The Student Room Group

Propranolol

Does anyone know if there are any alternatives to propranolol?
there must be but I think you can only get beta blockers or any heart medication if it's prescribed by a doctor so talk to your gp if your having problems with propranolol. It could be that you're taking too much. I had to take propranolol for abit years ago and the doctor prescribed me a high dosage to take daily. It was too much for me and gave me severe side effects so I decreased the amount that I was supposed to take without telling the doctor which made the side effects go away. When I had a checkup with my doctor i told them I'd been taking less and they were mad at first but when I told them about the side effects they were okay with it because the propranolol was still doing what it was supposed to.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
there must be but I think you can only get beta blockers or any heart medication if it's prescribed by a doctor so talk to your gp if your having problems with propranolol. It could be that you're taking too much. I had to take propranolol for abit years ago and the doctor prescribed me a high dosage to take daily. It was too much for me and gave me severe side effects so I decreased the amount that I was supposed to take without telling the doctor which made the side effects go away. When I had a checkup with my doctor i told them I'd been taking less and they were mad at first but when I told them about the side effects they were okay with it because the propranolol was still doing what it was supposed to.

I got propranolol prescribed from the doctor 40mg 3x daily last year ish. Fortunately, I didn’t get any bad side effects like you. The issue is, it’s good for my physical symptoms when I have rational anxiety, but it doesn’t even touch any of my physical symptoms when its irrational anxiety. So I contacted doctors and she prescribed me amitriptyline instead, but i was looking for a more take as required (similar to propranolol) to chill me out when I’m suddenly scattered with anxious thoughts, but it was hard to communicate over phone as the line was atrocious.
Reply 3
I went back to GP but it was really hard to communicate via phone call as the line was cracking the whole time so I am trying to find if anyone has had any alternatives so I can ask about them
You’re lucky that it has impacted you positively
There are alternatives but barely any doctors prescribe them :frown:.
Original post by Bumble18
I got propranolol prescribed from the doctor 40mg 3x daily last year ish. Fortunately, I didn’t get any bad side effects like you. The issue is, it’s good for my physical symptoms when I have rational anxiety, but it doesn’t even touch any of my physical symptoms when its irrational anxiety. So I contacted doctors and she prescribed me amitriptyline instead, but i was looking for a more take as required (similar to propranolol) to chill me out when I’m suddenly scattered with anxious thoughts, but it was hard to communicate over phone as the line was atrocious.

Did you use a plugged in house phone? Those tend to have a terrible signal, you can barely hear anything. Use a mobile phone, I've never had any problems.
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous
Did you use a plugged in house phone? Those tend to have a terrible signal, you can barely hear anything. Use a mobile phone, I've never had any problems.

It was my mobile. They use the plugged in kind though. The area is just terrible for phone signal
Reply 8
Original post by TheAnxiousSloth
There are alternatives but barely any doctors prescribe them :frown:.

What are the alternatives?
Reply 9
It may not be suitable, but I’d like to go into the next phone call having a bit of background info on any others if there is any. I can only ask I guess, but if I don’t know what exists I can’t even ask

It’s just the signal around here
Isn't this the drug Dr Conrad Murray gave Michael Jackson?
Reply 11
Thank you :smile:
What are the alternatives?

I only know about benzos as an alternative (e.g. diazepam, lorazepam). They can be great because they quieten the mind and make you feel very chilled out (at least in my experience). Most GPs won't prescribe it, I had to see a psychiatrist at a minor injury unit to get some.

However, a very common side effect is drowsiness/sleepiness. I get anxious every morning before work and as much as i'd like to take diazepam, I don't because it would just make me fall asleep/be useless to my colleagues lmao. It's a short-term fix as well... it makes you feel good for a day or so, but then you end up feeling how you did before you took it. This is how addiction and tolerance develops... 2mg hits you good at first, then you need 5mg, 10mg, 20mg, and before you know it, you're taking lethal doses just to feel the serenity you start to crave.

You said your doctor prescribed you amitryptyline... it won't make you feel good straight away like a benzo would, but after 4-6 weeks there's a chance it could reduce your anxiety to a point where you're no longer craving short-term fixes. Amitryptyline also has a common side effect of drowsiness and sleepiness, so if you take it before bed, it could help you chill out/fall asleep quicker. It can also improve your appetite (when my anxiety was bad, I felt too sick to eat on most days).
Reply 13
Original post by TheAnxiousSloth
I only know about benzos as an alternative (e.g. diazepam, lorazepam). They can be great because they quieten the mind and make you feel very chilled out (at least in my experience). Most GPs won't prescribe it, I had to see a psychiatrist at a minor injury unit to get some.

However, a very common side effect is drowsiness/sleepiness. I get anxious every morning before work and as much as i'd like to take diazepam, I don't because it would just make me fall asleep/be useless to my colleagues lmao. It's a short-term fix as well... it makes you feel good for a day or so, but then you end up feeling how you did before you took it. This is how addiction and tolerance develops... 2mg hits you good at first, then you need 5mg, 10mg, 20mg, and before you know it, you're taking lethal doses just to feel the serenity you start to crave.

You said your doctor prescribed you amitryptyline... it won't make you feel good straight away like a benzo would, but after 4-6 weeks there's a chance it could reduce your anxiety to a point where you're no longer craving short-term fixes. Amitryptyline also has a common side effect of drowsiness and sleepiness, so if you take it before bed, it could help you chill out/fall asleep quicker. It can also improve your appetite (when my anxiety was bad, I felt too sick to eat on most days).

Sorry I completely missed this response!
Benzos were the only one I was aware of and as much as I’m sure it’s great in the moment, I defo don’t want to get hooked. Did you feel like an addiction was starting?

I’ll keep at it for 4-6 weeks. I’m defo craving short term fixes... im just finding it hard to keep taking something that doesn’t have an immediate physical response. I have insomnia so it’s been great for my sleep so far, and it’s decreased my appetite too (good cause I’m fat haha). Head feels like it’s pressurised to the extent of explosion though.

Thank you for your help, the words ‘craving short term fixes’ are have enabled me to communicate to my mum how I feel. I knew how I felt inside, but I couldn’t put it into words without sounding like a druggie.
Reply 14

Certain anti depressents are usually prescribed for it or pregabalin and benzoes if the aforementioned dont work. Then again, they work in completely different ways with propanolol treating the symptoms directly as opposed to how these work.

If you're after things to take on an as and when basis then pregabalin and things like diazepam/klonopin etc. tend to be more effective.

Quick Reply

Latest