The Student Room Group

CHEMISTRY/SCIENCE What they don't tell you on access to science course

Hi all, so a bit of background. I did the access to HE science in 2020-2021. Had a ball, it wasn't difficult. I achieved 131 ucas points. Then crashed and burned at university Chemistry.
Allow me to explain and stop you from making the same mistakes.
Maths at Access is not on the same planet as what you'll be doing at university. Get thee on an A level maths course alongside or at least do **** tonnes of Khan Academy. I'd particularly strongly recommend algebra, CALCULUS and for the love of god make sure you can rearrange equations in your sleep, yes even the f"&&7ers with logs, indices, and cos/sin/tan gibberish.
Differential equations, quack me will you be using them.
Organic chemistry: now my course basically said hey wow look this is organic chemistry, here's three mechanisms. Well guess what, all your classmates in uni will have done a lot more at A level and now you have to learn the ones which are new to them AND all the ones they've been doing for 2 years. So learn as many as you can, and then a few more.

Another resource; https://www.youtube.com/@ProfessorDaveExplains
Copy from his lessons like you're in a lecture hall. Man knows his chemistry.

Make bessie mates with orbitals and if you can get into molecular orbitals and their hybrids all the better.

Again, rearranging equations. there is not an area of chemistry you won't be doing this in.

What you won't be doing: essays. I have just finished second year and I've done the grand total of 5 report style assessments. I know that sounds a lot but trust me, the majority is exam or test based.

Read Chemistry^3 and maths for chemistry. Do the maths exercises from Khan academy. Study from the A level textbooks at least, don't let them have such a huge advantage on you. The access results don't mean squat, get the assignments done then focus on this. (your assignments will be better for it anyway).

This is what I wish I could go back and tell myself three years ago. Get the foundations in and uni won't be such a B Word.
You can do this, but Access is not enough.
Thanks for sharing your experience, I was planning on doing an Access Course to study Medicine next year...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending