The Student Room Group

UK LLB to American law school?

I've done some research on this however the whole thing is a little bit confusing, so I just want to check if my understanding is correct with someone more well-versed than me.

So I've applied for 5 Uk universities for law. After I graduate I plan to go to law school in America and qualify to be a lawyer there. Is it correct that to qualify as a lawyer in America you must complete the equivalent of a 3-year undergrad in the UK, and then you spend 3/4 more years in actual law school?

So if I do my LLB in the UK, then go to law school in America, I will be a fully qualified lawyer without spending any "unnecessary " or extra time studying correct? any help is much appreciated.
to my knowledge if you do the 3-4 year LLB in UK with the work experience required u should do the bar exam of the jurisdiction u want to work in and if you get accepted then u can automatically work there
Reply 2
Original post by lawyer1456
to my knowledge if you do the 3-4 year LLB in UK with the work experience required u should do the bar exam of the jurisdiction u want to work in and if you get accepted then u can automatically work there

Im pretty sure it takes 6 years to qualify in America, so I don't think that is the case.
Original post by Jdjdjdjdjd
I've done some research on this however the whole thing is a little bit confusing, so I just want to check if my understanding is correct with someone more well-versed than me.

So I've applied for 5 Uk universities for law. After I graduate I plan to go to law school in America and qualify to be a lawyer there. Is it correct that to qualify as a lawyer in America you must complete the equivalent of a 3-year undergrad in the UK, and then you spend 3/4 more years in actual law school?

So if I do my LLB in the UK, then go to law school in America, I will be a fully qualified lawyer without spending any "unnecessary " or extra time studying correct? any help is much appreciated.

Correct - law school is postgraduate only in the US. You could complete a UK LLB and then do a US JD, followed by the bar examination in whichever state you want to practice in (e.g. New York, California). Bear in mind that US JD programs are extremely expensive though, and this route isn't much faster than the typical US K-JD route (i.e. 4 years of undergraduate + 3 years of law school).

You can also sit for the California or New York bar exam with just a UK LLB I believe. That being said, the real difficulty will come in trying to convince a US law firm to hire you as an attorney if you only have a UK LLB, especially when there are droves of US-educated lawyers who are much more familiar with and better qualified to advise on US law fighting for the same spots.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending