The Student Room Group

Oxbridge Law Applicants 2021

I’m making this to see if anyone has the same worries as me - work experience, LNAT etc as coronavirus has affected how I had planned things. Is anyone having the same problems because I’m getting paranoid that everyone else already has work experience but mine got cancelled?

Scroll to see replies

Im in the same boat as you, want to apply to oxford law 2021 yet have little to nothing for my personal statement.
I don't have a lot for my personal statement either and I'm already stressing about the LNAT aha.
Original post by Studentboy1333
Im in the same boat as you, want to apply to oxford law 2021 yet have little to nothing for my personal statement.

Nice to know I’m not alone! I’ve done a lot of research since my slight breakdown 3 weeks ago and I wouldn’t worry too much about it. If it helps my college organised a zoom meeting with a Brasenose admissions person today and he said work experience honestly doesn’t matter as its not the best way to show genuine interest in law, especially now as most have been cancelled. As long as you do the best you can with reading etc while in lockdown we should be fine!
Original post by Omgcobbly
I don't have a lot for my personal statement either and I'm already stressing about the LNAT aha.

Yeah the LNAT is really getting to me too as I want to apply for 3 that need it so I don’t want to limit my options too much. My college usually starts enrichments to help with admissions tests in the summer term but obviously we can’t have those now so I feel like it’s just going to be a case of cramming revision in September unless I keep ahead of things!
Realistically, if we only go back to school in summer we can't sit the lnat immediately and the government needs to push back deadline for all UCAS things
Realistically, if we only go back to school in summer we can't sit the lnat immediately and the government needs to push back deadline for all UCAS things

I agree, but I don’t think the government can do much about deadlines unfortunately. Certainly the LNAT is a private organisation, so that would be up to Oxford to extend their deadline for sitting it, and I don’t think they’ve said they will.
Honesty such a strange time to be a year12 :confused:only few Elite schools are even keeping their students in the loop of uni applications unlike mine so i think at least the standard of applicants this year may take a hit
Honesty such a strange time to be a year12 :confused:only few Elite schools are even keeping their students in the loop of uni applications unlike mine so i think at least the standard of applicants this year may take a hit

Another factor I’ve just been made aware of too is that an overwhelming majority of year 13s are expressing a wish to defer entry to 2021 because they don’t want to learn online. If unis allow this that seriously limits the number of places for us. I know they probably won’t but everything’s just getting to me rn
Original post by Ashstudent1
Another factor I’ve just been made aware of too is that an overwhelming majority of year 13s are expressing a wish to defer entry to 2021 because they don’t want to learn online. If unis allow this that seriously limits the number of places for us. I know they probably won’t but everything’s just getting to me rn

I really do hope that isn't true but wow at this rate nothings looking on the up :colonhash:
Personally if i was a y13 i and received an offer from one of my top 3 choices for uni i would not want to defer and let that opportunity pass for a year , regardless of circumstances
I really do hope that isn't true but wow at this rate nothings looking on the up :colonhash:
Personally if i was a y13 i and received an offer from one of my top 3 choices for uni i would not want to defer and let that opportunity pass for a year , regardless of circumstances

There’s a thread on here about it called is it worth going to uni or something. I think Oxford allow a very limited number of deferrals anyway, and they usually have to be declared in the initial application. But if people really want to they can withdraw their application and reapply to Oxford again with us and then their ps looks better than ours - they’ll have work experience, actual grades, and more time to pursue their interest.
Is anyone else facing trouble with booking the LNAT right now?
Don’t know how I sign up for it since I don’t have a UCAS number? My school hasn’t really done anything about applying to uni and I’m not sure if slots close to the 15 Oct deadline would sell-out quickly. Does anyone know about availability for testing and what dates are in highest demand?

Original post by nyx2911
Is anyone else facing trouble with booking the LNAT right now?
Ridiculous that we have to pay fifty quid as well.
Yep. All the test centres are saying that they do not do the LNAT test. I have checked every single one. You having the same trouble?
Reply 15
Original post by Newsummer6
Yep. All the test centres are saying that they do not do the LNAT test. I have checked every single one. You having the same trouble?

This is an issue being experienced by everyone at the moment. They are working on fixing the issue. I think they planned to have it fixed by Monday (tomorrow).
Original post by WillPhillips
This is an issue being experienced by everyone at the moment. They are working on fixing the issue. I think they planned to have it fixed by Monday (tomorrow).

Ah thank you
Original post by WillPhillips

Wow okay thats a relief. Thanks so much!
You don’t need a UCAS number and you won’t take LNAT through your school as a centre (although I guess they might help with preparation etc) - see here: https://lnat.ac.uk/registration/register-for-your-test/
Have just booked mine for 5th October. Was eligible for the bursary but you have to wait a week and I wanted to make sure my place was all secured.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending