The Student Room Group

Can't go to therapy while living with parents

The past three years that I have been living out at Uni, I have been having frequent therapy sessions which have been a blessing. However, I will be moving back to my parents house very soon which makes it substantially more difficult for me to continue. My parents are not supportive and never will be, so I have to find ways around.

I can't even have online sessions because my house is tiny and someone would inevitably hear me. Likewise, I'm not sure how effective sitting on a park bench surrounded by screaming children would be. Most likely, the service would require me to physically go to the venue (when restrictions lift) which would be basically impossible; my parents hover a lot, always have to know where I'm at and where I'm going etc even though I'm 21. I could maybe pull it off for the first month or so, but they would eventually find out.

I really want help. I've been in a really bad place mentally for a long time but I'm not sure how to go about this considering my circumstances. Any ideas?
Mate’s house maybe
Reply 2
Why are your parents so unsupportive of you having therapy? Would it be worth just talking to them about it, reminding them that you're an adult now, or is that not just possible?
Also, when restrictions aren't as restrictive, going to an understanding friend's place for a bit for online sessions could work also, expanding on anonymous #2's reply.

Good luck with all that though.
Reply 3
Original post by Nediah
Why are your parents so unsupportive of you having therapy? Would it be worth just talking to them about it, reminding them that you're an adult now, or is that not just possible?
Also, when restrictions aren't as restrictive, going to an understanding friend's place for a bit for online sessions could work also, expanding on anonymous #2's reply.

Good luck with all that though.

No, as much as I wish they would be, my parents will never be supportive of it. Been their daughter for 21 years, I know them.

unfortunately, I don’t have any friends:frown:
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
No, as much as I wish they would be, my parents will never be supportive of it. Been their daughter for 21 years, I know them.

Oh. I dunno what to do then, other than waiting for opportunities for when it's just you in the house, which might not even be possible. Seems kind of controlling honestly.

Internet cafes or library?
Shut the bedroom door? Schedule appointments when you know they go to work/shopping? Have you thought about wearing headphones to keep the conversation private. Do you have a car so could go for a drive? I hope you find a way
Completely understand your situation and know how difficult it is. I was struggling with the same thing this summer - trying to arrange online therapy while hiding it from parents who believe therapy is for weak losers.

Do your parents work outside the home at all right now?

I would arrange my appointments for when they were both out the house, however as their shifts could be unpredictable I had an agreement with my therapist that we could rearrange at short notice.

Do you drive at all or have a car?Could be possible to take a drive and do it over your phone, or even take a walk and have sessions while you’re out walking.

Some offer text services too. Might be worth checking out something like that, though the idea doesn’t appeal to me personally but it may work for you!
Reply 8
Internet cafes or library?

No internet cafe where I live, unfortunately. I initially thought about the library but my local library is in shambles and from what I know, you need to pay to book a private room (which I can't afford, the therapy sessions would already drain my bank...)
Reply 9
Original post by canyoustopthat
Completely understand your situation and know how difficult it is. I was struggling with the same thing this summer - trying to arrange online therapy while hiding it from parents who believe therapy is for weak losers.

Do your parents work outside the home at all right now?

I would arrange my appointments for when they were both out the house, however as their shifts could be unpredictable I had an agreement with my therapist that we could rearrange at short notice.

Do you drive at all or have a car?Could be possible to take a drive and do it over your phone, or even take a walk and have sessions while you’re out walking.

Some offer text services too. Might be worth checking out something like that, though the idea doesn’t appeal to me personally but it may work for you!

Yeah, it is a struggle :frown: I'm glad that it worked out for you!

Both my parents work from home and are pretty much a constant presence around the house, so I have 0 privacy...

I have been thinking about letting any potential therapist know that I might have to cancel/rearrange sessions short notice, but from what I've seen, a lot of therapists in my area require a commitment of at least once or twice weekly sessions, so I'll have to figure that out...

Honestly, I think it will have to come down to sitting on a park bench or something, but it's going to be really hard as I find it hard to concentrate lol :redface:
Yeah, it is a struggle :frown: I'm glad that it worked out for you!

Both my parents work from home and are pretty much a constant presence around the house, so I have 0 privacy...

I have been thinking about letting any potential therapist know that I might have to cancel/rearrange sessions short notice, but from what I've seen, a lot of therapists in my area require a commitment of at least once or twice weekly sessions, so I'll have to figure that out...

Honestly, I think it will have to come down to sitting on a park bench or something, but it's going to be really hard as I find it hard to concentrate lol :redface:

Depending on where you live some services are opening up in person appointments so potentially you could go there directly.

Is there a reason your parents can't know?
Either dont move back in, particularly if the living situation is bad for your mental house.

Or learn how to be assertive so that you can attend your therapy sessions so you can defend against their nosiness.

There really aren't many options however many people you ask.

Quick Reply

Latest