The Student Room Group

post your unpopular literature opinions?

for example

Curly is the best character in mice an men
Original post by Avreil
for example

The fictional character Holden Caulfield in the book The Catcher In The Rye is not so vulgar in choice of words as he was critized after the publication.
(edited 6 months ago)
Colleen Hoover books are trash
Reply 3
cant understand people that like the great gatsby >.< the characters are so monotone and the plot is very random </3
Original post by eenie_49
cant understand people that like the great gatsby >.< the characters are so monotone and the plot is very random </3

In terms of the characters, you are right. They are surficial and obnoxious hedonists, but the narrator Nick Carraway. It is the drama and the pathetic try by Gatsby to get his love by being a wealthy and noble man. That makes it surprisingly so interesting.
Reply 5
George Eliot's books are boring. I had to study 'The Mill on the Floss' and my son then endured 'SIlas Marner' ...
Original post by Muttley79
George Eliot's books are boring. I had to study 'The Mill on the Floss' and my son then endured 'SIlas Marner' ...

Read the summary of the book. It is like a story written by Jane Austen. The patterns at least are so familiar.
I really didn't like Catcher in the Rye. I know it's rated as such a classic but I just couldn't get into it.

Original post by bones-mccoy
Colleen Hoover books are trash

I've never read any of them, but I've heard similar. There's a Youtuber I watch- Rachel Oates, who's had a few things to say about Colleen Hoover.
She really isn't impressed.

Original post by Alesha1991
I really didn't like Catcher in the Rye. I know it's rated as such a classic but I just couldn't get into it.

(...)

It was my first English Classic I read and from this point of view, it was okay. There are better ones nonetheless.
Most Catherine Cookson novels have main character guys who are predatory criminals or revolting spineless liars.
While the women main characters are usually total idiots who make themselves a magnet for domestic abusers or psychos.
I cant read anything by james joyce, except The Dubliners. Also, Ibsen and ingemar bergman have such a lousy sense of humor that I can't watch their comedies. Agatha Christie was probably one of the least innovative writers I know, since most of her characters were contemporary types already existing in many incarnations. She just used these better than AEW Mason and the others. I agree with my mother's assessment of Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel. It makes an excellent stand on which to reach the top cupboards in the kitchen.
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by Avreil
for example

Ive never been a fan of the harry potter books
Original post by Emma:-)
Ive never been a fan of the harry potter books

Me too. I have not even finished the very first book. To be fair, I have tried to read it when I was a teenager and not a bookworm as I used to be now.
Original post by Avreil
for example

don't know if this is unpopular but I literally cannot finish books written from first person pov
Original post by username6577176
don't know if this is unpopular but I literally cannot finish books written from first person pov

If you think that books written in first person perspective is boring, it is definetely an opinion, although I doubt that this one is unpopular.
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 15
Regarding a comment on Wolf Hall above, Wolf Hall is written in an unusual style, if I remember correctly. I did manage to read it and quite liked it, but then I am interested in the historical period. I don't think it's a book that I could read again. Good tip about using it to stand on.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending