The Student Room Group

Changing PGCE Courses

I've currently accepted an offer for Secondary Mathematics at University of Manchester, however, I started my SKE course in late May so I don't have enough time to finish it before the September start date. I had e-mailed the university asking if they could change my course to Primary PGCE but I have yet to hear back from them so I was wondering if anyone knows if it is possible for me to make this change? Or would they reject me completely? Has anyone been in this situation before? I really need advice and reassurance as of this moment. Thank you!
Original post by owaeyo
I've currently accepted an offer for Secondary Mathematics at University of Manchester, however, I started my SKE course in late May so I don't have enough time to finish it before the September start date. I had e-mailed the university asking if they could change my course to Primary PGCE but I have yet to hear back from them so I was wondering if anyone knows if it is possible for me to make this change? Or would they reject me completely? Has anyone been in this situation before? I really need advice and reassurance as of this moment. Thank you!

Primary teaching and Secondary teaching are very different. You really need to have a think about what and who it is you ACTUALLY want to teach, rather than just switching to primary for the sake of teaching.
Reply 2
Original post by 1secondsofvamps
Primary teaching and Secondary teaching are very different. You really need to have a think about what and who it is you ACTUALLY want to teach, rather than just switching to primary for the sake of teaching.

Tbh, I think that's also one of the reasons I want to switch because the past year I had been working in a nursery and an after school club, so I'm already comfortable with the primary age range and feel like I could connect with them better as well. I had applied to PGCE as a second option, as my first was finding a job, so I was not thinking properly about the age group and what who I would like to teach but right now it's become my first option. I've always gotten along with younger children better and I surely feel more confident with that age range as well. I'm just afraid the university wouldn't be able to switch me, because the course has taken more priority than finding a job at the moment.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending