The Student Room Group

Personal Statement

I'm discussing a book in my personal statement and it has two authors with really long names, if I wrote out their names once and then put their initials in a bracket after it e.g. Acemoglu & Robinson (A&R), could I then refer to them as A&R throughout the statement?
Original post by kaaaaatttee
I'm discussing a book in my personal statement and it has two authors with really long names, if I wrote out their names once and then put their initials in a bracket after it e.g. Acemoglu & Robinson (A&R), could I then refer to them as A&R throughout the statement?

Hi! I think you could as long as you put the brackets? Theres no point wasting word count on a name youve already said, so id say so. Maybe when you go back to sixth form check with ur tutor on ur personal statement? Then you can make amendments accordingly (: Good luck with your personal statement
Original post by kaaaaatttee

Why are you referring to them throughout the statement? That usually means you're using your PS to write a book review instead of talking about your personal reactions and interests in what you read.
Not really??? books are super circulars and show depth and commitment to the subject; mind your business
Original post by chlo_english
Not really??? books are super circulars and show depth and commitment to the subject; mind your business

PQ probably knows a lot more than you if I'm honest. They're just trying to help, and I agree with them.
Original post by PQ
Why are you referring to them throughout the statement? That usually means you're using your PS to write a book review instead of talking about your personal reactions and interests in what you read.

Their names are Acemoglu and Robinson and I wrote that out around 3 times - I was just over the character limit thats all.
'The authors' or 'they'? Although as PQ said, you are unlikely to need to refer to the authors more than once

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending