The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE straight economics A level change

Scrambling for help. I’m year 13, doing maths, physics and geography. I want to economics now so I’ve taken up AS further, is it possible to get in with this weird combination or am I in desperate need to do a gap year and do AS economics + A2 further maths.
Original post by Anonymous
Scrambling for help. I’m year 13, doing maths, physics and geography. I want to economics now so I’ve taken up AS further, is it possible to get in with this weird combination or am I in desperate need to do a gap year and do AS economics + A2 further maths.

No , apart from physics, Maths and Geograohy are quite helpful for economics. I’m pretty sure you don’t even need economics a level to study it at uni (I’m not too sure specifically for LSE) but the likely hood is that they would want maths specifically.

Your combination actually makes you suited for Economics/finance as well as any type of engineering, so it’s quite versatile and not wierd.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
Original post by hustlr
No , apart from physics, Maths and Geograohy are quite helpful for economics. I’m pretty sure you don’t even need economics a level to study it at uni (I’m not too sure specifically for LSE) but the likely hood is that they would want maths specifically.

Your combination actually makes you suited for Economics/finance as well as any type of engineering, so it’s quite versatile and not wierd.

Yeah, I want to do further maths as I heard my chances are 0 without further maths if my school offered it.
Yeah, I want to do further maths as I heard my chances are 0 without further maths if my school offered it.

Ohh you haven’t picked them yet, if so I recommend you go with maths fm geograph, if you want a 4th go for physics or even economics
Reply 4
Original post by hustlr
Ohh you haven’t picked them yet, if so I recommend you go with maths fm geograph, if you want a 4th go for physics or even economics

Yeah I had the opportunity to in year 12 but after a few lessons I couldn’t handle doing further maths + working. I’ve stopped working so I have tons of spare time. Originally I wanted to do chemistry related things at Uni but now I want to do economics after enjoying so much about stuff in human geography. This year I’ll do further maths properly and I hope to achieve an A for AS further maths. Should I mention on my application that I want to take a gap year to finish A2 further maths to give myself a better chance on getting into LSE? Thanks
I think with AS FM you would at least be considered, although it may be worth having your academic reference note whether you were able to take the full A-level FM from the start or if you didn't realise it would be essential until later so endeavoured to undertake FM in some capacity (i.e. the AS level). That said starting the full A-level FM, then dropping it, then taking up the AS FM the next year is not going to be that compelling though if that is explained...

As you note, the vast majority (85-90%+ I believe) applying to LSE single honours economics have A-level or AS level FM, and I imagine most have the full A-level. Those that don't have it or who only took the AS were probably students going to schools with limited offerings so were unable to take it or had to do so through the AMSP or something I would guess.

There seems little point to discuss in an application for 2021 entry what you might do in 2021 if you are not successful; you are assuming then already that you won't get in which doesn't paint the best picture to admissions staff I would think. Just apply with the AS, which is all you can do, but prepare yourself for the possibility that if you want to apply to LSE single honours economics and are unsuccessful with just the AS level, you will probably need to take a gap year to do the full A-level to improve your application (and bear in mind again even that may not be successful).
Reply 6
Original post by artful_lounger
I think with AS FM you would at least be considered, although it may be worth having your academic reference note whether you were able to take the full A-level FM from the start or if you didn't realise it would be essential until later so endeavoured to undertake FM in some capacity (i.e. the AS level). That said starting the full A-level FM, then dropping it, then taking up the AS FM the next year is not going to be that compelling though if that is explained...

As you note, the vast majority (85-90%+ I believe) applying to LSE single honours economics have A-level or AS level FM, and I imagine most have the full A-level. Those that don't have it or who only took the AS were probably students going to schools with limited offerings so were unable to take it or had to do so through the AMSP or something I would guess.

There seems little point to discuss in an application for 2021 entry what you might do in 2021 if you are not successful; you are assuming then already that you won't get in which doesn't paint the best picture to admissions staff I would think. Just apply with the AS, which is all you can do, but prepare yourself for the possibility that if you want to apply to LSE single honours economics and are unsuccessful with just the AS level, you will probably need to take a gap year to do the full A-level to improve your application (and bear in mind again even that may not be successful).

So essentially my chances are nothing even if I have an A grade in AS further maths? I heard around quite a lot of students who do AS further maths still get accepted.
Reply 7

I’m with the WJEC board. They do AS and A2 separately. LSE only see further maths as a 4th option.
I’m with the WJEC board. They do AS and A2 separately. LSE only see further maths as a 4th option.

That's not correct; for some courses they only consider FM as a 4th subject. For others they are happy to consider it as part of a combination of three A-levels. Single honours economics is the latter case.

So essentially my chances are nothing even if I have an A grade in AS further maths? I heard around quite a lot of students who do AS further maths still get accepted.

I think you have a chance at least, but bear in mind they get a huge number of applicants for the course and most will have A-level FM; so no matter what you are at a disadvantage to some extent, and will be needing to "prove" otherwise that you would do well on the course (e.g. through your PS).
That's not correct; for some courses they only consider FM as a 4th subject. For others they are happy to consider it as part of a combination of three A-levels. Single honours economics is the latter case.

I think you have a chance at least, but bear in mind they get a huge number of applicants for the course and most will have A-level FM; so no matter what you are at a disadvantage to some extent, and will be needing to "prove" otherwise that you would do well on the course (e.g. through your PS).

I saw around 200-250 applicants were given offers for full A2 further maths. 50 for AS. The reason for the low amount of people that received offers from having an AS is because the general amount of people who applied for AS was 150. Approximately half of those who have A2 FM get accepted whereas a third get accepted with an AS. Obviously he still has a chance and a much better one compared to having no further maths. This data was given by LSE themselves. They even specify on their admissions that “it is acceptable for a student to only take Further Maths to AS providing they achieved an A grade”. LSE is very competitive but if he gets the top grades such as A*A*A* (A* being in a essay subject) and an A in AS further maths then his chances are actually higher than what you mentioned. A lot of students I know, didn’t actually even get A* in FM as they took FM as a 4th subject and LSE only wanted a pass. That’s why they are fine with an A in AS or an E in A2 because to get an E, the person will usually have an A in AS.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending