The Student Room Group

Maths PGCE via SKE

I completed my Undergrad in 2016, at the time my ambition was to spend a few years working within industry before returning to University and complete a PGCE in business. Now that I'm older and slighlty wiser, I'm still wanting to teach, but instead of business, switch to maths.
I don't have a Maths alevel, during my alevels I had some poor health which meant I wasn't able to complete them, instead switching to a Btec which was more flexable around my health issues at the time.
From what reasrch I've done so far, I've come across the SKE. Has anyone had any experiance with getting onto a Maths PGCE with an SKE?

Thanks for any help or advice anyone can give!
Original post by MPBeedle
I completed my Undergrad in 2016, at the time my ambition was to spend a few years working within industry before returning to University and complete a PGCE in business. Now that I'm older and slighlty wiser, I'm still wanting to teach, but instead of business, switch to maths.
I don't have a Maths alevel, during my alevels I had some poor health which meant I wasn't able to complete them, instead switching to a Btec which was more flexable around my health issues at the time.
From what reasrch I've done so far, I've come across the SKE. Has anyone had any experiance with getting onto a Maths PGCE with an SKE?

The SKE is your best way forwards but funding for these has been cut which means it's not such an easy route any more.

As a country, we are desperate for maths teachers, so I would contact some local unis/ITT courses for advice.
Original post by MPBeedle

How much maths content was in your degree? And why are you keen to teach maths instead of business?

I know even for maths, many training providers will expect either an A-level or at least a good chunk of degree content that's related. As Sarc mentioned, an SKE is an option, but funding may be limited. It might be better to pay to take the A-level, since there's no practicals it's not overly complicated to just sit as a private candidate.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending