly higher rates of infections than the Canary and Balearic Islands who have not been added. I also assume that Dominic Cummings does not holiday there.
Original post by barnetlad
I think you have a point, as there are other places where there are certainly higher rates of infections than the Canary and Balearic Islands who have not been added. I also assume that Dominic Cummings does not holiday there.

It is the only viable reason for doing a such a drastic blanket ruling. We aren't quarantining US travellers even though they have far worse rates nationally than Spain.
Original post by DiddyDec
It is the only viable reason for doing a such a drastic blanket ruling. We aren't quarantining US travellers even though they have far worse rates nationally than Spain.

We are but not really enforcing it much I suspect. Here is the current list of no quarantine.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-travel-corridors#countries-and-territories-with-no-self-isolation-requirement-on-arrival-in-england

Notice how Gibraltar is on this list. Apparently an exception will be made for Real Madrid even though one of their team has tested positive for the virus.

Perhaps if the English hadn't been treated like second class citizens over the last four months then we wouldn't want to leave. I am just surprised they bothered with a return ticket.
Original post by Nick'sLastStand
Perhaps if the English hadn't been treated like second class citizens over the last four months then we wouldn't want to leave. I am just surprised they bothered with a return ticket.

Hadnt been treated like second class citizens? You having a laugh?
Hadnt been treated like second class citizens? You having a laugh?

Yes for example when a certain ethnic minority can trash UK town centres and still claim victimhood, yet when white people decided they wanted to go fishing, walking in the hills or to the beach, out came the police drones and helicopters.

Would you attack migrants flying in to the UK with such venom?

Our borders were never even closed.
Original post by Mahanakhon
Yes for example when a certain ethnic minority can trash UK town centres and still claim victimhood, yet when white people decided they wanted to go fishing, walking in the hills or to the beach, out came the police drones and helicopters.

Not going to disagree with this to be honest. The hypocrisy of government approaches to different situations has been shambolic.
Would you attack migrants flying in to the UK with such venom?

Our borders were never even closed.

This conversation is more about tourism than immigration. :smile:

Nor is this about racial tensions (about which I wholeheartedly disagree with this post but that's a conversation for another thread).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending