The Student Room Group

I am sooo anxious about uni+life in general.

I don't know what to do, i feel confused and anxious about starting 2nd year uni + life in general.

Starting second yr now but feel so defated. I feel anxious cuz second year counts now. I did okay in my first year. I spoken to my personal tutor about my anxiety and she was trying to encourage me. I don't know how am gonna cope. We start face to face lectures next week and mentally my mind is not there. We have already started online lectures for the matter and have an exam this week which i am not prepared to sit for personal-home-health related reasons/issues. My mental health has gone down. I am trying to motivate myself but on the inside i am crying. I have struggled to focus at home since March/April. I don't have my own space at home to conentrate/revise.....i share my laptop as well....sooo thats great!

Plus whats been happening in the streets of London(knife crime and gun crime) is making me anxious to leave my house. I don't feel safe in my own street. I have nightmares in my sleep sometimes, thinking someone is out there to get me to shoot me or knife me.

I did not really make friends at uni during my first year so i don't really have people to talk to/ reach out to for support/motivation.

On top of that because of the pandemic, i havent been able to look for suitable accommodations near my uni. At the moment i live at home with my parents and if i were to commute to uni it would take me like 2 hours there and back.

I guess i just feel overwhelmed and need to rant.

Lastly, i acknowledge that i may not be the only one feeling like this although it does feel like that sometimes.
Original post by Blackstarr
I don't know what to do, i feel confused and anxious about starting 2nd year uni + life in general.

Starting second yr now but feel so defated. I feel anxious cuz second year counts now. I did okay in my first year. I spoken to my personal tutor about my anxiety and she was trying to encourage me. I don't know how am gonna cope. We start face to face lectures next week and mentally my mind is not there. We have already started online lectures for the matter and have an exam this week which i am not prepared to sit for personal-home-health related reasons/issues. My mental health has gone down. I am trying to motivate myself but on the inside i am crying. I have struggled to focus at home since March/April. I don't have my own space at home to conentrate/revise.....i share my laptop as well....sooo thats great!

Plus whats been happening in the streets of London(knife crime and gun crime) is making me anxious to leave my house. I don't feel safe in my own street. I have nightmares in my sleep sometimes, thinking someone is out there to get me to shoot me or knife me.

I did not really make friends at uni during my first year so i don't really have people to talk to/ reach out to for support/motivation.

On top of that because of the pandemic, i havent been able to look for suitable accommodations near my uni. At the moment i live at home with my parents and if i were to commute to uni it would take me like 2 hours there and back.

Lastly, i acknowledge that i may not be the only one feeling like this although it does feel like that sometimes.

have you applied for dsa, if not you should be able to get a mental health mentor
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
have you applied for dsa, if not you should be able to get a mental health mentor

Ok thanks for the info
Reply 3
Original post by claireestelle

At uni last year, i had an assessment, but, the outcome of my assessment stated i did not have any problems like dyslexia and what not. I don't understand because all my life i had a learning difficulty in the sense that i was a slow learner etc. Also when i was a lot younger as a kid, i was diagnosed with ADHD in a different country. I feel like the ADHD is still impacting me in my adult life. During the assessment the lady asked me about my education history and learning before she conducted my assessment(writing task, spelling, IQ test etc) but i failed to mention my ADHD from when i was younger. I wonder if i mentioned it, maybe my outcome would have been different. I want to be re-assessed and mention the ADHD aspect. Like i know i am forgetful majority of the times, i cant concentrate for longer periods etc. Do these assement people conduct ADHD tests because i specifically want to get ADHD tested/confirmation since i know nothing else is wrong with me, aside from my learning difficulty/mental health also which interlinks with ADHD. All my life at school, i had additional/extra support/teaching assistants by me. Obviously i know at uni is different now. When it comes to learning difficulty people always refer to dyslexia but how about generically being a slow learner/behind your peers at school/uni?
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 4

But why do people like you go off to the deep end snd forget thst they did well in the first year?. You actually passed it. Stop predicting disaster and just do your best. Get organised, relax a bit and study hard. 😃
Reply 5
Original post by mgi
But why do people like you go off to the deep end snd forget thst they did well in the first year?. You actually passed it. Stop predicting disaster and just do your best. Get organised, relax a bit and study hard. 😃

Aww, thank you for your encouragement
Reply 6
Aww, thank you for your encouragement

No problem. Work hard , rest and play in equal measure.
Reply 7
Original post by mgi
No problem. Work hard , rest and play in equal measure.

:smile:
At uni last year, i had an assessment, but, the outcome of my assessment stated i did not have any problems like dyslexia and what not. I don't understand because all my life i had a learning difficulty in the sense that i was a slow learner etc. Also when i was a lot younger as a kid, i was diagnosed with ADHD in a different country. I feel like the ADHD is still impacting me in my adult life. During the assessment the lady asked me about my education history and learning before she conducted my assessment(writing task, spelling, IQ test etc) but i failed to mention my ADHD from when i was younger. I wonder if i mentioned it, maybe my outcome would have been different. I want to be re-assessed and mention the ADHD aspect. Like i know i am forgetful majority of the times, i cant concentrate for longer periods etc. Do these assement people conduct ADHD tests because i specifically want to get ADHD tested/confirmation since i know nothing else is wrong with me, aside from my learning difficulty/mental health also which interlinks with ADHD. All my life at school, i had additional/extra support/teaching assistants by me. Obviously i know at uni is different now. When it comes to learning difficulty people always refer to dyslexia but how about generically being a slow learner/behind your peers at school/uni?

ADHD is a different kind of psychologist sometimes but ask student support for help
Reply 9

ADHD is a lifelong thing. You can use it to help you do better in life. Check out the YouTube channel HowtoADHD if you haven't already. It gives really good life tips. I don't have ADHD but that channel has helped me.
Original post by Ameba
ADHD is a lifelong thing. You can use it to help you do better in life. Check out the YouTube channel HowtoADHD if you haven't already. It gives really good life tips. I don't have ADHD but that channel has helped me.

Yh I have checked it out. Thanks for the response tho

Quick Reply

Latest