The Student Room Group
Bangor University
Bangor University
Visit website

should i go to bangor university?

I have a lot of offers from different unis e.g. swansea, bangor, DMU, ARU and many more. The thing is, bangor is too far.... like three hours far and i DMU is insanely close [like an hour and half on the train.]

Is bangor racist or islamphobic??? I am a black muslim woman and HoH so i am worried.... What makes bangor different???
Original post by Anonymous
I have a lot of offers from different unis e.g. swansea, bangor, DMU, ARU and many more. The thing is, bangor is too far.... like three hours far and i DMU is insanely close [like an hour and half on the train.]

Is bangor racist or islamphobic??? I am a black muslim woman and HoH so i am worried.... What makes bangor different???

Can I ask why you apply to Bangor? Was the course interesting to you, or the university facilities for example?

I'm not a POC, but there are a lot of international students at Bangor from a variety of ethnic backgrounds. There will be racism wherever you go tbh, but Bangor is typically a very friendly place.
Bangor University
Bangor University
Visit website
Original post by Anonymous

Hi there,

We're pleased to see you are considering Bangor University. Although it may be a little further for you to travel we hope it will be worth it for you in terms of study location and course quality. If you know which course you want to study it may be worth going onto our website and having a chat to current students about their life here at Bangor and how they have found studying with us - www.bangor.ac.uk/unibuddy. We do have direct trains to Manchester, Liverpool and London so are well connected and benefit form being a couple of minutes drive away from the A55 which leads you directly down the North Wales coast and onto the M6 motorway.

At Bangor we pride ourselves on being a warm and friendly city with an ethnically diverse student body. We have over 80 countries represented at our University from a range of religious backgrounds. Bangor is often described as being welcoming and most of our students would say that studying at Bangor is like being part of one big family.

We have over 200 societies that are free to join that cover every aspect of life from hobbies and interest to religion and Nationality - https://www.undebbangor.com/societies/societies/. Joining a societies is a great way to meet people, make new friends and also forms a lot of the social calendar for Bangor students.

We pride ourselves on being a supportive University and there is plenty of support available to students to help them settle in and throughout their time here at Bangor University. Take a look at our Student Support pages - https://www.bangor.ac.uk/studentservices/index.php.en.

If you have any questions we'd be happy to help you :smile:

Thanks
Bangor Uni Team
(edited 3 years ago)
I will be attending Bangor University from next week and I am also from Bangor. Born and raised and my whole family lives here. I can assure you that we are definitely not racist or islamaphobic. There are many people with different cultures, religions, backgrounds that live here and study here.
Of course you may come across the odd one ignorant human being as you would in any part of the World but in no means is the city racist, islamaphobic or any hatred as a majority. As a local and student if I ever was to witness such behaviour I would certainly step in and say something and do the right thing and I would like to think my fellow locals and students would do the same.
At the age of 26, I can honestly say I have never witnessed such behaviour, not saying it doesn't happen but just trying to put into perspective how little it may happen

Quick Reply

Latest