The Student Room Group

aqa a level economics 25 marker help!

can someone help me please! im a year 1 and this is my first long question and im not sure how to go about it!
"assess the view that economic growth is the most important government objective" (25 marks)
would really appreciate some guidance :smile:
Original post by liz3108
can someone help me please! im a year 1 and this is my first long question and im not sure how to go about it!
"assess the view that economic growth is the most important government objective" (25 marks)
would really appreciate some guidance :smile:

Just a couple of pointers here just because I feel like you should probably have a good go at working it out yourself.

Firstly, to consider the argument in the question you've been given, you also need to think about what are the other economic government objectives. These could range from having full employment, price stability whether growth is sustainable.

So on the for side of the argument you can think about how economic growth means more jobs for people, people then have more/higher incomes, better technology and so better life satisfaction.

On the other side of the argument you could mention that if economic growth is purely inflationary then it won't lead to better standards of living. Secondly, GDP growth doesn't equal growth in happiness (take a look at easterlin paradox). Thirdly, economic growth could come at the cost of harming the environment. Fourthly, whilst economic growth is generally good, the benefits from it need to be distributed equally throughout society.
Reply 2
Start with definition.
Then give another definition (is a 25 marker so need 2).

Need a diagram (choose most appropriate).
Analysis (integrate diagram e.g. from AD1 to AD2) (A leads to B because... ).

Then do counter analysis (A may not lead to B because... ).

Then another analysis (with a new diagram dependent on what chain of reasoning you follow) (C leads to D because... ).

Then second counter analysis (C does not lead to D if/because... ).

End with evaluation (depends upon xyz / size / cause / time).

A and C are different causes. B and D are different effects. Fill in the chain of reasoning.
For the final evaluation, try to make sure that it's a different point, and don't just use ceteris paribus (unless you REALLY can't think of something else).

Is a generic plan so tailor it to the question.

Hope this helps (I do OCR and our teacher recommends us to follow this for 25 markers).
Reply 3
Original post by BenRyan99
Just a couple of pointers here just because I feel like you should probably have a good go at working it out yourself.

Firstly, to consider the argument in the question you've been given, you also need to think about what are the other economic government objectives. These could range from having full employment, price stability whether growth is sustainable.

So on the for side of the argument you can think about how economic growth means more jobs for people, people then have more/higher incomes, better technology and so better life satisfaction.

On the other side of the argument you could mention that if economic growth is purely inflationary then it won't lead to better standards of living. Secondly, GDP growth doesn't equal growth in happiness (take a look at easterlin paradox). Thirdly, economic growth could come at the cost of harming the environment. Fourthly, whilst economic growth is generally good, the benefits from it need to be distributed equally throughout society.

thank you so much!!
Reply 4
Original post by shibsr
Start with definition.
Then give another definition (is a 25 marker so need 2).

Need a diagram (choose most appropriate).
Analysis (integrate diagram e.g. from AD1 to AD2) (A leads to B because... ).

Then do counter analysis (A may not lead to B because... ).

Then another analysis (with a new diagram dependent on what chain of reasoning you follow) (C leads to D because... ).

Then second counter analysis (C does not lead to D if/because... ).

End with evaluation (depends upon xyz / size / cause / time).

A and C are different causes. B and D are different effects. Fill in the chain of reasoning.
For the final evaluation, try to make sure that it's a different point, and don't just use ceteris paribus (unless you REALLY can't think of something else).

Is a generic plan so tailor it to the question.

Hope this helps (I do OCR and our teacher recommends us to follow this for 25 markers).

thank you that is so helpful i really appreciate it!

Quick Reply

Latest