The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE Personal Statement (Economics)

I know that LSE is super selective about the PS; so would these two candidates stand a chance?

Candidate 1: Applied for E&M at 3 universities, and then pure Economics at LSE. Personal Statement has 3 chunks on Econ, and a chunk on Management. Will writing about Management be a weakness, as LSE doesn't like when people's PS aren't tailored to their course?

Candidate 2: Got rejected by Cambridge Economics - PS is fully tailored for pure Econ, but very Macroeconomomics based, with only one short section on Micro. No math like LSE likes.
Original post by Anonymous
I know that LSE is super selective about the PS; so would these two candidates stand a chance?

Candidate 1: Applied for E&M at 3 universities, and then pure Economics at LSE. Personal Statement has 3 chunks on Econ, and a chunk on Management. Will writing about Management be a weakness, as LSE doesn't like when people's PS aren't tailored to their course?

Candidate 2: Got rejected by Cambridge Economics - PS is fully tailored for pure Econ, but very Macroeconomomics based, with only one short section on Micro. No math like LSE likes.

Firstly, I think it depends on:

1) Predicted grades
2) Work experience related to your subject?
3) I feel like many people write about macroeconomics in their personal statement, particularly development economics, so have you written something that doesn't fit that "norm"?
4) Idk if they'll really criticise you on the management part if the rest is really good and your grades, work placement, etc is fine and you show a keen interest. Idk much about management courses at uni but if you can maybe tailor it to economics?

That being said, I am not an admissions officer or student at LSE so yh
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Original post by pugpuppy111
Firstly, I think it depends on:

1) Predicted grades
2) Work experience related to your subject?
3) I feel like many people write about macroeconomics in their personal statement, particularly development economics, so have you written something that doesn't fit that "norm"?
4) Idk if they'll really criticise you on the management part if the rest is really good and your grades, work placement, etc is fine and you show a keen interest. Idk much about management courses at uni but if you can maybe tailor it to economics?

That being said, I am not an admissions officer or student at LSE so yh

Oh and also i know someone who was rejected by Cambridge but accepted by LSE, so I don't think they would take that into consideration. I know another former LSE student who now works, he told me that the people who don't get into Oxbridge go to LSE.
LSE like math in the personal statement?
Reply 4
It would depend on why they got rejected from Cambridge. Perhaps their predicted/achieved grades weren't good enough, which would be a big problem even with the most exceptional PS.
Reply 5
Original post by Mikos
It would depend on why they got rejected from Cambridge. Perhaps their predicted/achieved grades weren't good enough, which would be a big problem even with the most exceptional PS.

A*A*A*A + A* EPQ. Flaw would probably be that the one A is for Further Maths, though probably a minor flaw given there will be some candidates who have not taken Further Maths at all.
Reply 6
A*A*A*A + A* EPQ. Flaw would probably be that the one A is for Further Maths, though probably a minor flaw given there will be some candidates who have not taken Further Maths at all.

Forgive me if I’m wrong here but I thought there was a pre-interview admissions test that Cambridge uses for econ? That might be it
Original post by TheCapstan
LSE like math in the personal statement?

for courses like econ/ finance/ accounting/ data science and stuff yes

Are you a foreign student? if so, do you know the entry requirements for your qualifications?
Btw, there have been people who got rejected with 3 or 4 A*s so grades isn't the only factor

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending