The Student Room Group

GEM A101 - Need help choosing!

I want to apply for GEM 2025 and am trying to decide on which four choices I should make. Narrowed it down to SGUL, Notts, Swansea, Worcester, and Liverpool.

Liverpool would be my top choice but they're only taking 30 students, and give preference to applicants with 2 + years' paid healthcare experience (which I don't have). Is it a waste of a choice?

Is Notts also really tough to get into? I see a lot of people on here talking about holding out for Notts offers. Honestly I would just be happy with whoever would take me, so I want to make strategic choices based on likelihood of an offer.
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by hellohollyrose
I want to apply for GEM 2025 and am trying to decide on which four choices I should make. Narrowed it down to SGUL, Notts, Swansea, Worcester, and Liverpool. Liverpool would be my top choice but they're only taking 30 students, and give preference to applicants with 2 years' paid healthcare experience (which I don't have). Is it a waste of a choice? Is Notts also really tough to get into? I see a lot of people on here talking about holding out for Notts offers. Honestly I would just be happy with whoever would take me, so I want to make strategic choices based on likelihood of an offer.

Best of luck! I am an applicant for 2024 and waiting on decisions / interview invites. I'm in a similar position... I'd be happy with an offer from anywhere, so chose unis that would maximise my chances. I applied to Swansea, Liverpool, Warwick, and Chester.

Was considering Notts as it is a larger cohort, lower competition ratios, lower GAMSAT cutoff, but I applied to Liverpool in the end as I've been employed by the NHS for over 2 years, so thought it would be a sensible choice. As they've only reopened GEM this year, expecting the selection process to be relatively fluid, and may change next year. Wouldn't expect all 30 places to go to people with 2 years experience, but obviously it's an advantage.

Have you sat the GAMSAT already, if not are you planning on doing so in March 2024? Would strongly recommend doing so if you can, even if you don't feel prepared yet. I only sat in September, and applying to universities without knowing my results was risky and felt horrible. (Thankfully it paid off - managed to get a really good score!) If you do sit in March, at least then you know how likely you are to get interviews, or whether you want to sit it again, or look at UCAT universities instead.

Do you live in the three counties? Think Worcester give preference to those who do.Have you looked at UCAT unis? I personally found UCAT way easier than GAMSAT and needing much less prep. Just used Medify a few weeks before the test and smashed it. I was impressed by Chester (new course) at their open day, and they've just released 50 places for home students. Plus they'll accept UCAT or GAMSAT.

You only need to decide for sure in October 2024, but the more information you have at that point will help chose those that will maximise your chances, e.g. if you already have a GAMSAT score, and if you sit the UCAT. Plus some of the newer courses are likely to refine their entry requirements for 2025 entry.
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by hellohollyrose
I want to apply for GEM 2025 and am trying to decide on which four choices I should make. Narrowed it down to SGUL, Notts, Swansea, Worcester, and Liverpool.

Liverpool would be my top choice but they're only taking 30 students, and give preference to applicants with 2 + years' paid healthcare experience (which I don't have). Is it a waste of a choice?

Is Notts also really tough to get into? I see a lot of people on here talking about holding out for Notts offers. Honestly I would just be happy with whoever would take me, so I want to make strategic choices based on likelihood of an offer.

Hi there,

Great to see you are interested in applying to the University of Liverpool. Your grades would give you a good chance, but given the stated preference for those with 2 yearof experience I think that you would be unlikely to be offered a place, though of course, this would be dependent upon the number of applicants.

Best of luck and let me know if you have any other questions 🙂

Malachy - University of Liverpool Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending