The Student Room Group
Undergraduate Centre, Oxford Brookes University
Oxford Brookes University
Oxford

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jdplvy
Hi,

I'm thinking of applying to study anthropology at Brookes but I'm having some doubts. There seems to be a very negative buzz around the place judging from a lot of reviews and posts I've read in various places.

I'm wondering if there are any Brookes anthropology students on here who can give an opinion on the quality of the course?

Thanks.

I'm not an anthropologist but I can say there' no need to worry about a university's reputation in general.

What sort of jobs are you interested in after your degree? :smile:
Undergraduate Centre, Oxford Brookes University
Oxford Brookes University
Oxford
Original post by jdplvy
Hi,

I'm thinking of applying to study anthropology at Brookes but I'm having some doubts. There seems to be a very negative buzz around the place judging from a lot of reviews and posts I've read in various places.

https://www.studentcrowd.com/university-l1005033-s1008374-oxford_brookes_university-oxford#booking

I'm wondering if there are any Brookes anthropology students on here who can give an opinion on the quality of the course?

Thanks.

Hello @jdplvy,

Hope you are doing well. We are glad to hear you are considering Oxford Brookes University. :smile:

I am law student at Brookes and I will be going into my final year of study this year. I have personally had a positive experience at the University, the atmosphere is welcoming and I really enjoy my course. The modules offered by the University are what I looked at before joining and I have enjoyed them a lot, I also had the chance to select modules that I am interested in. I would recommend taking a close look at what the Anthropology course includes, which you can do so on the following web page: https://www.brookes.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/anthropology/

If you would like to speak to other students who attend Brookes and find out their experiences you can do so at the following link; by chatting to a Student Ambassador: https://www.brookes.ac.uk/studying-at-brookes/contact-and-meet-us/chat-to-a-student-ambassador/

I hope this will be able to help you somewhat in making your decision. If you would like me to elaborate further on anything I have mentioned, or if you have any questions about the University or Student Life, then please do feel free to ask. I would be more than happy to help. :smile:

All the best,

Shaf
Original post by jdplvy
Got into my first choice of Bristol instead!!! Thankfully.. Oxford Brookes sounds like a horrible place.

it’s actually a lovely uni! obviously it’s not for everyone and each person is different. glad you got into somewhere you’ll enjoy :smile:
Original post by jdplvy
Got into my first choice of Bristol instead!!! Thankfully.. Oxford Brookes sounds like a horrible place.

Congratulations! But you can't now say that you go to Oxford ..
Reply 5
Original post by pepsimaxcherry
it’s actually a lovely uni! obviously it’s not for everyone and each person is different. glad you got into somewhere you’ll enjoy :smile:

Well you're the first person I've encountered besides this official Oxford Brookes account that thinks that.
Original post by jdplvy
Well you're the first person I've encountered besides this official Oxford Brookes account that thinks that.

As I said, everyone is different. It’s a great uni for some people, and not a good choice for others :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by RogerOxon
Congratulations! But you can't now say that you go to Oxford ..

Yeah I can't now tippex out the 'Brookes' on the certificate.
Original post by jdplvy

I suspect that's because you joined the site 7 days ago. :smile:

I'm glad your query has now been answered. :yy:
Reply 9
Original post by jdplvy

Lucky you. You're right about Brookes. Whilst obviously some departments are better than others the overall standard is poor. On top of this the administrative side of things really lets the university down. One year for some reason they didn't notify student finance that half the students were attending, resulting in ques for the student devices desk going all around the building. If you ever need advice, you'll almost certainly be misinformed by staff members that don't really seem to care. I developed the tactic of going to student central, the academic advisers and the students union, getting all the contradictory advice in writing and then going with the version that I preferred. So not so bad for me but some people I know had their programs really messed up by the wrong advice they had received. Brookes union is also extremely poor.

https://www.theguardian.com/education/datablog/2012/sep/28/worst-student-unions-national-survey
books
hmm I was about to recommend but I saw that you want to do anthropology and got into Bristol too so...Bristol obviously in this case.

Oxford Brookes is not bad tho. I studied engineering there and it's very well regarded in the industry, among the likes of Bath. It's also very good for architecture, management, and stuff like real estate, etc. But life sciences and subjects like English, Law, etc ... they are not one of the best, if I'm not wrong.
Its more infamous for me as the Uni that let in the guy who bullied and abused his fresher girlfriend so much she committed suicide. A very sad story, which was on the news and in the papers.
Original post by 999tigger
Its more infamous for me as the Uni that let in the guy who bullied and abused his fresher girlfriend so much she committed suicide. A very sad story, which was on the news and in the papers.

Really? I've never heard of that. Can you point to me an article or smth
Original post by V1ct0r
Really? I've never heard of that. Can you point to me an article or smth

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/violent-predator-who-abused-teenage-12777210

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/oxford-brookes-decision-admit-bully-12778044

Incidentally Katherine Grainger has now left Oxford Brookes and it has remained without a chancellor since.
(edited 3 years ago)

"prestigious Oxford Brookes University" XD I'm dying. But seriously, it was such a tragedy.

Looking at that reminded me of a similar thing that happened at Warwick last year where someone snitched out on a facebook chat group where someone said he would "rape the whole flat".
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 16

They made Katherine Grainger look a complete fool there. I'm not surprised they're struggling to find a replacement.
It's just a money sucking machine, with one of the worst student unions in the country.
Original post by firestarter-
It's just a money sucking machine, with one of the worst student unions in the country.

Why is it a money sucking machine?
The bit about the student union is certainly true.

Latest

Trending

Trending