The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Are these GCSE grades good enough for LSE?

Hi all,
I've been looking into some of the LSE courses I may potentially be wanting to apply to, these being 'Financial Mathematics and Statistics' and 'Mathematics and/with Economics', however I feel my GCSE grades are going to strongly let me down.

At GCSE I 'achieved' 988887665, for the fact of being the 'Covid year' so I just got the exact same as my Mock results (I was originally wanting to achieve 999988775 if I'd of been able to sit the exams). At A-Level I am taking Maths, Further Maths, Economics and History, and am aiming to achieve A*A*A*A respectively.

If I were to (theoretically) achieve these A-Level grades, would I still have at least somewhat of a decent/strong chance at getting an offer?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by domm1
Hi all,
I've been looking into some of the LSE courses I may potentially be wanting to apply to, these being 'Financial Mathematics and Statistics' and 'Mathematics and/with Economics', however I feel my GCSE grades are going to strongly let me down.

At GCSE I 'achieved' 988887665, for the fact of being the 'Covid year' so I just got the exact same as my Mock results (I was originally wanting to achieve 999988775 if I'd of been able to sit the exams). At A-Level I am taking Maths, Further Maths, Economics and History, and am aiming to achieve A*A*A*A respectively.

If I were to (theoretically) achieve these A-Level grades, would I still have at least somewhat of a decent/strong chance at getting an offer?

Yes /thread
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
Original post by ageshallnot
Yes /thread

Yes... what? A strong chance? Decent chance? Do you think emphasis on GCSEs may be slightly weaker for the Covid year as many students' GCSE grades weren't an actual representation of their ability?
Original post by domm1
Yes... what? A strong chance? Decent chance? Do you think emphasis on GCSEs may be slightly weaker for the Covid year as many students' GCSE grades weren't an actual representation of their ability?

I highlighted the question I was answering. But to reiterate, I think you will be a strong candidate should you apply with those predictions. And yes, I think that unis will have to take this year's GCSEs with a pinch of salt.
YEAH they're fine
Original post by domm1
Hi all,

Have you already posted this thread under another username?

If you're intending to apply post results, unis won't be that interested in your GCSEs. Your GCSEs should be fine, but it may depend on what subject the 5 is in.
Reply 6
Original post by SarcAndSpark
Have you already posted this thread under another username?

If you're intending to apply post results, unis won't be that interested in your GCSEs. Your GCSEs should be fine, but it may depend on what subject the 5 is in.

Nope? However I have posted a fair few threads on the topic of my GCSEs in consideration to applying to universities such as Cambridge, Imperial, LSE, UCL, Warwick, etc. so that may be where the confusion has come from.

I'll run through each of the subjects I achieved the grades I did in:
Business - 9
Computer Science - 8
Science - 8-7
English Language - 6
English Literature - 6
French - 5
History - 8
Maths - 8

Considering all the GCSE subjects I've taken forward to A-Level (that either have direct or somewhat of a correlation, i.e. direct between Maths to Maths and Further Maths, direct between History and History, and a somewhat correlation between Business and Economics) are all A*-equivalent, would this be okay when it comes to university applications?
Original post by domm1
Nope? However I have posted a fair few threads on the topic of my GCSEs in consideration to applying to universities such as Cambridge, Imperial, LSE, UCL, Warwick, etc. so that may be where the confusion has come from.

Business - 9
Computer Science - 8
Science - 8-7
English Language - 6
English Literature - 6
French - 5
History - 8
Maths - 8

Considering all the GCSE subjects I've taken forward to A-Level (that either have direct or somewhat of a correlation, i.e. direct between Maths to Maths and Further Maths, direct between History and History, and a somewhat correlation between Business and Economics) are all A*-equivalent, would this be okay when it comes to university applications?

No offence but this is a pointless thread, as you have nothing to worry about when you achieved 8's in GCSE's for some subjects you are studying at AS. You're giving yourself unnecessary stress.
Reply 8
Original post by Lewi 75
No offence but this is a pointless thread, as you have nothing to worry about when you achieved 8's in GCSE's for some subjects you are studying at AS. You're giving yourself unnecessary stress.

But of course I have slight concern when I've heard about the amount of emphasis LSE are known to hold on GCSE results.
Original post by domm1

Business - 9
Computer Science - 8
Science - 8-7
English Language - 6
English Literature - 6
French - 5
History - 8
Maths - 8

I think you should be fine. It's not just about your A-level subjects, but if the 5 was in English Language, that would have likely been a problem for uni admissions.

LSE is obviously a competitive uni, so it's hard to say you have a strong chance of getting an offer, but your GCSEs won't lead to you being automatically rejected.
Update? Did you get an offer? I got 99988887666 in my GCSEs and I'm worried about getting into LSE
https://www.admissionreport.com/london-school-of-economics

You have about one chance in six overall, but the statistics vary wildly by course. Asking someone with very similar GCSEs to you isn't going to tell you anything more than that - LSE will have loads and loads of applicants whose GCSEs look basically identical to yours. Some of them will get offers and some won't. Nobody, no matter what their GCSEs and A levels, is guaranteed a place at any top UK university. Hopefully you'll get lucky, but there's no point setting your heart on it and there's no way anyone here can predict whether you will be the one in six.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending