The Student Room Group

Mr Potato Head loses "Mr" Title. Are snowflakes to blame?

A gender-neutral makeover will see Mr Potato Head become the toy formerly known as Mr Potato Head.
The classic toy's branding is being "reimagined for the modern consumer", its US maker Hasbro announced on Thursday.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-56200811

*Why have they suddenly decided to drop the Mr ?

Society is getting really ridiculous when you can't even call a male a "Mr" through fear of the gender politics in that offending someone......

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The 'modern consumer' couldnt give a **** about this gender myth though... a couple of uppity activists, by definition, are not representative of anything other than the most extreme elements of a fringe movement.

I mean, it makes zero difference as its a *****y toy and the move is immaterial but the principle should be defended nevertheless. It's a pointless move that has no particular benefit for anyone.
Whats happened to Mrs Potato Head?? :s-smilie:
Piers Morgan wont be happy. That copyright must bring him in a fortune. 😁
(edited 3 years ago)
Nobody really cares, but they'll gain more sales from the exposure and publicity this brings than they'll lose to parents who refuse to buy their children mustachio'd vegetables unless they have their choice of pronouns spoonfed to them.
Original post by Napp
a couple of uppity activists, by definition, are not representative of anything other than the most extreme elements of a fringe movement.

Are they though? These people have been flying under the radar for years now and are in places of influence through every major organisation in the country. When this lunacy started a few years ago would you have dreamt that we would be where we are now? At the rate it's accelerating can you imagine where we will be in 10 years?
I saw a comparative survey the other day amongst Americans. In the 1950's in the McCarthy period, 12% when asked said they didn't feel free to voice a true opinion for fear of dire consequences. The same question today has just returned an answer of 40% in fear.
(edited 3 years ago)
I've been having a good laugh at everyone getting outraged over a company opting not to refer to an anthropomorphic potato as Mr.

This is why I enjoy stories like this. It really whips up the online culture warriors.

Anyway, Hasbro have said they are not dropping the Mr., so you can all calm your tits.
Reply 7
Got to laugh at the people getting triggered by a toy company dropping the word 'Mr' for a potato 😂😂😂
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by DSilva
Got to laugh at the people getting triggered by a toy company dropping the word 'Mr' for a potato 😂😂😂

Absolutely.

#BoycottHasbro was gaining traction on twitter. I wish Hasbro had gone ahead with this just for the "conservatives cancel a potato" headlines.
Why do you care? Are those missing two letters going to make any difference?
I couldn’t give a **** anymore honestly, it’s pathetic. The lunatics are running the asylum. What never ceases to amaze me though is how it is absolutely the tiny minority that are pandered to, for seemingly no reason. The minority in this world who object and take offence to anything gender related seem to have so much power.
Reply 11
Original post by imlikeahermit
I couldn’t give a **** anymore honestly, it’s pathetic. The lunatics are running the asylum. What never ceases to amaze me though is how it is absolutely the tiny minority that are pandered to, for seemingly no reason. The minority in this world who object and take offence to anything gender related seem to have so much power.

You're taking offence to a toy company changing the title of a potato.
Original post by DSilva

Why are they changing it though? I’m not taking offence, I said clearly, I couldn’t give a ****. But why are they changing it?
Literally no one asked for this Hasbro's just looking for "bad" publicity from the people who dislike it.
Original post by Calibrated.
I've been having a good laugh at everyone getting outraged over a company opting not to refer to an anthropomorphic potato as Mr.

This is why I enjoy stories like this. It really whips up the online culture warriors.

Anyway, Hasbro have said they are not dropping the Mr., so you can all calm your tits.

Original post by DSilva

Original post by DiddyDec
Why do you care? Are those missing two letters going to make any difference?

Original post by Kitten in boots
Absolutely.

#BoycottHasbro was gaining traction on twitter. I wish Hasbro had gone ahead with this just for the "conservatives cancel a potato" headlines.

Original post by DSilva

Why is the left's response always "WhY yOu So TrIgGeReD bRuH?".
Aren't people allowed to call-out a cringey PR stunt when they see one?
Original post by Joel 96

Just doesn't seem that news worthy really.

Will it materially effect your life?
Will it materially effect your life?

Nope, but just like how a lot of today's news articles don't materially effect my life, like Shamima Begum's citizenship being revoked, or Nicola Sturgeon breaking the ministerial code. I don't see the importance of whether or not something personally effects me as being a requisite as to whether or not I can comment on it.
Original post by Joel 96
Nope, but just like how a lot of today's news articles don't materially effect my life, like Shamima Begum's citizenship being revoked, or Nicola Sturgeon breaking the ministerial code. I don't see the importance of whether or not something personally effects me as being a requisite as to whether or not I can comment on it.

You haven't really commented on it, just commented on other people commenting on it.
You haven't really commented on it, just commented on other people commenting on it.

Then I have absolutely no idea what you're arguing lmao
No, it doesn't materially effect my life.
Original post by Joel 96

To be fair, seeing people lose their **** over this on social media is entirely worthy of mockery and ridicule.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending