The Student Room Group

A-level Maths Study Group 2020-21!

Welcome to the A-level maths study group! :woo:

This is basically where you can chat to others about the subject, rant about it, ask questions etc.! There seems to be loads of people doing maths on the year 13 thread so what better than to have a group dedicated to it?! :h:

So to break the ice a little, there's a few questions you can answer below if you want :biggrin:
> Are you in year 12 or year 13?
> What exam board are you on?
> Why did you pick maths?
> Current thoughts on the subject?
> Out of the topics you've covered so far, what's been your favourite and what has been your least favourite - and why?
> Are you taking further maths?

specifications:
AQA - AS // A-level
Edexcel - AS // A-level
OCR- AS // A-level
MEI- AS // A-level
CIE- 2019 exams // 2020 exams onwards
WJEC- AS/A-level

If you know of any good resources that aren't in the list below please feel free to mention them so they can edited into the list!
resources:

Spoiler

credits to @Toastiekid for the OP shamelessly taken from last year's thread :mmm:
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

@Evil Homer here you go! :biggrin:
this is a great idea! maybe I'll finally find the motivation I need to actually revise...
> Are you in year 12 or year 13? year 13, god help me
> What exam board are you on? edexcel!
> Why did you pick maths? ah the question I ask myself every day. it was one of my stronger subjects at GCSE, helps me get into uni and uh I don't really know what else I would've taken honestly

yes, I complain about maths 24/7. most of my uni requirements are AAB so maths is the subject I'm expecting to be my B and I'm very much okay with that. but no, I wouldn't have taken any other subject. and it's alright sometimes.
Original post by procrastinatingb
this is a great idea! maybe I'll finally find the motivation I need to actually revise...
> Are you in year 12 or year 13? year 13, god help me
> What exam board are you on? edexcel!
> Why did you pick maths? ah the question I ask myself every day. it was one of my stronger subjects at GCSE, helps me get into uni and uh I don't really know what else I would've taken honestly

yes, I complain about maths 24/7. most of my uni requirements are AAB so maths is the subject I'm expecting to be my B and I'm very much okay with that. but no, I wouldn't have taken any other subject. and it's alright sometimes.

Haha awesome, what topic do you like the most? :h:
Original post by laurawatt
Haha awesome, what topic do you like the most? :h:

ooh i don't know, at the moment we're doing double angle formulae and all that which is fairly simple once you know the equations. overall if it involves a nice bit of rearranging or solving an equation I'm here for it!
- Year 13
- AQA for single maths, Edexcel for further
- I picked maths because I did ok in GCSE, I need it for the course I've applied to do at uni, and I enjoy it.
- Current thoughts are that A2 Further maths progressively gets deeper into hell (currently on approx the 6th or 7th circle), decision is weird, and mechanics is just physics but taught better.
- Least favourite is the entirety of statistics just because, favourite is probably normal integration although I really didn't like it originally.
Original post by procrastinatingb
ooh i don't know, at the moment we're doing double angle formulae and all that which is fairly simple once you know the equations. overall if it involves a nice bit of rearranging or solving an equation I'm here for it!

Oooh nice! I enjoyed it when we did it in class :h: I love anything algebra-y !
Original post by PurpleMarmalade
- Year 13
- AQA for single maths, Edexcel for further
- I picked maths because I did ok in GCSE, I need it for the course I've applied to do at uni, and I enjoy it.
- Current thoughts are that A2 Further maths progressively gets deeper into hell (currently on approx the 6th or 7th circle), decision is weird, and mechanics is just physics but taught better.
- Least favourite is the entirety of statistics just because, favourite is probably normal integration although I really didn't like it originally.

Ooh lovely :biggrin: I really enjoy the decision bit of fm , but not mechanics!!
Reply 7
hey! y13 maths student here😭🤙🏽
we’re doing A2 differentiation rn, and i kinda need some help on part b? if anyone could explain this to me that’d be amazing!
thank you!
Original post by Grim845
hey! y13 maths student here😭🤙🏽
we’re doing A2 differentiation rn, and i kinda need some help on part b? if anyone could explain this to me that’d be amazing!
thank you!

Do dx/dy and then put 1/ans to get dy/dx. sub in the value of x by using sin^2 A + cos^2 A = 1

I'm not sure if I've explained it very well...
Reply 9
Do dx/dy and then put 1/ans to get dy/dx. sub in the value of x by using sin^2 A + cos^2 A = 1

I'm not sure if I've explained it very well...

ah thanks! i got that bit but i was confused on how to get the answer from 1/8cos(arcsin(pi/4))?
Are you in year 12 or year 13? yr 13 :frown:
> What exam board are you on? mei
> Why did you pick maths? enjoyed it at gcse. goes well with my other subjects
> Current thoughts on the subject? like it, a2 mechanics kinda sucks tho
> Out of the topics you've covered so far, what's been your favourite and what has been your least favourite - and why? fave - trigonometry
worst - just all of a2 mechanics tbh just ew
> Are you taking further maths? no thank god
Original post by Grim845
ah thanks! i got that bit but i was confused on how to get the answer from 1/8cos(arcsin(pi/4))?

you don't use arcsine, you replace 4cos(2y+6) with sqrt(1-x^2) as x=4sin(2y+6). I think, although you may have to factor out the 4 in both cases, I can't remember if you're allowed to keep the coefficient...
Original post by c1student
Are you in year 12 or year 13? yr 13 :frown:
> What exam board are you on? mei
> Why did you pick maths? enjoyed it at gcse. goes well with my other subjects
> Current thoughts on the subject? like it, a2 mechanics kinda sucks tho
> Out of the topics you've covered so far, what's been your favourite and what has been your least favourite - and why? fave - trigonometry
worst - just all of a2 mechanics tbh just ew
> Are you taking further maths? no thank god

ooh nice! Mechanics sucks ahaha
Reply 13
you don't use arcsine, you replace 4cos(2y+6) with sqrt(1-x^2) as x=4sin(2y+6). I think, although you may have to factor out the 4 in both cases, I can't remember if you're allowed to keep the coefficient...

omg that makes so much sense! thank you so muchhh
Original post by Grim845
omg that makes so much sense! thank you so muchhh

No problem 😁
Reply 15
I’m in Y13 (I’m a self studier), I have covered all AS content and found it fairly straight forward. I’m looking at A-Level content and it seems really tough. I really need an A in maths. Is there anything you can recommend to better understand Y2 stuff?
Original post by satsun
I’m in Y13 (I’m a self studier), I have covered all AS content and found it fairly straight forward. I’m looking at A-Level content and it seems really tough. I really need an A in maths. Is there anything you can recommend to better understand Y2 stuff?

I'm not sure, I know there are some fairly comprehensive videos out there which will explain it. You might even be able to get the whole course? I'm rly not sure tho... I would assume the best way is to just try and work through a textbook, looking for video explanations if you're really don't understand things. (I don't know how self teaching works so you've probs already tried all that)

Also just ask anything on here and people will help.
Reply 17
Original post by satsun

honestly what helps me the most is practice. once you’ve skimmed through a topic do exam qs. i recommend on physics and maths tutor - maths- questions by topic- if ur struggling for pure go to C3/4 and do those chapter packs. they’re very helpful! and those similar questions are bound to come up again and again
Original post by satsun

Past exam questions are probably the best thing to do to properly assess how well you know a topic, as above physicsandmathstutor is great for that
You’re probably aware, but the YouTube channel TL Maths does comprehensive lessons on (I think!) all the new spec alevel maths course :smile: could be worth a check out if you get stuck?
- edexcel
- It was my strongest subject at school, along side English literature, but I didn’t pick English literature at A level because I didn’t want to do 4 A levels because I’m a wasteman😂

- it’s manageable tbh, a lot of past papers & practice questions will do justice. Good grades and me are not contemporaneous if I don’t practice lol

- my favourite is probably C3-c4, I’m not a fan of stats/mechanics, I’m scared to even start it, I think I’ll just chunk watch videos until I get it :biggrin:
But subject wise, I think differentiations/ finding gradients / writing equations of things - manipulation of expressions also.

- nah, I’m not :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest