The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE with AS FURTHER MATHS

I do 3 alevels but wanted to do AS fm as on LSE website for the course it’s says highly desirable. It’s not compulsory but it’s desirable. Has anyone entered thsi way as I rlly don’t want to complete entire 2 year course knowing that what I’m applying for doenst 10000% need it . As if thst the case then I will apply for something like maths only as it’s compulsory.
Reply 1
Original post by high-fiber-organ
I do 3 alevels but wanted to do AS fm as on LSE website for the course it’s says highly desirable. It’s not compulsory but it’s desirable. Has anyone entered thsi way as I rlly don’t want to complete entire 2 year course knowing that what I’m applying for doenst 10000% need it . As if thst the case then I will apply for something like maths only as it’s compulsory.
there is a chance that you could get in, however I know 4/5 friends who applied for straight Economics at the LSE without fmaths and have got rejected. For this reason, I applied to Politics & Economics and currently waiting for a response since I was in the same boat to increase my chances. But, at the end of the day you could still have a strong chance and the personal statement IS VERY IMPORTANT.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

What course are you applying to?

Note that for single honours economics at LSE it's considered highly desirable to have FM and they expect students to be taking A-level Further Maths if their school offers it, and considers those not taking it whose schools offer it as less competitive.
(edited 4 weeks ago)
Original post by artful_lounger
Note that for single honours economics at LSE it's considered highly desirable to have FM and they expect students to be taking A-level Further Maths if their school offers it, and considers those not taking it whose schools offer it as less competitive.

Im applying to actuarial science as I want to do something with maths but a lot of courses in top uni want fm and I didn’t do it for a range of reasons . One being that when I entered yr 12 around September was apparently deadline for change in subjects apart from being aware that fm was needed I had no clue that this was the deadline . I only realised this after September and had a talk with careers advisor in my school I told her this and we found courses to apply one of them being actuarial science . If you look at website it doesn’t say fm is compulsory however it’s says fm atleast AS highly desirable so I thought it would help me out as if I was to do entire 2 year course I would go and apply to something muchhhh more competitive as in a way it would be for waste . Do u get what I mean ?
And even so pl are telling me that the deadline for fm AS in fm is thsi year and I’m late even though I’m doing exam in 2025
Original post by temzzzzz
there is a chance that you could get in, however I know 4/5 friends who applied for straight Economics at the LSE without fmaths and have got rejected. For this reason, I applied to Politics & Economics and currently waiting for a response since I was in the same boat to increase my chances. But, at the end of the day you could still have a strong chance and the personal statement IS VERY IMPORTANT.

That’s what I’m saying and considering fm is EXTREMELY RECOMMENDED however actuarial for eg it says AS highly desirable. Econ always has pl with fm applying regardless but I keep saying that ps is important like by farrr and I am frequently in contact with and LSE graduat from LSE and he is helping me improve my ps although I’m applying to a diff course it’s still helpful .
Original post by artful_lounger

Also bear in mind that I’m currently a year out fore my health so I have to unofficially restart yr 13 I had no choice as I was physically unwell . So I thought why not just do AS
Also bear in mind that I’m currently a year out fore my health so I have to unofficially restart yr 13 I had no choice as I was physically unwell . So I thought why not just do AS

Actuarial science is a pretty mathematical course there based on the modules taken, so I would suggest taking it as they suggest. Remember that getting into the degree is just step 1 - you then need to actually complete the degree and get a good result in it. Having done at least AS Further Maths is likely to very useful background to enable you to succeed on the course after you start.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending