The Student Room Group

Please Help REVISIoN

Hello I’m going into year 11 this year I want to start revising now as I think it is a good time to but I honestly just don’t know where to start
Any advice on where to start and how to start would rally help me as I want to achieve the best grades possible for me
I really struggle with maths I find it one of my hardest subjects to learn and I would just like some help on where to start
Any advice would help
Thanks
Reply 1
Might be a little early to start revision for GCSE. There may be a reduced syllabus possibly being put in place before September start so what you could be learning may not be in the revised syllabus. Just wait and make sure to talk with head of subjects to get their opinions.
For maths the best way to revise is to do practice papers. Do as many past papers as you can, you’ll quickly realise that the majority of questions are asking the same things but with different numbers! So the more you practice, the better you will be at recognising what you need to do for maths. Also, making Flashcards for any equations you need like area of circle etc will be very helpful. Try and go through your syllabus for maths and highlight in red the topics you struggle with the most (for example, at gcse I struggled with interest), in yellow the topics you’re ok with but could use some more practice and then in green the things you’re good at. This will allow you to focus more of your time practicing questions for the topics you find hard and you can divide your time well. Good luck :wink: it’s never too early to start revision. Sure, they’re might be a reduced syllabus, but you’re still going to need this knowledge for future a-levels etc. Good on you for having the right attitude
Reply 3
Original post by unidoctor
Hey there, you definitely have the right mindset and starting early will help you in the run up to exam season. On Instagram (@unidoctor) I regularly post revision tips and my latest post may help you. My advice to you would be to break things down into small achievable goals - focus on consolidating your notes from year 10, and regularly go over the topics you found most difficult. When you go back to school, spend time every day making revision notes and going over what you learnt in class that day. This will save you so much time!

Thankyou very much for replying I will check out your Instagram for the revision tips and thanks for the advice I will definitely be doing this
Reply 4
Original post by micro123
Might be a little early to start revision for GCSE. There may be a reduced syllabus possibly being put in place before September start so what you could be learning may not be in the revised syllabus. Just wait and make sure to talk with head of subjects to get their opinions.

Thankyou
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous17!
For maths the best way to revise is to do practice papers. Do as many past papers as you can, you’ll quickly realise that the majority of questions are asking the same things but with different numbers! So the more you practice, the better you will be at recognising what you need to do for maths. Also, making Flashcards for any equations you need like area of circle etc will be very helpful. Try and go through your syllabus for maths and highlight in red the topics you struggle with the most (for example, at gcse I struggled with interest), in yellow the topics you’re ok with but could use some more practice and then in green the things you’re good at. This will allow you to focus more of your time practicing questions for the topics you find hard and you can divide your time well. Good luck :wink: it’s never too early to start revision. Sure, they’re might be a reduced syllabus, but you’re still going to need this knowledge for future a-levels etc. Good on you for having the right attitude

Thank you this has helped a lot I will definitely be doing this for maths as I have always found maths hard for me with working out numbers but this will help me loads thanks for taking the time to look at this
Original post by KarateKidK
Thank you this has helped a lot I will definitely be doing this for maths as I have always found maths hard for me with working out numbers but this will help me loads thanks for taking the time to look at this

No problem :wink: I didn’t struggle so much with gcse maths but at a-level I had a really hard time and this is what I used for my a-level revision. Hope it helps :smile:
Reply 7
No problem :wink: I didn’t struggle so much with gcse maths but at a-level I had a really hard time and this is what I used for my a-level revision. Hope it helps :smile:

Thank you this will help me improve my grades in maths I’m hoping I can get a grade 5 in maths as that is something I hope I can achieve
Hope you got the results you wanted in your a-level maths
Original post by KarateKidK
Thank you this will help me improve my grades in maths I’m hoping I can get a grade 5 in maths as that is something I hope I can achieve
Hope you got the results you wanted in your a-level maths

Thanks, I don’t know what I’ve got yet since results day is about 2 weeks away still and I didn’t get to actually sit an exam :frown: but, I managed to get a B in my last test. That was mid April. I’m hoping for an A though so fingers crossed, I’ll see soon enough

