The Student Room Group

A-level maths and further maths in one year?

Hi there,
Im thinking of taking a gap year to do A-level maths and further maths in one year. Would it be possible as I think it is doable if I start learning a level maths straight after my a-level finish
yes def possible as it is like doing 4 AS levels
Reply 2
Original post by rpriv095
Hi there,
Im thinking of taking a gap year to do A-level maths and further maths in one year. Would it be possible as I think it is doable if I start learning a level maths straight after my a-level finish

Why are you thinking of this? Will this be acceptable to the uni you are thinking of?
Reply 3
Original post by kyvsk
yes def possible as it is like doing 4 AS levels

Hi there,

It’s possible- but why do you need to do both in one year?
Reply 5
Original post by TypicalNerd
It’s possible- but why do you need to do both in one year?

Had a change of mind of what course I want to do ; Law to Economics as I want to get into investment banking. I know economics is not needed to get into IB but I would find it enjoyable. I want to take a gap year and get into Economics at one of the target unis , mainly LSE, UCL, Imperial and Warwick. I have also always enjoyed maths
Reply 6
Original post by Muttley79
Why are you thinking of this? Will this be acceptable to the uni you are thinking of?

Career change and wanting to do Economics at uni as I think it would be quite enjoyable. And yes it Is acceptable to the unis I'm thinking of ; retakes they don't accept but new subjects that you do in a gap year they accept
Had a change of mind of what course I want to do ; Law to Economics as I want to get into investment banking. I know economics is not needed to get into IB but I would find it enjoyable. I want to take a gap year and get into Economics at one of the target unis , mainly LSE, UCL, Imperial and Warwick. I have also always enjoyed maths

Imo, that is reasonable.

Best of luck with your application.
Reply 8

What GCSE grade did you get? Presumably a TAG?
Reply 9
Yup TAG - got an 8 in maths but I also did well in other quantitative subjects e.g physics - 7
What GCSE grade did you get? Presumably a TAG?
Reply 10
Original post by TypicalNerd
Imo, that is reasonable.

Best of luck with your application.
Reply 11
Yup TAG - got an 8 in maths but I also did well in other quantitative subjects e.g physics - 7

I teach Maths hence my questions - did your teachers want you to do Maths/FMaths A levels?

I would go for Edexcel and look at Dr Frost:
Maths: https://www.drfrostmaths.com/courses.php?coid=29
FMaths: https://www.drfrostmaths.com/courses.php?coid=352

Look at the spec to decide FMaths options - I would start with Year 1 Maths before starting FMaths.

Set up a thread when you start and tag me if you need help. Ask your school if they'll let you do the exams there as that option is likely to be cheapest.
Reply 12
Wow!! Thanks a lot really appreciate it. Yep, had my first a level exam yesterday and met my old maths teacher - she was saying how I was good at maths and how I should have done it. I will ask my head of year if I can sit my exams after I receive my results
I teach Maths hence my questions - did your teachers want you to do Maths/FMaths A levels?

I would go for Edexcel and look at Dr Frost:
Maths: https://www.drfrostmaths.com/courses.php?coid=29
FMaths: https://www.drfrostmaths.com/courses.php?coid=352

Look at the spec to decide FMaths options - I would start with Year 1 Maths before starting FMaths.

Set up a thread when you start and tag me if you need help. Ask your school if they'll let you do the exams there as that option is likely to be cheapest.
Reply 13

Hi, Just a heads up. I applied to economics this year with 4 A stars predicted including Maths, FM, Economics to all these unis and I got rejected from all. I also had a PS which peers and teachers were said was good but I still got rejected due to 'strong quality' of applicants. Asking around this has happened to several people this year and from previous years and it is likely to get even more competetittive. I have an offer from Nottingham which is still top 10 but I am still considering a gap year to apply for LSE or UCL against but for something less competitive (e.g a joint Econ course) provided I achieve the grades. I say you should definitely go for it but I just wanted to give you a heads up that pure economics is insanely competitive for these target unis and I wish I did more research for other courses. e.g. Ucl has economics and business and Warwick has economics and industrial organisation. This isn't a discouragement by any means, if you definitely want to you should go for it but I suggest researching more widely on other economics related courses at top unis (which is what I should have done when applying).
Reply 14
Wow!! Thanks a lot really appreciate it. Yep, had my first a level exam yesterday and met my old maths teacher - she was saying how I was good at maths and how I should have done it. I will ask my head of year if I can sit my exams after I receive my results

Do ask if they'll lend you textbooks and give you guidance on a scheme of work

There are lots of excellent websites - again ask which your school prefers.

MathsMadeEasy: https://mmerevise.co.uk/a-level-maths-revision/ is another as you can choose the board you are studying.
Reply 15
Original post by dh33r4j_d
Hi, Just a heads up. I applied to economics this year with 4 A stars predicted including Maths, FM, Economics to all these unis and I got rejected from all. I also had a PS which peers and teachers were said was good but I still got rejected due to 'strong quality' of applicants. Asking around this has happened to several people this year and from previous years and it is likely to get even more competetittive. I have an offer from Nottingham which is still top 10 but I am still considering a gap year to apply for LSE or UCL against but for something less competitive (e.g a joint Econ course) provided I achieve the grades. I say you should definitely go for it but I just wanted to give you a heads up that pure economics is insanely competitive for these target unis and I wish I did more research for other courses. e.g. Ucl has economics and business and Warwick has economics and industrial organisation. This isn't a discouragement by any means, if you definitely want to you should go for it but I suggest researching more widely on other economics related courses at top unis (which is what I should have done when applying).

Oh wow. Hmmm I will take this into consideration and I may look for joint honour degrees you mentioned. I assume you also want to get into IB so its common knowledge that as long as you get into the target unis (and semi-target unis) the course doesn't matter as long as its quantitative. I may look at courses that are Econ joint but also have a quantitative subject e.g econ and finance. Thanks a lot for this heads up and I wish you the best at Nottingham!
Reply 16
Fantastic!! If my school is not willing to lend me textbooks , I will ask around as I have quite a few friends who do maths
Do ask if they'll lend you textbooks and give you guidance on a scheme of work

There are lots of excellent websites - again ask which your school prefers.

MathsMadeEasy: https://mmerevise.co.uk/a-level-maths-revision/ is another as you can choose the board you are studying.
Reply 17
Oh wow. Hmmm I will take this into consideration and I may look for joint honour degrees you mentioned. I assume you also want to get into IB so its common knowledge that as long as you get into the target unis (and semi-target unis) the course doesn't matter as long as its quantitative. I may look at courses that are Econ joint but also have a quantitative subject e.g econ and finance. Thanks a lot for this heads up and I wish you the best at Nottingham!

Thank you! Just ensure it is the best possible application you can possibly send in in order to avoid disappointment. Yh exactly as you pointed out I want to go into IB hence I wasn't too disappointed about the fact of going Nottingham since they are strong for IB. And again as you correctly pointed out the course really doesn't matter as long as you have the uni name and connections e.g. I know several people doing economic history at LSE going into IB. I wish you luck on your a levels and gap year!
Reply 18
Original post by dh33r4j_d
Thank you! Just ensure it is the best possible application you can possibly send in in order to avoid disappointment. Yh exactly as you pointed out I want to go into IB hence I wasn't too disappointed about the fact of going Nottingham since they are strong for IB. And again as you correctly pointed out the course really doesn't matter as long as you have the uni name and connections e.g. I know several people doing economic history at LSE going into IB. I wish you luck on your a levels and gap year!

Yes, I will ensure it is the best application I can possibly craft :smile::smile: . Thank you! I wish you luck for your exams too!

Quick Reply

Latest