Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool

Exam chaos at Uni of Liverpool as 1,500 students left without results -THE

(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

To add a couple more news articles without a paywall:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-57525379

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/anger-confusion-university-liverpool-students-20984004

Seems to have been handled poorly by the university - especially since they've let it go this late! :redface:
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool
Shall I be concerned about the boycott and incomplete marksheets?? Considering I'm an international postgrad for Sep 2021 admission in MSc in Microelectronic Systems.
Original post by Anonymous
Shall I be concerned about the boycott and incomplete marksheets?? Considering I'm an international postgrad for Sep 2021 admission in MSc in Microelectronic Systems.

You'll probably be okay, but who knows. Liverpool's had quite a few messy incidents over the past few years. Its reputation is going to take a hit sooner or later.
You'll probably be okay, but who knows. Liverpool's had quite a few messy incidents over the past few years. Its reputation is going to take a hit sooner or later.

OMG!!
OMG!!

There's been on and off strikes for a few years now, there was a scandal with a staff member, and now this marking mess has sort of ruined the university for me, as a student. But things could improve as quickly as they got messy.
Oh! I see.. How is the Uni in terms of career prospects in Electronics?
There's been on and off strikes for a few years now, there was a scandal with a staff member, and now this marking mess has sort of ruined the university for me, as a student. But things could improve as quickly as they got messy.

Hoping that things will improve..Now, I'm in two minds: to enroll or not to enroll..as a postgrad ?!
Hoping that things will improve..Now, I'm in two minds: to enroll or not to enroll..as a postgrad ?!

I would recommend doing some research. Also, if your MSc is one with a year in industry, don't get your hopes up too much at the moment.
I would recommend doing some research. Also, if your MSc is one with a year in industry, don't get your hopes up too much at the moment.

Doing research on whatever extent that is possible staying outside of uk (as I'm an International student).
Yes, the MSc program does have a year in Industry. I have seen, they boast of having strong links with core electronic companies such as ARM, National Instruments. How far this is true? How many do get graduate placement after msc in these companies?!
Doing research on whatever extent that is possible staying outside of uk (as I'm an International student).
Yes, the MSc program does have a year in Industry. I have seen, they boast of having strong links with core electronic companies such as ARM, National Instruments. How far this is true? How many do get graduate placement after msc in these companies?!

Good idea. And they do have strong links, and getting graduate jobs isn't too bad - but much harder for international students. However, the MSc programme with the year in industry doesn't have the best success rate at getting people years in industry because companies are often reluctant to take MSc students for a year in industry, especially if they require sponsorship. I think getting a graduate job directly afterwards would be an easier option, but still pretty challenging in the current climate, particularly for international students.
Okay..Firstly, thank you for such a detailed info. Correct me if I'm wrong. I think the sponsorship rules are comparatively eased from this year, alongwith 2yrs psw. Am I right?
Moreover, my backup choice is MSc in QUB.

What's your say?!
Okay..Firstly, thank you for such a detailed info. Correct me if I'm wrong. I think the sponsorship rules are comparatively eased from this year, alongwith 2yrs psw. Am I right?
Moreover, my backup choice is MSc in QUB.

What's your say?!

I know the two year rule has been relaxed but it doesn't really make it easier to get a job for international students. That being said, you are doing an in-demand subject, so you might have an easier time than most. Liverpool and QUB are probably roughly the same in terms of reputation. Liverpool is maybe a tiny bit better. But it's a strange year, so the best thing I would recommend is to look what alumni end up doing on LinkedIn.
That's a useful point! (especially the last line) I do take your advice seriously.
However, the others I had not mentioned were York, Newcastle, Leeds. None of them have a placement year. Also, the last one I can't afford.
That's a useful point! (especially the last line) I do take your advice seriously.
However, the others I had not mentioned were York, Newcastle, Leeds. None of them have a placement year. Also, the last one I can't afford.

Also, they are pretty dry on scholarships

Hello!

How is the situation now?? Are things getting better?
I'm a bit worried..
Hello!

How is the situation now?? Are things getting better?
I'm a bit worried..

Not really. If you search 'Liverpool University strikes' on Google, or #LivUniStrike on Twitter, you will be able to get the latest updates. Lots of students are still missing their results, although some do have them now.
Oh..Yes, in twitter the Uni posted only very few of the students didn't get their results, and about 98% got their results?
Oh..Yes, in twitter the Uni posted only very few of the students didn't get their results, and about 98% got their results?

Lol. Don't read what the uni says, read what the students and others say.
Ok.. What about Electrical and Electronics Department? Are classes going on as normal?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending