The Student Room Group

What do you do to help with your anxiety?

Do you take meds?
Do have any coping mechanisms?
Do you go therapy?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Do you take meds?
Do have any coping mechanisms?
Do you go therapy?

Just live through a constant deep pressure in my heart for most my life and do nothing about it.
I use grounding techniques whilst I'm in one of my panicky moods, it works as a pretty good distraction most of the time and it's a good way of easing out of it. I am also on medication to help with it.

Sometimes simple things like calm music and meditation helps though.
I cry and eat.
I'll go to my GP soon dw :ninja:
I move a lot. I had a day recently where it get really bad and I shook my hands really fast and bounced my knee. Sometimes running on the spot for 30 seconds helps me too
Appreciate nature. Sleep. Pray
Reply 6
Original post by MidgetFever
I use grounding techniques whilst I'm in one of my panicky moods, it works as a pretty good distraction most of the time and it's a good way of easing out of it. I am also on medication to help with it.

Sometimes simple things like calm music and meditation helps though.

Teach mee. How do you do that?

Just live through a constant deep pressure in my heart for most my life and do nothing about it.

It got so bad so I got some meds, idk if they’ll work but we’ll see
I cry and eat.
I'll go to my GP soon dw :ninja:

I restrict and cry
Appreciate nature. Sleep. Pray

This is actually a god one. Nature is really good for mental health. A walk in the park, woods or some gardening could do you the world of good.

Sleep is helpful to an extent. Some people sleep a lot bc of their anxiety, but they end up spending most of their time sleeping and not having much else to look forward to apart from sleep. You need something a bit more productive.

And yes, if you are religious, pray. I'm not, but obvs if you are that is a plausible idea
Reply 8
Move around or go for a run, meditation, and painting. I used to think meditation was silly but Ive found helps me a lot.
Reply 9
beta blockers for physical symptoms. ngl i don’t have any coping mechanisms. keeping a routine helps (so lockdown’s been a nightmare) and accomplishing short term goals one at a time. knowing i’m doing something even if it’s small lessens the anxiety. staying away from triggers. i am a masochist from birth and used to seek out triggers to remind me my anxiety is not unwarranted.

been in and out of therapy for 7 years but there is no free counselling that has unlimited sessions so have always run out eventually.
Teach mee. How do you do that?

Grounding? It's fairly easy but it might not work for everyone. It's basically anything that will distract you whilst your mind is racing on whatever subject it is you're panicking over.

So I like to distract myself by using my senses - I'll focus on 10 things I can see, 5 things I can hear, 2 things I can smell etc.

I have a friend that recites her favourite poem back to herself to cope. If neither of these sound appealing to you, then there's some pretty good ones you can find here: https://www.healthline.com/health/grounding-techniques#physical-techniques
You might find you'll have to try out some different ones to see what works best for you.

It just helps bring your mind back to reality somewhat.
Original post by Joleee
beta blockers for physical symptoms. ngl i don’t have any coping mechanisms. keeping a routine helps (so lockdown’s been a nightmare) and accomplishing short term goals one at a time. knowing i’m doing something even if it’s small lessens the anxiety. staying away from triggers. i am a masochist from birth and used to seek out triggers to remind me my anxiety is not unwarranted.

been in and out of therapy for 7 years but there is no free counselling that has unlimited sessions so have always run out eventually.

I alsooo take beta blockers. Which one do you take and how long have you been taking them for? I agree. I have to be in control to prevent my anxiety from worsening too
Original post by MidgetFever
Grounding? It's fairly easy but it might not work for everyone. It's basically anything that will distract you whilst your mind is racing on whatever subject it is you're panicking over.

So I like to distract myself by using my senses - I'll focus on 10 things I can see, 5 things I can hear, 2 things I can smell etc.

I have a friend that recites her favourite poem back to herself to cope. If neither of these sound appealing to you, then there's some pretty good ones you can find here: https://www.healthline.com/health/grounding-techniques#physical-techniques
You might find you'll have to try out some different ones to see what works best for you.

It just helps bring your mind back to reality somewhat.

Oh I’ve heard of thatt. I start to dissociating instead tho. I’ll try that method tho x
Reply 13
I alsooo take beta blockers. Which one do you take and how long have you been taking them for? I agree. I have to be in control to prevent my anxiety from worsening too

propranolol 40mg. just one a day before i leave the house (or in the case
of lockdown when i started my shift from home). used to take them very rarely like only when i had to write an exam but been taking them regularly now for a year. what about you? what’s your coping mechanisms and are you in therapy?
Nothing helps mate. It has ****ed me up
Original post by Joleee
propranolol 40mg. just one a day before i leave the house (or in the case
of lockdown when i started my shift from home). used to take them very rarely like only when i had to write an exam but been taking them regularly now for a year. what about you? what’s your coping mechanisms and are you in therapy?

Same. I take it twice a day tho. I hate the feeling of my heart dropping every second lmaoo. My coping mechanism are so unhealthy (dissociating, counting calories, just focusing on weight to get myself away from reality etccc) and I do online therapy but it’s kinda helpful sometimes.
Posting to subscribe.
I need new tips :/ don’t know how to get rid of that choking feeling/ breathing problems and they have been more consistent lately
25mg nicotine patch (of course don't do this, this is just my way of not smoking when anxious)

70dcf48f9406957af5afb3b8c0130b2f.png
A fellow student of life I suppose. (also I can't give you a +1, apparently already have recently... T_T)
No fap so far has been helpful which increased my energy levels and reduced overall anxiety. I also try to keep a good diet cut out sugary foods and drinks which used to cause spikes in my emotions. Drinking water consistently has been great it flushes the system of toxins. Cold showers are good to combat anxiety too I noticed.

Quick Reply

Latest