I hope you get the grade you want for maths when it comes to taking the exam! Good luck :wink:
Reply 9
Thanks, I don’t know what I’ve got yet since results day is about 2 weeks away still and I didn’t get to actually sit an exam :frown: but, I managed to get a B in my last test. That was mid April. I’m hoping for an A though so fingers crossed, I’ll see soon enough

I hope you get the grade you want for maths when it comes to taking the exam! Good luck :wink:

That’s good you got a B I hope you get the results you want as you have worked hard and should get the A you deserve and wish you the best of luck on results day
Thank you for all your help I will definitely be doing this with my revision
THIS IS HOW I DID MATHS:

For maths use the website onMaths.
Go to the topics section and work through all the ones you struggle with, all the higher ones if possible.

The first time you do a topic test its OK if it takes long. Use other websites to help you learnt the topic so you can answer the question. If you get a question wrong refresh the page and it will load the same question but with different numbers so you can try again. Theres usually only a few questions in a topic test, but they get progressively harder so it doesn't get boring and ensures you cover the whole topic quickly.

Once you've gone through it once and understood how to answer all the questions do it again and again until you don't get anything wrong(if you drop one or two marks for silly mistakes it's OK) and dont need to refresh . Try and finish it faster too (if you take too long repeat it, if you get something wrong finish the rest of the questions in the tests then repeat it.

Personally I think the most important skill is to be able to factorise quadratic even when coefficient is of x^2 is not one. So if you cant do this alresdy, then start with it.

Use spaced repition: once youve got it right do it again in about 2 days, then in about a week(if you didn't struggle) then in about two weeks. Any ones that you struggle a lot with repeat them more often. Each time you start a revision session do any ones you've done before that you need to do again and then try a new topic. Eventually you will get most/all the topics in higher done.
This will take a month or two.

Then, by December at least, if you've finished, just do past papers. You should find that most of the questions you can do without even thinking about it coz you will have done them lots of times. There will be a few questions where you have to think a bit more to decide what technique you need to use so you can spend more time on those.

You should end up with an 8, at least, with this method (me an my sis did this method, she was working at a 3 at the end of yr 10 and I was working at a 6 when I started this method but I did it halfway through year 11)
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by gyuigygh
THIS IS HOW I DID MATHS:

For maths use the website onMaths.
Go to the topics section and work through all the ones you struggle with, all the higher ones if possible.

The first time you do a topic test its OK if it takes long. Use other websites to help you learnt the topic so you can answer the question. If you get a question wrong refresh the page and it will load the same question but with different numbers so you can try again. Theres usually only a few questions in a topic test, but they get progressively harder so it doesn't get boring and ensures you cover the whole topic quickly.

Once you've gone through it once and understood how to answer all the questions do it again and again until you don't get anything wrong(if you drop one or two marks for silly mistakes it's OK) and dont need to refresh . Try and finish it faster too (if you take too long repeat it, if you get something wrong finish the rest of the questions in the tests then repeat it.

Personally I think the most important skill is to be able to factorise quadratic even when coefficient is of x^2 is not one. So if you cant do this alresdy, then start with it.

Use spaced repition: once youve got it right do it again in about 2 days, then in about a week(if you didn't struggle) then in about two weeks. Any ones that you struggle a lot with repeat them more often. Each time you start a revision session do any ones you've done before that you need to do again and then try a new topic. Eventually you will get most/all the topics in higher done.
This will take a month or two.

Then, by December at least, if you've finished, just do past papers. You should find that most of the questions you can do without even thinking about it coz you will have done them lots of times. There will be a few questions where you have to think a bit more to decide what technique you need to use so you can spend more time on those.

You should end up with an 8, at least, with this method (me an my sis did this method, she was working at a 3 at the end of yr 10 and I was working at a 6 when I started this method but I did it halfway through year 11)

Thank you for this I will definitely be making a start on this method as this will help me understand the topics a lot more and by repeating the questions it will help me a lot Thank you for taking the time to read this
Thanks for the help

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending