The Student Room Group

How can I politely question my target grades?

Basically I'm getting around 90% in all my Tests, and we juts got back our target grades and mine are all A's, however my friend who scored basically the same as me in all our subjects got predicted all A*s??
So Im a bit confused and upset and worried cuz these grades are important especially this year, and I want to say soemthing to the teachers, but how can I say this politely if that makes sense? Or I want to make my parents say soemthing cuz it's parents evening soon but what can I ask them to say lol so it's doesn't sound rude but gets my point across

Thanks so much
Reply 1
Email them and ask to meet up.
Ask them something like "what can I do to improve my target grade?" That'll tell you why they gave you a lower target grade than your friend. Or if that doesn't work then just outright ask, it's not rude since it's your grade and it's their job to give you a fair one. Don't argue with them though lol. Btw is this a target or predicted grade?
Reply 3
I would suggest asking your teachers in person or even going to your head of year but it might not work as a lot of teachers are scared to predict A*. I'm having the same problem atm and had to involve my parent as I was achieving high As but only predicted a B. My teacher refused to raise it despite other students in the class with A/A* targets achieving lower grades than me.
Original post by Natalia165
Ask them something like "what can I do to improve my target grade?" That'll tell you why they gave you a lower target grade than your friend. Or if that doesn't work then just outright ask, it's not rude since it's your grade and it's their job to give you a fair one. Don't argue with them though lol. Btw is this a target or predicted grade?

Thank you, I think im going to go and talk to them. This is a 'target grade', bit I assume that's the same as a predicted grade?

Original post by cxrmen
I would suggest asking your teachers in person or even going to your head of year but it might not work as a lot of teachers are scared to predict A*. I'm having the same problem atm and had to involve my parent as I was achieving high As but only predicted a B. My teacher refused to raise it despite other students in the class with A/A* targets achieving lower grades than me.

Awww I feel Ur pain sm 😭
When u got Ur parents and stuff involved, what did you actually say to them though aha
are you in y12 or y13?
Original post by _gcx
are you in y12 or y13?

Good luck! Idk; in my school, target grades and predicted grades are different. Target grades are just a "target" - what they think we could achieve if we put a lot of effort in, but they don't really mean anything ultimately, they're not put on UCAS etc. Predicted grades are what they think we will achieve at the level we're working at atm, they're the ones put on UCAS
Original post by vix.xvi

Think target grades at this point are mainly based GCSE attainment. They are inconsequential in any case. They're unconnected from the predicted grades you send off as part of your ucas.
Lol they accidentally put my target grade as C for maths but A* for further maths (was meant to both be A*) at the start of year 12 and never bothered to fix it (I'm y13) since target grades really don't mean anything
Original post by _gcx
Think target grades at this point are mainly based GCSE attainment. They are inconsequential in any case. They're unconnected from the predicted grades you send off as part of your ucas.

Yeah I got 9s in all my subjects that I'm doing at a level, and so did my friend, so I don't think it's to do with my GCSEs x
Good luck! Idk; in my school, target grades and predicted grades are different. Target grades are just a "target" - what they think we could achieve if we put a lot of effort in, but they don't really mean anything ultimately, they're not put on UCAS etc. Predicted grades are what they think we will achieve at the level we're working at atm, they're the ones put on UCAS

Ah I see,
Thanks for Ur repsone ☺️

Lol they accidentally put my target grade as C for maths but A* for further maths (was meant to both be A*) at the start of year 12 and never bothered to fix it (I'm y13) since target grades really don't mean anything

Oohh aha but you know it was meant to be an a* and isn't actually a C which is rly good☺️

Original post by _gcx

Yhh I'm just worried cuz of corona and stuff. For some of my GCSEs they majorly underptedicted me for some subjects and I'm a bit paranoid of the repeating itself if that makes sense xx so that's why I'm a bit worried cuz I work hard for my tests 😔
Original post by vix.xvi
Yhh I'm just worried cuz of corona and stuff. For some of my GCSEs they majorly underptedicted me for some subjects and I'm a bit paranoid of the repeating itself if that makes sense xx so that's why I'm a bit worried cuz I work hard for my tests 😔

Can promise these grades are inconsequential and not worth challenging. You have the rest of y12 and the first bit of y13 to demonstrate your ability and your UCAS predicteds (if you apply to uni) would most likely take into account mocks sat near the end of y12.

Quick Reply

Latest