The Student Room Group

Is it worth doing an EPQ?

Hi!

I'm currently taking 4 A-levels ( double maths, bio and chem) and am contemplating doing an EPQ?

Is it worth it, especially with the workload of four A-levels?
Does the EPQ truly benefit you? I mean, a lot of people say it's good for uni applications and for actually being in uni and independent research and stuff but is it really worth it?

Thanks!
Original post by _Mia101
Hi!

I'm currently taking 4 A-levels ( double maths, bio and chem) and am contemplating doing an EPQ?

Does the EPQ truly benefit you? I mean, a lot of people say it's good for uni applications and for actually being in uni and independent research and stuff but is it really worth it?

Thanks!

Bumpingggggg
Original post by Shadbury
Bumpingggggg

Thanksss :hugs:
Don't do an EPQ.

I did an EPQ myself with 3 humanities-based A-Levels and that was just enough workload for me to keep on top of my studies and balance a social life outside Sixth Form (which is extremely important for your mental health). The only benefits that I gained from taking an EPQ were a few extra discussion points for my personal statement and another grade on my A-Level results sheet. Of course, everyone can handle different workloads but personally, I'd stick with four A-Levels. I'd say an EPQ could be quite useful when you get to university as you've had experience with referencing and dealing with research, but plenty of scientists cope just fine without the experience of EPQ (I'm presuming you'd be going into STEM with your A-Level choices?).

Focus on getting great grades in your A-Levels, it seems as if you're really dedicated. :smile:
Original post by _Mia101
Hi!

Thanks!

Hey
I'm sorta in the same dilemma as you...next year I can decide to either do 4 a levels or drop a subject and do an EPQ.... I think we can do 4 subjects PLUS an EPQ but I think u have to be exceptionally good in my school if they let you do that..
Soo.. posting to subscribe aha
Original post by aconstanthamlet
Don't do an EPQ.

I did an EPQ myself with 3 humanities-based A-Levels and that was just enough workload for me to keep on top of my studies and balance a social life outside Sixth Form (which is extremely important for your mental health). The only benefits that I gained from taking an EPQ were a few extra discussion points for my personal statement and another grade on my A-Level results sheet. Of course, everyone can handle different workloads but personally, I'd stick with four A-Levels. I'd say an EPQ could be quite useful when you get to university as you've had experience with referencing and dealing with research, but plenty of scientists cope just fine without the experience of EPQ (I'm presuming you'd be going into STEM with your A-Level choices?).

Focus on getting great grades in your A-Levels, it seems as if you're really dedicated. :smile:

Thank you so much for your reply!

Did your EPQ mean you had a lower grade for uni? Cos my head of sixth form keeps on saying that past students had lower entry requirements. Although, I don't know if that is worth all the stress of it. Especially since I have no clue what I'd do the EPQ on or what I want to do for uni... or even if the subjects I've picked are the right ones for me.

Sorry this is turning into a bit of a rant... thinking about this stuff makes me really scared.

Also, which subjects did you do at A-level and uni?
Original post by _Mia101
Hi!

Thanks!

IMO, 4 a levels plus an EPQ is too much to handle. It's better to focus on getting good grades in your 4 a levels than to have to worry about that and an EPQ.

Does the EPQ truly benefit you?
Kind of and kind of not (for me, at least) Skills wise, yes. It gave me useful researching, independent study, time management, planning and presentation skills, and made my life easier when I was doing other coursework cos I already knew how to reference and find academic journals.

Getting a university place wise, not really, no. Most top unis don't look at EPQs, although it might be a good talking point for an Oxbridge interview if you're doing an EPQ in something related to what you want to do at uni, plus it'll show that you already have these key independent study skills etc.

Some universities will give you a lower offer if you get an A at EPQ, it'll usually be one grade lower offer. You'll be able to see which unis take EPQ into account on their website but off the top of my head, there's Southampton, Birmingham, Queen Mary, Royal Holloway and probably a couple others.

I think it's important to do an EPQ in something you're really passionate about, otherwise you're going to lack that motivation to complete it. I'd do some research on potential topics, maybe sign up to do an EPQ but if after doing some research, you realise you can't think of anything you'd want to do it on or your workload is getting too much then you can always drop it later.

Hope that helps :nyan:
Original post by _Mia101
Thank you so much for your reply!

Did your EPQ mean you had a lower grade for uni? Cos my head of sixth form keeps on saying that past students had lower entry requirements. Although, I don't know if that is worth all the stress of it. Especially since I have no clue what I'd do the EPQ on or what I want to do for uni... or even if the subjects I've picked are the right ones for me.

Sorry this is turning into a bit of a rant... thinking about this stuff makes me really scared.

Also, which subjects did you do at A-level and uni?

Hey don't worry about it! It's great that you're giving it some thought. So four out of five of my offers were "lowered" because of my EPQ. Two of my offers needed an A in EPQ to be lowered by one grade (AAA-AAB) and the other two relied on me getting a B in my EPQ to be lowered by one grade (AAB-ABB). In the end, my first choice didn't care about EPQ and I never put an insurance down so it never helped me meet my offer. It's quite a lot of work just for a reduced offer, especially when it relies on you obtaining a high mark. With four A-Levels it would be much more beneficial to focus on getting the best grades that you can.

Also, don't worry about university! I had no clue what I wanted to do throughout year 12 (and most of year 13 to be honest), it's completely normal. If you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask! :smile:
Original post by neko no basu
IMO, 4 a levels plus an EPQ is too much to handle. It's better to focus on getting good grades in your 4 a levels than to have to worry about that and an EPQ.

Does the EPQ truly benefit you?
Kind of and kind of not (for me, at least) Skills wise, yes. It gave me useful researching, independent study, time management, planning and presentation skills, and made my life easier when I was doing other coursework cos I already knew how to reference and find academic journals.

Getting a university place wise, not really, no. Most top unis don't look at EPQs, although it might be a good talking point for an Oxbridge interview if you're doing an EPQ in something related to what you want to do at uni, plus it'll show that you already have these key independent study skills etc.

Some universities will give you a lower offer if you get an A at EPQ, it'll usually be one grade lower offer. You'll be able to see which unis take EPQ into account on their website but off the top of my head, there's Southampton, Birmingham, Queen Mary, Royal Holloway and probably a couple others.

I think it's important to do an EPQ in something you're really passionate about, otherwise you're going to lack that motivation to complete it. I'd do some research on potential topics, maybe sign up to do an EPQ but if after doing some research, you realise you can't think of anything you'd want to do it on or your workload is getting too much then you can always drop it later.

Hope that helps :nyan:

Thank you so much! Yeah, I have no clue what I want to do at uni so I don't even know if my EPQ would eventually end up even being related to what I pick.

How would I go about finding potential topics?
Also, would an EPQ still have any relevance for uni if it's entirely unrelated to the degree I'm applying for?

Quick Reply

Latest