The Student Room Group

Maths and German BA?

I've applied for lots of different variants of 'maths with/and German' for 2021. Some are Bsc and some BA. I know a Bsc is probably more beneficial considering I'm doing maths, but does anyone have any experience with a BA maths + something else? My only concern is that it might hold me back employability wise? Any help would be great, thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by jpww20
I've applied for lots of different variants of 'maths with/and German' for 2021. Some are Bsc and some BA. I know a Bsc is probably more beneficial considering I'm doing maths, but does anyone have any experience with a BA maths + something else? My only concern is that it might hold me back employability wise? Any help would be great, thanks!

Makes no difference. If you look at Computer Science for example, Cambridge give a BA, Imperial give a BEng and St Andrews give a BSc. For employment purposes the University and degree grade are what you need to worry about.

If anything is going to hold you back employment wise its the degree choice itself. If you will be going for jobs that Maths grads normally go for then your chances with a joint honours or a major/minor degree will be diminished. If it was say Maths with Finance then it wouldn't but Maths with German severely reduces your options in the UK.
Reply 2
Original post by nutz99
Makes no difference. If you look at Computer Science for example, Cambridge give a BA, Imperial give a BEng and St Andrews give a BSc. For employment purposes the University and degree grade are what you need to worry about.

If anything is going to hold you back employment wise its the degree choice itself. If you will be going for jobs that Maths grads normally go for then your chances with a joint honours or a major/minor degree will be diminished. If it was say Maths with Finance then it wouldn't but Maths with German severely reduces your options in the UK.

Any evidence for this? German seems to be a hugely understudied language in the U.K.
Original post by ajj2000
Any evidence for this? German seems to be a hugely understudied language in the U.K.

Possibly their point is the German side of it may not be that useful, as in e.g. business contexts in the UK, any German people you would be dealing with will probably know German or have professional interpreters and/or translators doing the work of mediating between the languages. If this is their argument I'm not sure I necessarily agree since most degree subject knowledge is functionally useless in professional contexts and it's the transferable skills which matter, and the manner in which you develop those is largely irrelevant (so you may as well do it by way of subjects you find interesting personally). Also generally university isn't supposed to just be purely a "good capitalist worker mill", contrary to many people's beliefs...

I'm also not convinced by the assertion that a joint honours in maths (of any combination) is "worse" than a single honours in maths for graduate employment. The only situation where that would really be true I think would be going into academia, and even then maths and German may be better for some areas; if you want to work on logic and set theory, the philosophy of mathematics, or the history of mathematics I imagine German might well be useful as a source language (likewise for certain other combinations for different areas e.g. maths and physics for theoretical physics or applied mathematics PhDs). Even for most quantitative jobs you can cover the range of topics needed in a joint honours with judicious choice of modules, although you may not be able to cover every possibility (e.g. you will probably not be able to do the full range of stats and applied maths type stuff to give you a range of options in both statistical and engineering/physical sciences oriented roles), you can still angle towards one general area. As stated though most grads do jobs unrelated to their UG studies so it seems a moot point anyway.
Reply 4
Original post by ajj2000

Firstly you have not said what type of employment you intend looking for. Will you be looking at UK employers, international employers, foreign employers and in what job market.
The degree you are doing may only benefit you if the employer has a German connection....and even then with Brexit happening the markets will change drastically.
Unless the German part of the degree is relevant, which to most employers it won’t be, it will mean that you miss out on a part of the Maths degree which some employers may consider relevant. To me it is taking a risk.
Original post by jpww20

Im doing an join Honours in Mathematics and Business and my degree is basically everything suprisingly(programming, marekting, finance, economics, infromation technology etc.). TBH maths is a bit overated in the student room because when people say that you can go into an career in nearly anything they lie. relistically the careers you can go into are the business side because the computer side wants people who know how to programme and know tech while mathematic students mainly only know the foundations of computing and computer science students know everything, So CS students will get the job. But thats just me when searching for placements. With Mathematcis going into teching or finance is a typical career but if I was you learn how to programme because then the careers are endless.
your German would be a benefit and a good one because you may be flexible for the big companies. the smaller companies that are only in the UK won't hate you infact they'll proberly just consider you a mathematics grad depeding on where you apply. however if you can change you degree and want to still do an join honours then do maths and business or economics or CS because they are heavy programming and teach a lot of skills but do what your happy with.
If you do Maths with/ and German then regret it when it is too late to change then remeber that you can take a masters in what you wanted to go down if it is relatated to business or CS and a masters is what employees will take as you special area. I am planning to go down AI and Machine learning for MSC which isn't really related to my degree but they accepted me. So pick a masters you won't regret if you regret your undergraduate.
Sry for bas grammer or spelling
Original post by nutz99
Firstly you have not said what type of employment you intend looking for. Will you be looking at UK employers, international employers, foreign employers and in what job market.
The degree you are doing may only benefit you if the employer has a German connection....and even then with Brexit happening the markets will change drastically.
Unless the German part of the degree is relevant, which to most employers it won’t be, it will mean that you miss out on a part of the Maths degree which some employers may consider relevant. To me it is taking a risk.

The main modules they look at from what i've applied to are:
Calculus and Ordinary Differential Equations
Vector Algebra/Geometry
Mathematical Algorithms
Probability
Multivariate Calculus
Statistics

If you want to go into computing then:
Modern Time Series
Quatum Compting
Network Sciences
Option Theory
Statistical Machine Learning

But as I said before to go into computing with mathematics you need to put some effect in programming yourself for better chances.
If you have the first list modules then this would be enough for the majority of jobs at big firms like JP Morgans

Quick Reply

Latest