The Student Room Group

Can you draw anime/manga in the new gcse and still get a good grade?

So for one of my option I picked art and I don't think it is really suitable for me since all I could draw is anime. I get told off for drawing manga in art classes and my art teacher said my drawings are not realistic, even when I tried my best. The grade I got in my recent mock is a grade 5 which is a good pass, but the point is I'm not good at using other mediums other than coloured pencil and copic pen which in the new GCSE you need to use different mediums to get a high grade. I know you can get a* in the old GCSE even when you draw anime but I'm not sure if it still works, has anyone done this for the new gcse? please comment below if you did. Thanks a lot
p.s. I'm Y11 this year so I can't change my subjects anymore
p.p.s. Can you draw digital art? Cause I just find it easier
Reply 1
hi um i know this was a year ago's post and I'm not sure if you would see this but i wanna know if you got a good grade for doing anime art (if you still proceeded with it). i'm in year 11 this September, my teacher hasn't had a problem with us doing anime though. but i do struggle with it a little.
Depends on the school, in our school anime art style was not allowed as it was not 'traditional art', the highest you could get drawing in that style is a C/D. I loved drawing in the anime style so I was really upset when I found this out but hey, in the long wrong it helped me realise my full artistic potential and broaden my art style. i got a 7 by the way.

Like I said before it really is specific to your school as every school will have different artistic criteria to meet. Good Luck! :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by chueey
hi um i know this was a year ago's post and I'm not sure if you would see this but i wanna know if you got a good grade for doing anime art (if you still proceeded with it). i'm in year 11 this September, my teacher hasn't had a problem with us doing anime though. but i do struggle with it a little.

Hey, I got a 5 in art but that was bc I did not like art anymore and I put very few effort into my project and basically gave up with the subject
I think if your teacher is okay with your art style then you should be fine, but always talk to your teacher to be sure.
I know someone from different school drew anime for their final piece and still got a really high grade so I think it just depends on your school. Plus I think your teacher is the one who grades your work so if they are happy then you should be fine (Not 100% sure about this but I remember my art teacher mentioned something that the examiner only checks a few peoples art book in your year, because it is a big project so they won’t check everyone’s)
But if I could redo my art project again I would probably draw anime. I only found out that another girl in my class did anime for her project few weeks before my actual gcse so I couldn’t change my topic. I think we got the same/similar grades despite I hated my artworks so bad and I just chuck all my Gcse artworks into the bin, still regret about my decision and honestly forcing myself to draw something i don’t like is suffering and it was really boring. Just really did not want to put that effort into drawing.
But like PeachyMilk said drawing realistic stuff does help with drawing anime in the future, but I would probably do it in my own time instead. Gcse art takes a lot of effort and if you want a really high grades.
Hope this helps!
Reply 4
Original post by asa_1224
Hey, I got a 5 in art but that was bc I did not like art anymore and I put very few effort into my project and basically gave up with the subject
I think if your teacher is okay with your art style then you should be fine, but always talk to your teacher to be sure.
I know someone from different school drew anime for their final piece and still got a really high grade so I think it just depends on your school. Plus I think your teacher is the one who grades your work so if they are happy then you should be fine (Not 100% sure about this but I remember my art teacher mentioned something that the examiner only checks a few peoples art book in your year, because it is a big project so they won’t check everyone’s)
But if I could redo my art project again I would probably draw anime. I only found out that another girl in my class did anime for her project few weeks before my actual gcse so I couldn’t change my topic. I think we got the same/similar grades despite I hated my artworks so bad and I just chuck all my Gcse artworks into the bin, still regret about my decision and honestly forcing myself to draw something i don’t like is suffering and it was really boring. Just really did not want to put that effort into drawing.
But like PeachyMilk said drawing realistic stuff does help with drawing anime in the future, but I would probably do it in my own time instead. Gcse art takes a lot of effort and if you want a really high grades.
Hope this helps!

Ahh yea I will double check with my teacher if shes the one grading my work, my previous term grades were 7 but that was before identity project which had no anime style. But I do plan to incorporate realistic drawings into the project. My teacher once told us that there were examiners like you said but that this year they're looking at annotation more. I've also seen previous years artworks, I'm not sure if I saw anime style but I think it's fine for as long as I represent myself in the project :smile:
Thank you though for replying and explaining
Reply 5
Original post by PeachyMilk
Depends on the school, in our school anime art style was not allowed as it was not 'traditional art', the highest you could get drawing in that style is a C/D. I loved drawing in the anime style so I was really upset when I found this out but hey, in the long wrong it helped me realise my full artistic potential and broaden my art style. i got a 7 by the way.

Like I said before it really is specific to your school as every school will have different artistic criteria to meet. Good Luck!

Yea I think my school is okay with it, but to be safe I will involve realist art into my work as well (itll help too like you've said) there are a few other people also doing anime and one of them normally gets an 8 for term grades plus he is better at art. But thank you :smile: I hope to get at least a 7 for everything
Original post by chueey
Yea I think my school is okay with it, but to be safe I will involve realist art into my work as well (itll help too like you've said) there are a few other people also doing anime and one of them normally gets an 8 for term grades plus he is better at art. But thank you :smile: I hope to get at least a 7 for everything

Im sure you will exceed this grade sweetheart. I only got a 7 because I barely did work for my first component :smile:
What I personally did was use anime in a way that the style was in between the realistic and anime but I felt extremely disappointed that school may not let you because it’s your journey and you should be able to express yourself through art in a way the makes you happy
In general Art exam boards dont look favourably upon manga or cartoons in general tbh
As someone who got full marks in GCSE and A Level Art & Design you will fail if you do the majority of your work in one medium and style no matter what it is. The point of it is experimentation, using a wide variety of mediums and refining your work

Latest