The Student Room Group

If you have a meltdown in public will you get arrested?

So basically.I'm autistic and I'm 18 soon and I need to start going places on my own.
Can you get arrested how having a meltdown in public ?
Can you get arrested for having a meltdown in a hospital ?
Would they do things like sedate your leave you be?

I'm a bit afraid.
Original post by Anonymous
So basically.I'm autistic and I'm 18 soon and I need to start going places on my own.
Can you get arrested how having a meltdown in public ?
Can you get arrested for having a meltdown in a hospital ?
Would they do things like sedate your leave you be?

I'm a bit afraid.

First off, you will never get into trouble for just having a condition you cannot help.
Start small, going to the corner shop alone, then maybe sitting in a quiet cafe for a drink on your own, make it easy for yourself. Things that may help you are ear defenders, fidget/stim toys, and an autism alert card, should you need to communicate about your condition during a meltdown, and what you might need to calm down. Enjoying more freedom isn't something to be afraid of :smile: good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by flowerskerfuffle
First off, you will never get into trouble for just having a condition you cannot help.
Start small, going to the corner shop alone, then maybe sitting in a quiet cafe for a drink on your own, make it easy for yourself. Things that may help you are ear defenders, fidget/stim toys, and an autism alert card, should you need to communicate about your condition during a meltdown, and what you might need to calm down. Enjoying more freedom isn't something to be afraid of :smile: good luck!

Thank you ! this is really really helpful :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
Thank you ! this is really really helpful :smile:

I'm so glad:smile:
Reply 4
My cousin has autism and he has a small badge he wears, in case he has a meltdown so people around him are more aware. He’s really independent now, like someone already said, he also started with going to places close by like a quite shop and then started to get public transport etc.

Quick Reply

Latest