The Student Room Group

British and English people visiting Turkey

This is a complete generalisation and I guess it’s based more in observation that anything else.

I hope I am not seen as stereotyping here.I myself am not British or English. I no longer live in the U.K. but used to live there for 7 years.

One thing I’ve noticed about British people and particularly English people is that among those who visit Turkey they mostly visit seaside/beach resort places like Izmir, Antalya, Bodrum, Marmaris, Kas, Kalkan, Dalaman and very few visit Istanbul and Capadocia or places like Pammukale.

I have met a few English people who have been to Istanbul on holiday but most go to any of the seaside/beach resort places I have mentioned.

It seems as if they view Turkey as a seaside and beach resort destination and not as a history and culture destination.

I’m just wondering why is that?

I’ve been to Turkey twice the first time to Istanbul and Capadocia and the second time just to Istanbul.

Most non-English and non-British people I know make Istanbul and Capadocia their priorities for their first visit to Turkey which in my opinion should be priorities.

Yes I know it’s people’s own lives and it’s up to them how they decide to travel but how can you have your first holiday to Turkey without visiting Istanbul?!

In my opinion, Istanbul is the most essential city in Turkey to visit first before anywhere else.
(edited 8 months ago)
Same reason they flock to Benidorm and the like I expect. They just want to drink until they pass out on the beach and lie partially comatose on a sun bed until the bars open again. I doubt many of them are travelling for cultural purposes, it's to go somewhere warm and sunny (and usually drink a lot).
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 2
I see what you are saying.

But plenty of British and English people visit Spain for cultural and historical purposes. Whilst many do visit Benidorm, there are many who visit Madrid and Barcelona. However, I have come across very very few who visit/have been to Istanbul and even fewer who visit/have been to Cappadocia.
Reply 3
Original post by midnight999
I see what you are saying.

But plenty of British and English people visit Spain for cultural and historical purposes. Whilst many do visit Benidorm, there are many who visit Madrid and Barcelona. However, I have come across very very few who visit/have been to Istanbul and even fewer who visit/have been to Cappadocia.

Madrid/Barcelona:
- Cheaper to get to
- Quicker to get to
- 1hr time zone different, not three

So are better for a weekend away which is all people go to them for.

Which is why more people go to Morocco than Istanbul.
A lot of single UK tourists aged 18-40 are just seeking relatively inexpensive package resort style holidays to popular tourist friendly places where they can have lots of sun, sea, booze, sex and easy access to plenty of likeminded native speakers of english based nearby to their accomodation.

It's the same when they travel to Ibiza, Bali, Magaluf and Corfu.
This is particularly true of the 'stag & hen party' and 'club 18-30' types of uk tourists.
Most of whom can be disruptively loud and make for the most obnoxious sort of tourist groups, habitually consuming far too much booze when on overseas holidays.
Reply 5
Istanbul and all of Turkey are 2 hours ahead of the UK (not 3 hours). I don't think people base their weekend away holiday destination on hours of time difference even though longer time difference can contribute to more jetlag.

I have noticed a lot more English and British people go to Morocco specifically Marrakesch compared to Istanbul. London to Istanbul and London to Morocco are both 3.5 hours flights. So on this regard more British and English people should visit Istanbul but it appears to be more common for them to go to Turkish seaside resorts like Izmir, Antalya, Bodrum, Marmaris, Kas, Kalkan and Dalaman.

Original post by Quady
Madrid/Barcelona:
- Cheaper to get to
- Quicker to get to
- 1hr time zone different, not three

So are better for a weekend away which is all people go to them for.

Which is why more people go to Morocco than Istanbul.
Reply 6
Original post by londonmyst
A lot of single UK tourists aged 18-40 are just seeking relatively inexpensive package resort style holidays to popular tourist friendly places where they can have lots of sun, sea, booze, sex and easy access to plenty of likeminded native speakers of english based nearby to their accomodation.

It's the same when they travel to Ibiza, Bali, Magaluf and Corfu.
This is particularly true of the 'stag & hen party' and 'club 18-30' types of uk tourists.
Most of whom can be disruptively loud and make for the most obnoxious sort of tourist groups, habitually consuming far too much booze when on overseas holidays.

Yes I see what you are saying,

Whilst many UK tourists go to party places like Ibiza and Magaluf in Spain, plenty still visit Madrid and Barcelona. Similarly, whilst many go to party places like Corfu in Greece, plenty still visit Athens. Yet it is not overly common for UK tourists to visit non-party places in Turkey like Istanbul and Cappadocia.

Quick Reply

Latest