The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Is Warwick maths and stats a lot easier than straight maths

Just asking out of curiosity, because warwick maths course is basically one of the top in the UK but how about maths and stats, is it a lot less respected?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Just asking out of curiosity, because warwick maths course is basically one of the top in the UK but how about maths and stats, is it a lot less respected?

Can anyone answer to this
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

The stats department is still very good, among the top.

It is true that the course is considered easier, since you have to do far less maths than in the maths degree, (or indeed none at all in the third year) and statistics modules are generally thought of as easier than maths modules but YMMV. Any maths courses you take are straight from the maths department and for the most part you'll be in the same lectures and sit the same exams. This is the case for any business, physics, economics, computer science (all commonly taken by maths & joint students) etc. courses you take too. The primary difference between joint degrees here is the structure and support. More or less any module on the mathstat degree can be taken on the maths degree and vice versa.

I transferred out because I didn't like stats enough to have to do half my degree in it. [but this isn't a particularly easy thing to do and I don't recommend going in with this intention]
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 3
Thank you so much for ur response. I’m asking about this because I feel that my offer came too fast last November without much consideration 😅 while I was rejected by imperial two days ago so I’m probably going to Warwick
Thank you so much for ur response. I’m asking about this because I feel that my offer came too fast last November without much consideration 😅 while I was rejected by imperial two days ago so I’m probably going to Warwick

This is the case for both maths and maths/stats. They give offers to more or less everyone but the offer is hard enough to filter enough people out.

hi I’m a maths stat student 1st year ... it’s not any easier atm that is for sure.
all departmental banter aside (because we all like to make fun of eachother), at the end of the day the statistics/physics/comp sci departments are all pretty well respected.
The stats building is connected to the maths one, they’re not too far off in terms of content either way and both are seen as good degrees by employers (from a first year students’ point of view).
I believe on one leaderboard Warwick’s stats is 8th in the world or something, so pretty good!

Quick Reply

Latest