The Student Room Group

Unsure after study abroad

I'm just about to finish my year of working abroad in Spain (I did this independently and not through uni - I'm 27) and I really do not want it to end. I love it here and I love the Spanish culture, language, people and pretty much everything. Back in February, it suddenly occurred to me that I could live here and now I'm not sure I could see myself living anywhere else. The idea of renting or buying in the UK just doesn't seem worth it to me. I prefer Spain so much more to the UK, it just feels safer and more relaxed. The weather definitely helps! It's made such a difference to my mental health. My issue now is that I don't know if I feel this way because I'm leaving or if I really want to live here. I have a bf back home (who would 100% not move here) which I think is the biggest reason why I wouldn't just jump straight into it. I just feel really unsure of a lot and am not sure what to do for the best!
Original post by eldorado14
I'm just about to finish my year of working abroad in Spain (I did this independently and not through uni - I'm 27) and I really do not want it to end. I love it here and I love the Spanish culture, language, people and pretty much everything. Back in February, it suddenly occurred to me that I could live here and now I'm not sure I could see myself living anywhere else. The idea of renting or buying in the UK just doesn't seem worth it to me. I prefer Spain so much more to the UK, it just feels safer and more relaxed. The weather definitely helps! It's made such a difference to my mental health. My issue now is that I don't know if I feel this way because I'm leaving or if I really want to live here. I have a bf back home (who would 100% not move here) which I think is the biggest reason why I wouldn't just jump straight into it. I just feel really unsure of a lot and am not sure what to do for the best!

Hi there,

Wow, Spain sounds absolutely amazing! It sounds like you don't want to make any sudden decisions which you will regret especially if your boyfriend would not want to move there with you. However, you also said that you considered living in Spain since February, which doesn't sound like you're only thinking about it because you're about to leave. I also think that it is a wise decision, as you suggested, to wait before jumping straight into it. Coming away from Spain and giving yourself some time to consider the pros and cons would be useful as this can help you to rationalise the decision. When you move back to England, you may decide that Spain might be a nice place to go on holiday in and leave it as your safe place for special occasions, or, as time goes on, you may realise that you need to live there, in which case a conversation with your boyfriend would be necessary.

Whatever you decide, I wish you the best of luck and hope that you are happy at the end of it.

Safe travels! :smile:
Rachel Tope - YSJ Student Rep
I know how you feel I have a house in Spain in one of those little white washed villages and there is nowhere I’d rather be except for it’s not even close warm enough the house in the winter. I’d love to live in Spain it really is so much nicer than the UK.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending