The Student Room Group

Anorexia CAMHS Experiences

Did anyone go CAMHS for anorexia? What are your experiences?
Didn't go to CAMHS for anorexia but went for mood disorders, they were awful
I went to CAMHS but not for anorexia.

CAMHS is a really variable service, some clinicians are brilliant, some teams are brilliant, some areas have more funding available than other areas.
I think most people will experience a bit of a mixed bag- they will have some good and some bad experiences. It's unlikely that you will be 100% comfortable with them all of the time and this is partially due to your mental illness.

Some people do have an absolutely awful experience, I did but I am alive right now and I don't think I would be if they hadn't intervened, so I suppose they got something right. However I think they've actually traumatised me.

At the end of the day for most people it's worth attempting to get the treatment they need. A mentally ill teenager will become a mentally ill adult- it's a shame to loose out on having a good life.
Original post by hxnnxh_13.11.06
Didn't go to CAMHS for anorexia but went for mood disorders, they were awful

Mine are awful too :frown:
Original post by glassalice
I went to CAMHS but not for anorexia.

CAMHS is a really variable service, some clinicians are brilliant, some teams are brilliant, some areas have more funding available than other areas.
I think most people will experience a bit of a mixed bag- they will have some good and some bad experiences. It's unlikely that you will be 100% comfortable with them all of the time and this is partially due to your mental illness.

Some people do have an absolutely awful experience, I did but I am alive right now and I don't think I would be if they hadn't intervened, so I suppose they got something right. However I think they've actually traumatised me.

At the end of the day for most people it's worth attempting to get the treatment they need. A mentally ill teenager will become a mentally ill adult- it's a shame to loose out on having a good life.

Well I’m traumatised of going to every camhs appointment
Original post by Camhsistheworst
Well I’m traumatised of going to every camhs appointment

Have you tried explaining to them how you feel?
I have only heard good things about CAMHS and eating disorders - everyone I know who has moved from CAMHS to adult services says the adult services are much worse. They can be hit and miss for other things, but as @glassalice has pointed out, it worth attempting to get treatment and to try and get things fixed as a teenager before things escalates and becomes much harder to fix.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by glassalice
Have you tried explaining to them how you feel?

Yes they just gave me a sympathetic nod and said it’s not forever
Original post by black tea
I have only heard good things about CAMHS and eating disorders - everyone I know who has moved from CAMHS to adult services says the adult services are much worse. They can be hit and miss for other things, but as @glassalice has pointed out, it worth attempting to get treatment and to try and get things fixed as a teenager before things escalates and becomes much harder to fix things.

Lol I hate CAMHS I think everything is already fixed and so do my parents I think its definitely best not going, should I call CAMHS directly and remove myself from the service. They cannot force me to stay, and if they refuse,I can simply ignore them, and do not turn up to sessions, They cant legally force me to be there.
Let's face it - everyone hates CAMHS :laugh:
Original post by Camhsistheworst
Lol I hate CAMHS I think everything is already fixed and so do my parents I think its definitely best not going, should I call CAMHS directly and remove myself from the service. They cannot force me to stay, and if they refuse,I can simply ignore them, and do not turn up to sessions, They cant legally force me to be there.

I have already told you in your other threads that you should ask them about the possibility of discharge if that is how your feel.

Actually, they can legally force you to be there if they consider your to be very unwell as a result of your eating disorder.
Original post by hxnnxh_13.11.06
Let's face it - everyone hates CAMHS :laugh:

Facts
Original post by black tea
I have already told you in your other threads that you should ask them about the possibility of discharge if that is how your feel.

Actually, they can legally force you to be there if they consider your to be very unwell as a result of your eating disorder

I’m 40kg and I’m 15 and I’m 152cm Do you think can they force me? I doubt it cause I’m healthy and I worked really hard :frown: but won’t they call social services on my parents?
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest