The Student Room Group

Unemployed masters grad and almost 30. Feel rock bottom.

I shall be 30 in 2 weeks from now, but I'm currently living back at home and unemployed. I spent a total of 5 years at University and around 4 years working (twice internationally in North and South America), but it all now seems such a waste. I feel like I've built up a half-decent CV, but it's obviously not good enough.

I live with my mum, earn £400 a month via universal credit, and get rejected from every single job I apply for. I feel like I'm at the lowest point in my life right now. It appears as if all those years of hard work was an absolute waste of time. Is anyone else in the same boat? I feel like an absolute failure and that it will not get better.
(edited 3 years ago)
You're in the middle of a gigantic recession. Give yourself a break on the job front.

Although not good for you, returning home/never leaving isn't as uncommon as people in this country say

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/oct/18/boomerang-trend-of-young-adults-living-with-parents-is-rising-study
Original post by marinade
You're in the middle of a gigantic recession. Give yourself a break on the job front.

Although not good for you, returning home/never leaving isn't as uncommon as people in this country say

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/oct/18/boomerang-trend-of-young-adults-living-with-parents-is-rising-study

I'm trying to be much kinder to myself in regards to getting a job, but I still put a lot of pressure on myself. I need to find something productive to do with my time. I volunteer twice a week, but I need more.
Original post by augustusiii
I'm trying to be much kinder to myself in regards to getting a job, but I still put a lot of pressure on myself. I need to find something productive to do with my time. I volunteer twice a week, but I need more.

I agree with marinade entirely about giving yourself a break. Out of interest though, have you asked for feedback from those jobs you have applied for? If not, I would always make sure you do so; the worst they'll say is no. Similarly, how fussy are you being at the moment? It might be worth just broadening your search a bit, especially if this is a temporary job to tide you over until covid subsides.
What degree and masters do you have?
There will always be essential jobs, even during a recession, English teachers are always in demand (not high school ones, but ones which are teaching English for foreigners)
Reply 5
I shall be 30 in 2 weeks from now, but I'm currently living back at home and unemployed. I spent a total of 5 years at University and around 4 years working (twice internationally in North and South America), but it all now seems such a waste. I feel like I've built up a half-decent CV, but it's obviously not good enough.

I live with my mum, earn £400 a month via universal credit, and get rejected from every single job I apply for. I feel like I'm at the lowest point in my life right now. It appears as if all those years of hard work was an absolute waste of time. Is anyone else in the same boat? I feel like an absolute failure and that it will not get better.

What are your qualifications and what are you looking for a job doing?
You could try doing an online course to help build skills? There are some great free ones on future learn.
Original post by Destinex
What degree and masters do you have?
There will always be essential jobs, even during a recession, English teachers are always in demand (not high school ones, but ones which are teaching English for foreigners)

I studied history followed by a GDL, and then a masters in law. You The only “decent” work experience I have is some paralegal and basic research roles.
Reply 7

Hello my friend, I'm also in a similar situation to you. I haven't done a master's, and hats off to you for doing it - I think it's a great achievement, but have lived overseas for 7 years; the last nearly two of which I have been unemployed for the majority of the time and now I'm living off social employment benefits. I am 31 and currently live in North America. I've been lucky to have a partner who has supported me financially, but it doesn't stop the feelings of shame, frustration and hopelessness that comes with not being able to earn a living and do something that is somewhat meaningful/enjoyable/related to what you studied. I have been volunteering almost full-time during this year and doing what I would call actual work in the field I want to work in: public policy. And I still hear nothing back from employers. I have the same feelings as you that everything has been a massive waste of time and effort; I worked extremely hard to get into a "good university", struggled through my bachelors degree, went abroad and learnt a second language and now I'm still working hard and getting paid nothing. Many times I feel like an absolute failure too...things that keep me going are putting in the time to challenge my negative thoughts (hard work but essential) and being around friends and making no excuses not to see them even when you feel too depressed/worthless to do so. There's good advice here about doing online courses - I have also done a couple - but at least for me, despite the obvious advantages, it adds to the frustration of not getting anywhere, even having done them. Sorry I don't have any better advice but I always find it helps to hear similar stories from other people.
Reply 8

Hi there,
I have been through the same feeling before. Maybe you can taking up some freelance jobs such as content writing etc.
I wouldn't worry too much about it, please be patient, good things will happen. I do wish you all the best
I'm feeling better now and trying not to put too much pressure on myself in regards to a career, but I truly hope that next year is better for all of us. Everyone who had worked hard in their studies deserves a reward.
Original post by AVKCol
Hello my friend, I'm also in a similar situation to you. I haven't done a master's, and hats off to you for doing it - I think it's a great achievement, but have lived overseas for 7 years; the last nearly two of which I have been unemployed for the majority of the time and now I'm living off social employment benefits. I am 31 and currently live in North America. I've been lucky to have a partner who has supported me financially, but it doesn't stop the feelings of shame, frustration and hopelessness that comes with not being able to earn a living and do something that is somewhat meaningful/enjoyable/related to what you studied. I have been volunteering almost full-time during this year and doing what I would call actual work in the field I want to work in: public policy. And I still hear nothing back from employers. I have the same feelings as you that everything has been a massive waste of time and effort; I worked extremely hard to get into a "good university", struggled through my bachelors degree, went abroad and learnt a second language and now I'm still working hard and getting paid nothing. Many times I feel like an absolute failure too...things that keep me going are putting in the time to challenge my negative thoughts (hard work but essential) and being around friends and making no excuses not to see them even when you feel too depressed/worthless to do so. There's good advice here about doing online courses - I have also done a couple - but at least for me, despite the obvious advantages, it adds to the frustration of not getting anywhere, even having done them. Sorry I don't have any better advice but I always find it helps to hear similar stories from other people.

You're not alone. We just have to keep the faith and never strop trying, and also not to take any future success for granted.

Quick Reply

Latest