The Student Room Group

Depressed after uni transfer

Hi guys

I used to study and Bangor Uni, loved it there and made some amazing friends but I ultimately decided to transfer because I was diagnosed with a health condition that I wanted to try and sort out and I was very depressed.

I have now transferred out into another uni about 20 mins drive from home and although I like the uni I am now just as/if not more depressed as I was in Bangor

I really don’t know what to do? Should I consider moving back out to Bangor where I was slightly happier or stay at home with my current Uni

I just feel like i’m going to loose my mind if I don’t move back there ? it’s very strange.
If you’re depressed at both universities then the issue isn’t the specific university it’s something else (either your personal mental health or how you react to studying).

Have you sought treatment for your depression?
Original post by Anonymous #2
If you’re depressed at both universities then the issue isn’t the specific university it’s something else (either your personal mental health or how you react to studying).

Have you sought treatment for your depression?

Well I was assaulted in Bangor by a person not at the uni. Which made me depressed but as time started to pass by I began to feel like I was beginning to enjoy it? idk.

Whereas at home im just depressed without a cause. I have sought treatment but my GP says they don’t want me on medication as it can possibly ‘affect my brain’ ???

I’m just thinking maybe if i go back to the fresh air and the outdoors i might feel better. because me moving home was sort of pressured by my family
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hi guys

I used to study and Bangor Uni, loved it there and made some amazing friends but I ultimately decided to transfer because I was diagnosed with a health condition that I wanted to try and sort out and I was very depressed.

I have now transferred out into another uni about 20 mins drive from home and although I like the uni I am now just as/if not more depressed as I was in Bangor

I really don’t know what to do? Should I consider moving back out to Bangor where I was slightly happier or stay at home with my current Uni

I just feel like i’m going to loose my mind if I don’t move back there ? it’s very strange.

Hiya,

Sounds like you’re in a bit of a complex situation here. Making these big decisions is hard but definitely even harder when you’re suffering depression.

I would firstly advise trying to treat your depression. This doesn’t have to be meditation, there’s lots of things that can help with depression. Have you tried contacting the university wellbeing team for support? They’re normally great and can even offer counselling etc. There’s also some great online mental health charities, that can offer advice etc.

I think it’s hard for anyone to suggest exactly what you should do. If you feel like your decision has been swayed by family and now you are feeling worse then perhaps you would be happier moving back. I would only be cautious with this, as I read your statement previous comment that said there was an incident that caused the depression.

I personally would put this decision on hold for a moment. Focus on yourself, do the things that make you happy, feel good and access any support/help you can for your mental health. That should always be your priority. You might find that if you can start to feel better and a bit more yourself, the decision will be easier to make.

I hope this helps somewhat. Good luck moving forward 🙂 please don’t suffer in silence!

Sophie (ARU)
Original post by ARUStudents
Hiya,

Sounds like you’re in a bit of a complex situation here. Making these big decisions is hard but definitely even harder when you’re suffering depression.

I would firstly advise trying to treat your depression. This doesn’t have to be meditation, there’s lots of things that can help with depression. Have you tried contacting the university wellbeing team for support? They’re normally great and can even offer counselling etc. There’s also some great online mental health charities, that can offer advice etc.

I think it’s hard for anyone to suggest exactly what you should do. If you feel like your decision has been swayed by family and now you are feeling worse then perhaps you would be happier moving back. I would only be cautious with this, as I read your statement previous comment that said there was an incident that caused the depression.

I personally would put this decision on hold for a moment. Focus on yourself, do the things that make you happy, feel good and access any support/help you can for your mental health. That should always be your priority. You might find that if you can start to feel better and a bit more yourself, the decision will be easier to make.

I hope this helps somewhat. Good luck moving forward 🙂 please don’t suffer in silence!

Sophie (ARU)

thank u for ur advice!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending