The Student Room Group

No motivation , A levels

Hi,
so Im in year 12, I take 4 subjects and idk what's happened. At GCSE I was a straight A student, I would spent every last minute revising, even put before a social life and all I cared about was school. Im not sure what happened but honestly couldn't be any different.My parents teachers and friends would all say i'm revising too much. I don't think lockdown has helped- I feel like I'm working towards nothing, but I haven't even started revising. Im leaving it till the last minute to submit work. For so long getting into my dream uni was such an inspiration for me but I've even lost this - I feel like I'm not even going to get in. Ive felt like this since the start but I thought uno after 6 months in lockdown it would take some getting used Ito. I also went to a new sixth form so I had to put a lot if time and effort into making friends and I guess 'fitting in'. But also the pressures of getting low grades- I couldn't deal with that so that would almost motivate me to revise- I got told my mocks are still going ahead and the though of revising just I can't do it. Everyones always like dam you do 4 A levels you must have no free time, but I feel like I have more time than GCSE and that's a clear indication I'm not doing enough. I just don't know how I'm going to move forward and wondered if anyone else felt he same, any tips for getting motivation?
(edited 3 years ago)
make it fun; i know this sounds like something you'd do for a child- but trust me, it works! for example, i struggle to sit still during online lectures, so i have fidget toys and dance about. if you like singing and dancing, turn your work into a song and dance routine, not only will it give you motivation, but it will help you remember your work!
Reply 2
Try make it fun. The lack of routine in lockdown is what gets everyone down, make it your routing to memorise something before breakfast or do something to make life feel a little more normal then maybe, just maybe. You might find yourself gaining the motivation back!
I feel exactly the same as you, I also moved to a new school. I do three a levels and EPQ and it’s so stressful. It’s like I stress out about doing well enough to the point where I don’t do anything, then I stress that I haven’t done anything.
Today was a good day though I got a bit back on track so that gives me hope for tomorrow. I feel like in lockdown it’s been so much easier to make smaller goals rather than make week long or month long goals. So everyday I just make the goal to do at least 3 hours of work and I just take it from there. Obviously I don’t always get my 3 hours but I’m working on not getting so deflated when I don’t achieve it :wink:
Reply 4
Original post by Amara 1420033
I feel exactly the same as you, I also moved to a new school. I do three a levels and EPQ and it’s so stressful. It’s like I stress out about doing well enough to the point where I don’t do anything, then I stress that I haven’t done anything.
Today was a good day though I got a bit back on track so that gives me hope for tomorrow. I feel like in lockdown it’s been so much easier to make smaller goals rather than make week long or month long goals. So everyday I just make the goal to do at least 3 hours of work and I just take it from there. Obviously I don’t always get my 3 hours but I’m working on not getting so deflated when I don’t achieve it :wink:

Thank you so much, yeah I think will try and do this. I'm glad I'm not the only one 🙃.
Reply 5
Original post by hopey141
Try make it fun. The lack of routine in lockdown is what gets everyone down, make it your routing to memorise something before breakfast or do something to make life feel a little more normal then maybe, just maybe. You might find yourself gaining the motivation back!

thank you so much I will try this :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Levi-Jai
make it fun; i know this sounds like something you'd do for a child- but trust me, it works! for example, i struggle to sit still during online lectures, so i have fidget toys and dance about. if you like singing and dancing, turn your work into a song and dance routine, not only will it give you motivation, but it will help you remember your work!

hehe yeah I think that he problem s- just the work al seems so boring. Thank you so much 😊
Original post by StudentBeA2
hehe yeah I think that he problem s- just the work al seems so boring. Thank you so much 😊

hope this helps. try youtubing ways to make assignments fun. there is normaly alot of people who do videos like that. there are also lots of videos on how to make studying easier

Quick Reply

Latest