The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE Application

I’m currently in Year 13, studying Maths, Economics, and Biology.
My predicted grades are A*A*A with the A*s in Maths & Economics.

At the very start of sixth form (about a week in) I was doing the subjects: Maths, Biology, and DT in the hopes of doing Architecture. I changed my mind straight away and swapped DT for Economics as I decided I want to do Economics at university.

Because I don’t do A-level Further Maths (my school does offer it), I’m worried that my application to LSE for Economics would be pointless. They state on their website that they prefer applicants who study Further Maths and that if you don’t do it you need a valid excuse/reason why.

Is it still worth applying to as LSE, it’s my aspiration. Is my reason valid enough?
Original post by Anonymous
I’m currently in Year 13, studying Maths, Economics, and Biology.
My predicted grades are A*A*A with the A*s in Maths & Economics.

At the very start of sixth form (about a week in) I was doing the subjects: Maths, Biology, and DT in the hopes of doing Architecture. I changed my mind straight away and swapped DT for Economics as I decided I want to do Economics at university.

Because I don’t do A-level Further Maths (my school does offer it), I’m worried that my application to LSE for Economics would be pointless. They state on their website that they prefer applicants who study Further Maths and that if you don’t do it you need a valid excuse/reason why.

Is it still worth applying to as LSE, it’s my aspiration. Is my reason valid enough?

Did you read the part on this page where they specifically say, "We understand however that not everyone has the opportunity to follow a Further Mathematics programme, and you will not be disadvantaged because of this. Therefore it is helpful if you and/or your referees can indicate whether or not your school or college offers Further Mathematics classes."

The switch from DT (and Architecture) is irrelevant. You're at a school which doesn't offer Further Maths A level. As long as your school make that fact clear in your academic reference, then (to quote the LSE), "you will not be disadvantaged because of this".
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
I said my school offers it. That’s why I’m hesitant of applying.
Original post by Anonymous
I said my school offers it. That’s why I’m hesitant of applying.

My apologies - I misread your original message. I think you are right to be concerned about the likelihood of an offer.

When you changed your mind from Architecture to Economics, and hence swapped-out your DT A level for Economics, is there any particular reason you opted not to do Further Maths instead? Did you not realise its importance?
Reply 4
I unfortunately didn’t realise in its importance for applying specifically to LSE. I knew that Maths was essential for all the top Economics universities, however, when I realised Further Maths was this important it was 3-4 months into Year 12, and too late to switch.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending