The Student Room Group

Economics application

I’m 23 years old and has decided to apply for Economics at university. However, when I looked at the entry requirements most of them, including my firm choice (uni of Manchester), only accepts applicants with AAA grades. For context, I finished my Alevels in 2018 and achieved an A* in Maths, B in Chem, B in Bio ,and A for my EPQ.

I guess my question is , should I still go for it and apply ? Economics really interests me and the notion that I would be rejected is incredibly disheartening :frown:
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by johnmichael2021
I’m 23 years old and has decided to apply for Economics at university. However, when I looked at the entry requirements most of them, including my firm choice (uni of Manchester), only accepts applicants with AAA grades. For context, I finished my Alevels in 2018 and achieved an A* in Maths, B in Chem, B in Bio ,and A for my EPQ.

I guess my question is , should I still go for it and apply ? Economics really interests me and the notion that I would be rejected is incredibly disheartening :frown:

You get five choices. So by all means put down a couple which want AAA, but don't be surprised if they don't make you an offer. Use your other three choices to target ABB unis, where you stand a much better chance of success.
My daughter wanted to do Economics and Politics at a top 10 Uni, she found most Unis she applied to didn't flex on the grade requirements - the courses / Unis are very sought after and high offers are common, unless you can meet the widening participation criteria. But there are plenty of decent Unis outside the usual suspects

Another example option maybe, for Economics at Lancaster the standard requirement is AAB but if you pick Economics plus another subject it goes to ABB. Unis often let you drop a subject at the end of year 1 so you could transfer to plain Economics after year 1.

Lancaster used to allow a 1 grade reduction for a good EPQ, I don't think they do any more (they didn't last year) but other Unis do

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending