The Student Room Group

Unreliable narration critic quotes for The Great Gatsby

For my A level English Literature coursework I am to read and compare 2 novels, one post 2000 and one pre 2000. I have to study The Great Gatsby and have opted as my post 2000 book Atonement. My essay will be focused around the reliability of both narrators, Nick and Briony. I must come up with a question but need to base it around a relevant critic quote. I am stumped and can’t find any good ones relating to this theme. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Original post by columba2004
For my A level English Literature coursework I am to read and compare 2 novels, one post 2000 and one pre 2000. I have to study The Great Gatsby and have opted as my post 2000 book Atonement. My essay will be focused around the reliability of both narrators, Nick and Briony. I must come up with a question but need to base it around a relevant critic quote. I am stumped and can’t find any good ones relating to this theme. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I've studied the great gatsby but not Atonement. The narrator in Atonement is unreliable right?
"The existence of an implied author is neither necessary nor a sufficient requirement of unreliable narration…Unreliability is culturally
and historically variable" - Zerweck about the TGG narration

Is this what you meant?
Reply 2
Original post by meredith909
I've studied the great gatsby but not Atonement. The narrator in Atonement is unreliable right?
"The existence of an implied author is neither necessary nor a sufficient requirement of unreliable narration…Unreliability is culturally
and historically variable" - Zerweck about the TGG narration

Is this what you meant?

Hi, thanks for the response. Yes the narrator of Atonement is unreliable and the quote will be useful going forward. I’ll discuss further with my teacher about the question, but this seems like a likely quote I might use. Much appreciated.
Original post by columba2004

I see Nick as an unreliable narrator, one of the first things he says in the book is that he reserves judgement yet then continues to do so throughout the entire novel. I would also argued he is unreliable in that Gatsby himself is a con man who is corrupt, constantly breaking the law and obsessive over the ideal of a women yet he is the mmmm one of the only characters that he holds in such a high position, nearly blind to his faults this bias might present for example Daisy in a worse light.
Hopefully this helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending