The Student Room Group

What good has Sadiq Khan done for London?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by imlikeahermit
He makes absolutely no attempts to solve the issues. That’s what you’re missing here. He hasn’t even bothered to speak out about it. Much rather preach about climate change than talking about the daily stabbings.

You’re defending the indefensible.

Because without money you can't solve those problems. For the past ten years Labour has warned about what happens when you cut police budgets and numbers, and yet the poltical right have supported such cuts.

t
Reply 41
He makes absolutely no attempts to solve the issues. That’s what you’re missing here. He hasn’t even bothered to speak out about it. Much rather preach about climate change than talking about the daily stabbings.

You’re defending the indefensible.

Because without money you can't solve those problems. For the past ten years Labour has warned about what happens when you cut police budgets and numbers, and yet the poltical right have supported such cuts.

You don't solve knife crime by speeches, you solve it by having a very well funded and resourced police force.

Youre criticising him for decisions taken by Central government, which is absurd.
Original post by DSilva

You don't solve knife crime by speeches, you solve it by having a very well funded and resourced police force.

Youre criticising him for decisions taken by Central government, which is absurd.

You think London’s budget is smaller now than it was in 2016?
Reply 43
Original post by paul514
You think London’s budget is smaller now than it was in 2016?

Between 2010 and 2018, police numbers dropped by 15%.
Original post by DSilva
Between 2010 and 2018, police numbers dropped by 15%.

Thanks for that info correct or not....

It’s not what I asked, how much has the London budget dropped since 2016
Reply 45
Original post by paul514
Thanks for that info correct or not....

It’s not what I asked, how much has the London budget dropped since 2016

The budget for the met has fallen by 20% since 2012.
Original post by DSilva

That’s not what he asked. What about London’s budget?
Original post by DSilva

If the answer was to chuck money at crime then the position of Mayor and the Assembly comes strongly into doubt.

Secondly, it’s all well and good saying Labour have said the right things but their actions tell a different story. The Dawn Butler case in particular helped eradicate respect for our ailing police force. Labour, are hardly the police’s greatest allies.
Reply 48
If the answer was to chuck money at crime then the position of Mayor and the Assembly comes strongly into doubt.

Secondly, it’s all well and good saying Labour have said the right things but their actions tell a different story. The Dawn Butler case in particular helped eradicate respect for our ailing police force. Labour, are hardly the police’s greatest allies.

No it doesn't. If you want to reduce crime you need a well funded police force. The police themselves warned us several times that cuts were hampering their ability to keep us safe.

And yet the political right ignored then and supported cutting budgets and numbers. And those were decisions taken by the Tories, not Khan or Labour. It's absolutely staggering that you can't see the link between decimating police funding and rising crime levels.

I can assure you that violent crime hasn't gone up over the last 10 years because Dawn Butler was wrongly stopped a few weeks ago.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by DSilva
No it doesn't. If you want to reduce crime you need a well funded police force. The police themselves warned us several times that cuts were hampering their ability to keep us safe.

And yet the political right ignored then and supported cutting budgets and numbers. And those were decisions taken by the Tories, not Khan or Labour. It's absolutely staggering that you can't see the link between decimating police funding and rising crime levels.

I can assure you that violent crime hasn't gone up over the last 10 years because Dawn Butler was wrongly stopped a few weeks ago.

Again, you’re missing the point. Dawn Butler being front page news and all over the place gave people the idea that its absolutely fine to be so privileged that you feel you are above the police force, which is what she did.

Again, secondly, I am not doubting that a strong police force means lower levels of crime, but let me ask you this. Using your logic, Sadiq is not to blame for crime because funding for police is down. Yet in Khans latest budget, it is he who is cutting £110 million from the police force. How is he not then responsible?

Lastly, you’re still not getting the overall point. It’s his rhetoric. It’s his blame culture. It’s everyone else’s fault. He’d much rather preach about his congestion charge and pleasing the extinction rebellion or BLM protesters.

Let me give you one example from just today...

This is what he’s tweeted...

This pandemic has had a devastating impact on London's public services. Rather than help our city recover, the Tory government have chosen to introduce a new era of austerity.

As Mayor I'll continue to stand up for Londoners and protect frontline services like the fire brigade.

This is the same man who has just cut money from the fire brigade. She sheer gumption is staggering. It’s everyone else’s fault.
Again, you’re missing the point. Dawn Butler being front page news and all over the place gave people the idea that its absolutely fine to be so privileged that you feel you are above the police force, which is what she did.

Again, secondly, I am not doubting that a strong police force means lower levels of crime, but let me ask you this. Using your logic, Sadiq is not to blame for crime because funding for police is down. Yet in Khans latest budget, it is he who is cutting £110 million from the police force. How is he not then responsible?

Lastly, you’re still not getting the overall point. It’s his rhetoric. It’s his blame culture. It’s everyone else’s fault. He’d much rather preach about his congestion charge and pleasing the extinction rebellion or BLM protesters.

This pandemic has had a devastating impact on London's public services. Rather than help our city recover, the Tory government have chosen to introduce a new era of austerity.

As Mayor I'll continue to stand up for Londoners and protect frontline services like the fire brigade.

This is the same man who has just cut money from the fire brigade. She sheer gumption is staggering. It’s everyone else’s fault.

Those cuts are a direct result of the funding shortfall caused by Covid. 70-75% of the Met's funding comes straight from the Home Office, not City Hall. The government has cut that funding by 40% between 2011 and 2019. Yet you blame the current situation on cuts announced by Khan that haven't even taken effect yet?
Original post by Captain Haddock
Those cuts are a direct result of the funding shortfall caused by Covid. 70-75% of the Met's funding comes straight from the Home Office, not City Hall. The government has cut that funding by 40% between 2011 and 2019. Yet you blame the current situation on cuts announced by Khan that haven't even taken effect yet?

Cuts that will happen though. Simple question, if crime is soaring, like it is, wouldn't the police force be the last place you'd be cutting from?
Cuts that will happen though. Simple question, if crime is soaring, like it is, wouldn't the police force be the last place you'd be cutting from?

And where were you when the Tories were making the cuts that led into to these soaring crime rates? Voting for them, probably.
Original post by Captain Haddock
And where were you when the Tories were making the cuts that led into to these soaring crime rates? Voting for them, probably.

I’m on about London specifically. And also, I didn’t vote... :wink:
Original post by DSilva

As someone already replied, it’s not what I asked you.

Please refrain from replying to me with answers to questions I haven’t asked you.
Reply 55

No it doesn't. I can assure you that Dawn Butler complaining about being incorrectly stopped by the police is not responsible for higher levels of crime over the past ten years.

Because his funding has been cut hugely by (a) the pandemic and (b) cuts from central government. And that's on top of ten years worth of sustained cuts to policing and local authorities from central gov.

Unlike central government, he doesn't have the power to raise taxes to generate income, so how do you propose he plugs that gap exactly?

If you want higher police funding, you should be criticising central government who are actually in a position to provide it.

It's not his congestion charge, that was implemented by central government as a requirement for giving TFL a grant during the pandemic.

It's not his fault fire and police forces are being cut. As explained above. Khan is not responsible for either the pandemic or budget cuts by central government.

And you seem to be simultaneously complaining about cuts to police while supporting austerity. It's a contradiction in terms.
Original post by DSilva
No it doesn't. I can assure you that Dawn Butler complaining about being incorrectly stopped by the police is not responsible for higher levels of crime over the past ten years.

Because his funding has been cut hugely by (a) the pandemic and (b) cuts from central government. And that's on top of ten years worth of sustained cuts to policing and local authorities from central gov.

Unlike central government, he doesn't have the power to raise taxes to generate income, so how do you propose he plugs that gap exactly?

If you want higher police funding, you should be criticising central government who are actually in a position to provide it.

It's not his congestion charge, that was implemented by central government as a requirement for giving TFL a grant during the pandemic.

It's not his fault fire and police forces are being cut. As explained above. Khan is not responsible for either the pandemic or budget cuts by central government.

And you seem to be simultaneously complaining about cuts to police while supporting austerity. It's a contradiction in terms.

7 stabbings in London yesterday. 7. Anything from Khan on Twitter? Not a thing. Not a sausage. Just a tweet blaming the government for London’s downfall despite it being his maze of cycle lanes keeping people away.

Prime point here. His rhetoric. He’s not bothered. London turning into a third world shithole and he’d rather just political point score. Useless. But even more useless that you can’t see it.
Reply 57
7 stabbings in London yesterday. 7. Anything from Khan on Twitter? Not a thing. Not a sausage. Just a tweet blaming the government for London’s downfall despite it being his maze of cycle lanes keeping people away.

Prime point here. His rhetoric. He’s not bothered. London turning into a third world shithole and he’d rather just political point score. Useless. But even more useless that you can’t see it.

Ah, so Khan not writing tweets is why crime has risne over the past ten years...

You don't stop crime with rhetoric or tweets - you do so with well resourced and funded police services. And you can blame the Tories for ten years worth of cuts to the police.
Original post by DSilva
Ah, so Khan not writing tweets is why crime has risne over the past ten years...

You don't stop crime with rhetoric or tweets - you do so with well resourced and funded police services. And you can blame the Tories for ten years worth of cuts to the police.

Your rhetoric doesn’t add up. In 2013/2014 there were approximately 30,500 officers in the capital and crime rate was at 77.9. In 2019 there were 31,175 officers in the capital with a crime rate of 101.48. So quite simply, what your saying about police numbers isn’t right. It may, be a contributing factor however, what is an open and shut case, which statistics do prove, is that since Mr Khan has become Mayor crime has skyrocketed.
Reply 59
Your rhetoric doesn’t add up. In 2013/2014 there were approximately 30,500 officers in the capital and crime rate was at 77.9. In 2019 there were 31,175 officers in the capital with a crime rate of 101.48. So quite simply, what your saying about police numbers isn’t right. It may, be a contributing factor however, what is an open and shut case, which statistics do prove, is that since Mr Khan has become Mayor crime has skyrocketed.

Of course cuts to police funding has a massive impact on preventing violent crime. The fewer police officers you have and the less resources they have, the weaker their ability will be to prevent crime.

Yet you are really rather hesitant to accept thst the huge impact that cuts to the service have had. Crime has increased throughout the UK, not just London.

And yet you seek to link Khan not tweeting and Dawn Butler complaining about being incorrectly stopped to have caused an increase in crime. It's illogical.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending