The Student Room Group

GCSE Subjects Help!

I've made quite a few regular posts a few weeks ago about GCSE's, but the thing is, I'm really worried, and I don't know where else to go for help, except family and here - school teachers are really biased, and our form teacher's quite new, so he just repeats whatever it says on the school website, so here's my question:

I really want to the get the following subjects for GCSEs:
Geography
History
Health and Social
Ethics and Philosophy

In our school, we have to submit 6 subjects (we also have core subjects, but that's not relevant here). Those four are the ones I really want, and I ordered that according to preference and need. My two reserve subjects are: French and Creative Imedia. Those aren't too bad, but they're not very relevant for the careers I have in mind, or they aren't very interesting.

Please could any of you who have also been through this experience and are quite knowledgeable on it order my subjects in a way that I am likely to get all of the four that I need. Also, I have to have a humanities subject as my first option (this is mandatory). Any other advice would be much appreciated.
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I've done History and French out of your choices here. From personal experience:
History - I can't lie, it's going to take up a lot of revision time because of the content. However, it's definitely do-able if you're an organised person. Passion for the subject is going to help you maintain motivation throughout. :yep:
French - I deffo enjoyed because I'm a language junkie. There's a wide range of resources to help too, and a language at GCSE is sometimes preferred by some unis/employers. It's worth it, despite them being your reserves. :borat:

When considering your choices:
1) If you have a specific career you know you want to get into when leaving school, try to tailor your subjects around them (google uni/employer preferences)
2) If you don't know what you want to do, keep a wide range of options(e.g 1 language, 1 humanity, 1 creative)
3) Pick the ones you will enjoy! You're stuck with them for the next 3 years, so make sure you're at least going to like what you're doing. Enjoying your subjects will partially lead you to getting better grades too.
Reply 2
Original post by RazzzBerries
I've done History and French out of your choices here. From personal experience:
History - I can't lie, it's going to take up a lot of revision time because of the content. However, it's definitely do-able if you're an organised person. Passion for the subject is going to help you maintain motivation throughout. :yep:
French - I deffo enjoyed because I'm a language junkie. There's a wide range of resources to help too, and a language at GCSE is sometimes preferred by some unis/employers. It's worth it, despite them being your reserves. :borat:

1) If you have a specific career you know you want to get into when leaving school, try to tailor your subjects around them (google uni/employer preferences)
2) If you don't know what you want to do, keep a wide range of options(e.g 1 language, 1 humanity, 1 creative)
3) Pick the ones you will enjoy! You're stuck with them for the next 3 years, so make sure you're at least going to like what you're doing. Enjoying your subjects will partially lead you to getting better grades too.

Specifically which universities require a language. I'm not very creative. I do well at language, but I can't cope with the pre-exam stress I feel for every small French test - even the vocab ones.
Thanks so much!
Original post by AA..
Specifically which universities require a language? I'm not very creative. I do well at language, but I can't cope with the pre-exam stress I feel for every small French test - even the vocab ones.

Thanks so much!

None require a language - UCL prefer one but there is a way around that. We don;t make studnets take a language and I teach in a high-performing state school.

Can't understand why you need to have tow reserves to be honest. We fit blocks around choices and rarely need to ask for even one reserve.

Do not put French down if you don't want to do it at all.
Original post by RazzzBerries

You do not need a language at all - there is no issue with not doing one.
Reply 5
Original post by Muttley79
None require a language - UCL prefer one but there is a way around that. We don;t make studnets take a language and I teach in a high-performing state school.

Can't understand why you need to have tow reserves to be honest. We fit blocks around choices and rarely need to ask for even one reserve.

We need reserves, because it's a big school, lots of options, but each subject has a limited number of spaces, so if you don't put reserves it's likely you'll be doing something you don't want to.
Thanks so much for that! I was worried because a few people have told me that some universities require one.
Original post by AA..
We need reserves, because it's a big school, lots of options, but each subject has a limited number of spaces, so if you don't put reserves it's likely you'll be doing something you don't want to.
Thanks so much for that! I was worried because a few people have told me that some universities require one.

My school has 180 students a year - we manage it!

Tell them to name the universites and check it yourself - I was lied to about this sort of thing when I was at school and there was no internet to check it in those days.

This page: https://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate/application/entry-requirements/level-and-gcse-qualifications explains what to do if you don't have a grade 5 GCSE in a MFL.
Reply 7
My school has 180 students a year - we manage it!

Tell them to name the universites and check it yourself - I was lied to about this sort of thing when I was at school and there was no internet to check it in those days.

This page: https://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate/application/entry-requirements/level-and-gcse-qualifications explains what to do if you don't have a grade 5 GCSE in a MFL.

We have around 270 students per year (give or take a few) - and our school is really focused on performing arts, because we're a music school. Our french teacher is very biased about her subject. We had choices week last week, and she kept telling us that it would be beneficial to put french as option 1 or 2. I'm reading the page now.
Thanks so much!
Original post by AA..
I've made quite a few regular posts a few weeks ago about GCSE's, but the thing is, I'm really worried, and I don't know where else to go for help, except family and here - school teachers are really biased, and our form teacher's quite new, so he just repeats whatever it says on the school website, so here's my question:

I really want to the get the following subjects for GCSEs:
Geography
History
Health and Social
Ethics and Philosophy

In our school, we have to submit 6 subjects (we also have core subjects, but that's not relevant here). Those four are the ones I really want, and I ordered that according to preference and need. My two reserve subjects are: French and Creative Imedia. Those aren't too bad, but they're not very relevant for the careers I have in mind, or they aren't very interesting.

Please could any of you who have also been through this experience and are quite knowledgeable on it order my subjects in a way that I am likely to get all of the four that I need. Also, I have to have a humanities subject as my first option (this is mandatory). Any other advice would be much appreciated.

You should definitely do french because it looks REALLY good on your CV, and college/uni application. I was EBAC i’m not sure if that’s a thing only at my school , but it means I was forced to do french AND a humanities subject. I chose history, and I absolutely LOVE it, and the lowest I get on it is a 7 so I think it’s pretty easy, however if you prefer geography then obviously choose that. I’m doing french since I was forced to, and it’s not that bad, it’s a bit boring because you repeat the same stuff but in more detail. And lastly I chose music and separate sciences. I absolutely HATE music and regret choosing it so much, the only thing I like about it is the composition work since i’m pretty good at that. But this is all my opinion and i’m not sure whether it’s helpful but yeh lol
Reply 9
Original post by Ummhelloso
You should definitely do french because it looks REALLY good on your CV, and college/uni application. I was EBAC i’m not sure if that’s a thing only at my school , but it means I was forced to do french AND a humanities subject. I chose history, and I absolutely LOVE it, and the lowest I get on it is a 7 so I think it’s pretty easy, however if you prefer geography then obviously choose that. I’m doing french since I was forced to, and it’s not that bad, it’s a bit boring because you repeat the same stuff but in more detail. And lastly I chose music and separate sciences. I absolutely HATE music and regret choosing it so much, the only thing I like about it is the composition work since i’m pretty good at that. But this is all my opinion and i’m not sure whether it’s helpful but yeh lol

I want to do french because I do quite well in it (so far this year, my lowest score on a test was 95%, and the rest were all 100), but I'm really worried, because one time in yr 7, I got so scared that my mind actually went blank at a question. I've heard that expression so many times, but it has never actually happened to me, and I was completely lost for a few seconds. So, if that happens to me during my GCSEs it could go really wrong. This is pretty much the only reason I didn't put it higher up, but I guess I should, but I don't know which one to remove of my list.
This was really helpful - Thanks so much!

EBACC is mainly for a school's benefit - it is not an offical qualification at all. Universities do not care about it/
Original post by AA..
I want to do french because I do quite well in it (so far this year, my lowest score on a test was 95%, and the rest were all 100), but I'm really worried, because one time in yr 7, I got so scared that my mind actually went blank at a question. I've heard that expression so many times, but it has never actually happened to me, and I was completely lost for a few seconds. So, if that happens to me during my GCSEs it could go really wrong. This is pretty much the only reason I didn't put it higher up, but I guess I should, but I don't know which one to remove of my list.
This was really helpful - Thanks so much!

The poster did NOT give good advice - universites and employers do not care about a MFL. PLEASE choose subjects you are good at and enjoy :smile: Good grades at GCSE are the important thing.
(edited 3 years ago)
EBACC is mainly for a school's benefit - it is not an offical qualification at all. Universities do not care about it/

Omg I did NOT know that, i’ve been told by all my teachers that universities look for a language and a humanities , I legit can’t stand french. I’ve legit been scammed here
Reply 13
The poster did NOT give good advice - universites and employers do not care about a MFL. PLEASE choose subjects you are good at and enjoy :smile: God grades at GCSE are the important thing.

Ok, thanks!

What’s the way around this? I have an unconditional offer from UCL but they still are making me do a language GCSE whilst I’m there. I didn’t do one as I changed schools twice and ended up doing 3 different languages for a year until year 10 so I didn’t take up a GCSE language as I was so far behind.
(edited 3 years ago)
Omg I did NOT know that, i’ve been told by all my teachers that universities look for a language and a humanities , I legit can’t stand french. I’ve legit been scammed here

Yes my school is forcing everyone to do this starting from last year for their own benefit. You were indeed scammed.

Look it up yourself - they weren't being truthful ...
Original post by Googley_eyes
What’s the way around this? I have an unconditional offer from UCL but they still are making me do a language GCSE whilst I’m there. I didn’t do one as I changed schools twice and ended up doing 3 different languages for a year until year 10 so I didn’t take up a GCSE language as I was so far behind.

Don't go to UCL or read the conditions carefully? There is no course that only UCL do so if you don't want to do this go elsewhere :smile:
Don't go to UCL or read the conditions carefully? There is no course that only UCL do so if you don't want to do this go elsewhere :smile:

Thank you. I read the conditions and thought I found a loophole but they won’t accept me learning BSL even though it says they accept it. I feel bad turning down an unconditional from there due to their reputation but I don’t think it’s the best place for me. Thank you.
Original post by Googley_eyes
Thank you. I read the conditions and thought I found a loophole but they won’t accept me learning BSL even though it says they accept it. I feel bad turning down an unconditional from there due to their reputation but I don’t think it’s the best place for me. Thank you.

There are plenty of other great universities :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest