The Student Room Group

What are my chances of getting into oxford

Is there a chance of me getting into oxford studying biochemistry if I have an average gcse results of a B but am predicted A*AA for my a levels my a level subjects are chemistry biology maths. Oxford has always been a big dream of mine but my gcse results were lower than I thought they would be. Is there still a chance of me getting in

Scroll to see replies

it would be great if anyone would answer this
It really does come down to other factors such as your admissions test, reference, interview and personal statement.
Original post by bored_user:)
It really does come down to other factors such as your admissions test, reference, interview and personal statement.

does gcse grades really matter? my gf got decent gcse grades (8 - 4) and she really wants to go to oxford.. she’s really smart too, i’m almost certain she’s going to get the best grades 😂
Original post by Bebsbe
Is there a chance of me getting into oxford studying biochemistry if I have an average gcse results of a B but am predicted A*AA for my a levels my a level subjects are chemistry biology maths. Oxford has always been a big dream of mine but my gcse results were lower than I thought they would be. Is there still a chance of me getting in

Oxford does consider GCSE grades - were there extenuating circumstances as to why your grades were comparatively low?

I think your grades will be a barrier otherwise.
Original post by OnABus2Neverland
does gcse grades really matter? my gf got decent gcse grades (8 - 4) and she really wants to go to oxford.. she’s really smart too, i’m almost certain she’s going to get the best grades 😂

Well it does depend on the course and Oxford cares about GCSEs more than Cambridge. But it does depend on other factors as I mentioned

How many of her grades were 4s, 5s and 6s?
They are looked at, and I think that could possibly prevent her from getting in, but of course depends on her course, predicted A-Levels, personal statement etc.
Reply 7
Original post by wastedcuriosity
They are looked at, and I think that could possibly prevent her from getting in, but of course depends on her course, predicted A-Levels, personal statement etc.

I got: English language -5, English lit- 4, chem - B, bio B, physics- A, French- A, Spanish - B, computer science- C, maths -B
Reply 8
Original post by Muttley79
Oxford does consider GCSE grades - were there extenuating circumstances as to why your grades were comparatively low?

I think your grades will be a barrier otherwise.

Am an international student at a private school😬 the gcse grades obtained by every student varies so much we have people that get 8 U’s but we also had a student that almost got straight A*s however at a level the track record of grades isn’t good for example the people who took chemistry and biology had to do a module exam in January and the highest grade gotten was a D
Reply 9
Original post by bored_user:)

The biochemistry course doesn’t have an admissions test so it’s not I can prove myself , the only thing that they will see is my grades and my personal statement, like I don’t think am even gonna get an interview
Reply 10
It’s true that Cambridge doesn’t care as much for your gcse grades at Oxford and that I would have a beter chance of getting into Cambridge but I don’t like Cambridge and they don’t have the biochemistry course and I can’t apply for Cambridge because all their science courses A*A*A and am predicted A*AA. And oxford was always where I wanted to go
Reply 11
If I take a gap year and get A*AA and do internships and more work experience would my chances of greeting in increase?
I heard a teacher tell a student that to apply for oxford, you need at least 6a*s at GCSE but honestly, don't stop trying. Apply, work hard and if you get it then great, if not, I'm sure you'll get into other good universities
Original post by Bebsbe

it depends what kind of secondary school you did your GCSEs at I believe. If you went to a low performing school and got an average grade of a B you have a decent chance because your predicted grades are really good. However if you went to a high achieving school then that would decrease your chances (but there's always hope). It really depends but to answer your question there is still a chance because GCSEs aren't the only factor.
GCSE's are so not accurate of your future success, trust me!

if you truly truly work hard (a lot of people tend to work harder in sixth form because they have an end goal anyways) then you can go to oxford.

your grades seem to think so, anyways! :yep:
Original post by Bebsbe
I got: English language -5, English lit- 4, chem - B, bio B, physics- A, French- A, Spanish - B, computer science- C, maths -B

I'm sorry, but I don't see a single A* here, or an 8 or 9 for your GCSEs.

And you went to a private school, as well.

As has been said elsewhere on this thread, you need to get good GCSEs for Oxford. Normally you would expect to see 6,7 or 8 x A* or 8/9s to get into Oxford for a science. Even for languages or history, I would expect 2 or 3 A*, 8/9s at the very least.

There's no point in me saying otherwise, I can't stop you from applying to Oxford if that's what you want, but the chances of success would surely be slim.
Original post by wastedcuriosity

3 subjects are 8s, 2 subjects are 7s, 1 subject is a 6, 2 subjects are 5s and 1 subject is a 4
3 subjects are 8s, 2 subjects are 7s, 1 subject is a 6, 2 subjects are 5s and 1 subject is a 4

Ah so she does have 3 x 8s then
Reply 19
Original post by Oxford Mum
I'm sorry, but I don't see a single A* here, or an 8 or 9 for your GCSEs.

And you went to a private school, as well.

As has been said elsewhere on this thread, you need to get good GCSEs for Oxford. Normally you would expect to see 6,7 or 8 x A* or 8/9s to get into Oxford for a science. Even for languages or history, I would expect 2 or 3 A*, 8/9s at the very least.

There's no point in me saying otherwise, I can't stop you from applying to Oxford if that's what you want, but the chances of success would surely be slim.

Even if it is a low performing private school

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending