The Student Room Group
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website

Official Sheffield Hallam University (SHU) 2021 applicants chat thread

Hey!

Welcome to our official Sheffield Hallam chat thread where you can find other applicants who may be considering the same course as you or just want to chat in general about the university. :cyber:

While we want this to be a place for you to openly chat to one and other, feel free to ask us any questions you have about studying here or about student life in Sheffield!

Here’s a couple of questions to get the conversation started:
What course are you applying for?
Where else are you thinking of applying to?
What stage are you at in your application?
How do you feel about starting uni?
What Hallam accommodation are you looking at?

We also have an official account for our student ambassadors, so tag @hallamstudents to hear about their experience of Hallam! You may also want to check out the 2020 applicant chat thread where there might already be answers to your questions or applicants who are now students that you can reach out to.

If you’re completely unsure on what you want to do, but like the look of Hallam, a good place to start is our Study here section of our website, which includes student stories, information on why you should choose us and our guide to Sheffield for new students!

- Rachel and Ella - Official Sheffield Hallam University reps
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hello,
Im thinking of applying for creative writing but with a foundation year in 2021. Im currently in my first year of college and due to home problems I need to leave. I have calculated it and I'm currently doing a course at college( level 3 UAL in creative writing for media) and if I do one year and get a merit I will have 60 UCAS points and the current points you need are 48. Would the uni accept me onto the course if meet what they are asking? I'm currently 18. Thanks!
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website
Original post by jdbhabie
Hello,
Im thinking of applying for creative writing but with a foundation year in 2021. Im currently in my first year of college and due to home problems I need to leave. I have calculated it and I'm currently doing a course at college( level 3 UAL in creative writing for media) and if I do one year and get a merit I will have 60 UCAS points and the current points you need are 48. Would the uni accept me onto the course if meet what they are asking? I'm currently 18. Thanks!

Hi @jdbhabie,

I'm pleased to hear you are thinking of applying to our Creative Writing with a foundation year course! I'm sorry that you feel like you need to leave home soon than expected, but we can definitely offer you some advice and support about applying to uni to get you started. Have you considered carefully why you want to leave home? It might be a good idea to chat to one of your tutors at college or the support services there about this so they can offer you some support and advice to help you with your current studies. You can find out more about how we help students who are estranged from their families on our website.

I have contacted our applications team directly to find out whether entry with this qualification is possible and I will let you know when I have an answer. However if you have any further questions you can also chat to our course enquiries advisers on our staff tab of our chat platform as well as get a feel for the uni by chatting with our current students.

Let me know if you have any questions about student life here or in Sheffield!

- Ella (Official Sheffield Hallam University rep) :h:
Applied last week. Haven't had an acknowledgement email yet but fingers crossed for some news soon 🤞
Original post by Anonymous
Applied last week. Haven't had an acknowledgement email yet but fingers crossed for some news soon 🤞

Hey, that's great news, I'm happy to hear you have applied to Sheffield Hallam! What course have you applied to? Good luck with your application!
- Ella :h:
Original post by Sheffield Hallam University
Hey, that's great news, I'm happy to hear you have applied hto Sheffield Hallam! What course have you applied to? Good luck with your application!

Thank you, I have applied for Diagnostic Radiography. Is it normal not to get an acknowledgement email?
I'll be applying to Sheffield Hallam to do Sports Development with Coaching. Hoping I won't be the oldest on the course by a mile at 33 by September 2021!

Any idea how many mature students are at SHU?

Sheffield really appeals to me as a city and SHU seems to tick every box in terms of accommodation, facilities, course, sports clubs etc.
Thank you, I have applied for Diagnostic Radiography. Is it normal not to get an acknowledgement email?

Hey, did you apply direct or through UCAS?

Original post by dangermau5e
I'll be applying to Sheffield Hallam to do Sports Development with Coaching. Hoping I won't be the oldest on the course by a mile at 33 by September 2021!

Any idea how many mature students are at SHU?

Sheffield really appeals to me as a city and SHU seems to tick every box in terms of accommodation, facilities, course, sports clubs etc.

Hey @dangermau5e,

I'm pleased to hear you applying to Hallam! The number of mature students varies course by course, year by year so it's hard to say. We have a Sheffield Hallam Mature Students Facebook group you can join to meet some like minded mature students across different courses before you arrive!

I'm glad you see what an amazing student city Sheffield is! Where are you from? Have you been to one of our virtual open days?

Hey @dangermau5e,

I'm pleased to hear you applying to Hallam! The number of mature students varies course by course, year by year so it's hard to say. We have a Sheffield Hallam Mature Students Facebook group you can join to meet some like minded mature students across different courses before you arrive!

I'm glad you see what an amazing student city Sheffield is! Where are you from? Have you been to one of our virtual open days?

Thanks Ella. I'm from Hampshire, about 3 1/2 hours drive south. I've started looking at various social media for SHU so will take a look at that one too.

I did the virtual open day earlier this month. Cant compete with face to face but it was good to be able to speak to some staff and students online to get more of an insight. Hoping to be able to come up to Sheffield and have a proper look around the city and the university campuses in spring/summer next year if Covid allows but I'm certainly looking forward to hopefully getting an offer before then!
Original post by dangermau5e
Thanks Ella. I'm from Hampshire, about 3 1/2 hours drive south. I've started looking at various social media for SHU so will take a look at that one too.

I did the virtual open day earlier this month. Cant compete with face to face but it was good to be able to speak to some staff and students online to get more of an insight. Hoping to be able to come up to Sheffield and have a proper look around the city and the university campuses in spring/summer next year if Covid allows but I'm certainly looking forward to hopefully getting an offer before then!

Hey again @dangermau5e,

That's great, definitely worth checking out, if you join now some current mature students will be able to give you some more info on what it is like to study here.

I'm glad you took the chance to pop into our virtual open day, I know it doesn't compare, it doesn't compare for the staff either, we miss seeing our applicants faces! However, I'm pleased you got to speak to some staff and students to gain more insight. I hope you get the chance to visit in the new year, if you want to plan your trip ahead of time you can use our explore Sheffield page to find some good spots to visit and eat!

Good luck with your application!
Hey, did you apply direct or through UCAS?

Through UCAS so i got the general UCAS acknowledgement but nothing from Sheffield.

Not worried keeping fingers crossed for good news though
Hi there,I am going to be applying for the Adult Nursing course as a mature student and I was wondering if I could use my work colleague at my retail job as my source of reference? Would that be deemed acceptable? Thank you
Through UCAS so i got the general UCAS acknowledgement but nothing from Sheffield.

Not worried keeping fingers crossed for good news though

Hey, the UCAS acknowledgement is on behalf of Hallam too. I hope you hear back soon, good luck with you application! Let me know if I can help you with anything else! Our next virtual open day is this Saturday where you can watch our latest course talks and chat with tutors, current students, our applications team, accommodation advisers and student support. I definitely recommend booking onto this so you have a better understanding of the course.
Original post by psunuwar96
Hi there,I am going to be applying for the Adult Nursing course as a mature student and I was wondering if I could use my work colleague at my retail job as my source of reference? Would that be deemed acceptable? Thank you

Hi @psunuwar96,

I'm glad you're looking to apply to Hallam! You can find more information about what references are suitable on this UCAS page. You can also sign up to our next virtual open day this Saturday to have the opportunity to use our live chat with our applications advisers who will be able to clarify this for you. You can also use this opportunity to watch our new Nursing (Adult) course talk and chat to tutors, current students and other university services such as our accommodation team and student support team.

Let me know if you have any other questions about studying at Hallam or student life in Sheffield. :h:
- Ella
Hey, the UCAS acknowledgement is on behalf of Hallam too. I hope you hear back soon, good luck with you application! Let me know if I can help you with anything else! Our next virtual open day is this Saturday where you can watch our latest course talks and chat with tutors, current students, our applications team, accommodation advisers and student support. I definitely recommend booking onto this so you have a better understanding of the course.

Great thank you 😊

Yes Im all booked in and really looking forward to it 👍
Great thank you 😊

Yes Im all booked in and really looking forward to it

That's great to hear, I hope you get a lot out of our open day event. Make sure you take full advantage of using the live chat feature to talk to our current students and academics whilst on the event, they will be happy to answer any questions you have.

- Rachel
Reply 17
Sheffield Hallam is one of my choices that I am considering for next year. Finished my personal statement just need to send of my ucas. The only thing am worried about is that I will be 21 when I start my course next September and am just concerned that I won’t be able to fit in or be accepted by other students on my course.
Original post by hk00
Sheffield Hallam is one of my choices that I am considering for next year. Finished my personal statement just need to send of my ucas. The only thing am worried about is that I will be 21 when I start my course next September and am just concerned that I won’t be able to fit in or be accepted by other students on my course.

Hey @hk00, I'm pleased to hear that you're considering Hallam! What course are you looking at applying to? It's great that you have finished your personal statement, I advise you check out our tips from the Head of Admissions before you send it off!

I understand your concern, but there is no need to be worried about your age, we have a lot of students who have had a gap year or started much later and I'm sure there will be someone on your course or in your accommodation in a similar position. Sometimes you are able to find fellow applicants in the same position as you on TSR or in Facebook applicant groups so trust me when I say you're not alone. The age gap isn't too big in your case and at university there isn't a divide between ages like there is at school. :h:

Let me know if you have any other questions!
- Ella
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 19
Hey @hk00, I'm pleased to hear that you're considering Hallam! What course are you looking at applying to? It's great that you have finished your personal statement, I advise you check out our tips from the Head of Admissions before you send it off!

I understand your concern, but there is no need to be worried about your age, we have a lot of students who have had a gap year or started much later and I'm sure there will be someone on your course or in your accommodation in a similar position. Sometimes you are able to find fellow applicants in the same position as you on TSR or in Facebook applicant groups so trust me when I say you're not alone. The age gap isn't too big in your case and at university there isn't a divide between ages like there is at school. :h:

Let me know if you have any other questions!
- Ella

Thank you will definitely be taking your advice and sending my personal statement to head of admissions first. The course am looking at is airline and airport management it’s different it’s unique and not many unis offer that course so probably will be a first choice but other than that anything along the lines of business management and hospitality is my go to choice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending