The Student Room Group

Thoughts on doing A level online?

Just after some thoughts on doing an A-level online.

There seem to be a number of vendors. Who is good? Who to avoid?

It looks like I'd be locked into study over a maximum of 2 years. I could either depend on the vendor to book the exam for me or I could do this independently.

It all begs the question of whether an online course is even worth it when I could independently study the syllabus. Do I really need tutor access, or would it be stupid to disparage it?
Original post by nighttrain123

It looks like I'd be locked into study over a maximum of 2 years. I could either depend on the vendor to book the exam for me or I could do this independently.

It all begs the question of whether an online course is even worth it when I could independently study the syllabus. Do I really need tutor access, or would it be stupid to disparage it?

I don't like to be negative, but I personally would not recommend doing this. Refund periods are short, and you're looking to pay about £600-£800 per A-Level for no teaching. I have personally tried to do A-Level Spanish with Oxbridge Home Learning, and I had it refunded. You do have to be really self motivated, but in my opinion, it's so hard to do an A-Level without somebody who knows the subject area helping you.

On the other hand, if you're doing the easier A-Levels, this could be an option. Still wouldn't personally recommend, as these courses tend to be the ones that require fieldwork or coursework which need regular feedback and possibly equipment.

Ultimately, if you're determined to study a subject, it might not be such a hurdle - but think about the kind of person you are, and how hard the subjects you're consider are.
Reply 2
Original post by nighttrain123

I’m in year 13, with good predicted grades, but I don’t think I would achieve half as good as I’m predicted without the support of tutors. Maybe you could achieve well if you’re motivated, but I think even a motivated person would struggle. It can be very disheartening try to do A-level work at home as the only person who is studying/has studied them, since there’s no one else in person who could help with it etc. I imagine trying to do it completely at home without any tutor/face-to-face support would be extremely difficult.

Quick Reply

Latest