The Student Room Group

Which Company NatWest or Credit Suisse for apprenticeship

Heyooo,
I have been stuck choosing between these two apprenticeships in technology I’ve got offers from, one is from NatWest a level 6 one from QA as the training provider and the other one is from credit Suisse a level 4 one from corndel as the training provider.
The salary is higher at NatWest for the apprenticeship but credit Suisse will offer a higher salary than NatWest after I complete the apprenticeship.
Credit Suisse is far away from me than NatWest in London about 10 mins more travel time.
Both are really good and I don’t know how to choose as they’re both really good banks to work for .
Any help appreciated.
have you spoken to previous apprentices at each company about how they find it?

do you know what the job is after the apprenticeship for both and the opportunities it has?
Original post by Gent2324
have you spoken to previous apprentices at each company about how they find it?

do you know what the job is after the apprenticeship for both and the opportunities it has?

At NatWest the past apprentices really like it there as they are really supportive and helpful but at credit Suisse they don’t have past apprentices as it’s their first time taking on apprentices
I would say they have the same opportunities after working in tech in any area you want.
Original post by Mellowmartian
At NatWest the past apprentices really like it there as they are really supportive and helpful but at credit Suisse they don’t have past apprentices as it’s their first time taking on apprentices
I would say they have the same opportunities after working in tech in any area you want.

sounds like a difficult decision! they are both very respectable banks, how long is each? a lot of this will come down to your interview experience + what your manager is like (if you know who that is) + the culture of the bank
sounds like a difficult decision! they are both very respectable banks, how long is each? a lot of this will come down to your interview experience + what your manager is like (if you know who that is) + the culture of the bank

Ya it’s really difficult to pick,
NatWest is 4 years since it’s a level 6 degree apprenticeship and credit Suisse is 2 years at level 4
My interview experience was great for both pretty much the same and the managers too
The culture is also the same from what I’ve looked at their website I couldn’t do the interviews in person cuz of corona so no office insights so everything is from what they tell me and what I see on their websites
What would you pick ?is finishing an apprenticeship earlier better?
Ya it’s really difficult to pick,
NatWest is 4 years since it’s a level 6 degree apprenticeship and credit Suisse is 2 years at level 4
My interview experience was great for both pretty much the same and the managers too
The culture is also the same from what I’ve looked at their website I couldn’t do the interviews in person cuz of corona so no office insights so everything is from what they tell me and what I see on their websites
What would you pick ?is finishing an apprenticeship earlier better?

its better if the job you get at the end of it is the same, you essentially get a 2 year boost to your career. really look at the job you would get after the apprenticeship, if the credit suisse one is the same id be tempted to go with that one
its better if the job you get at the end of it is the same, you essentially get a 2 year boost to your career. really look at the job you would get after the apprenticeship, if the credit suisse one is the same id be tempted to go with that one

The main problem I’m having is the fact that since one is at degree level would that be looked more upon favourably than the level 4 one?
Or if your experience is from a reputable company, is that more important in tech than your qualifications.
The main problem I’m having is the fact that since one is at degree level would that be looked more upon favourably than the level 4 one?
Or if your experience is from a reputable company, is that more important in tech than your qualifications.

not really, the degree part of the apprenticeship wont matter, once you go into the job after the apprenticeship (ie, a graduate level or above role) your degree wont matter at all since you've already gotten past the barrier of needing X degree for the job. once you search for careers afterwards they will favour experience over everything else
Is there a specific job you're targeting upon completion?
Original post by TCA2b
Is there a specific job you're targeting upon completion?

I want to work in AI which both of them offer in some degree after the completion of the apprenticeship
not really, the degree part of the apprenticeship wont matter, once you go into the job after the apprenticeship (ie, a graduate level or above role) your degree wont matter at all since you've already gotten past the barrier of needing X degree for the job. once you search for careers afterwards they will favour experience over everything else

Oh wow I did not know this, in this regard I think I will choose credit Suisse as It may be better in terms of rep.
Thank you for helping me, I was really stressed about choosing which one.
I want to work in AI which both of them offer in some degree after the completion of the apprenticeship

I see. When looking at the NatWest job salaries post-apprenticeship, which ones were you looking at?

The thing I would say is that for that field, there may be a benefit in doing the degree apprenticeship. They're vocationally integrated, so you're still gaining work experience in parallel, and applying it on the job. The salary banding for that type of apprenticeship is a bit higher, although it is worth noting about NatWest that the advert shows the total including the Value account (10% of salary, of which 8% goes to the pension), so make sure you're comparing like for like. I wouldn't focus too much on jobs by after the post-apprenticeship tbh, because 1) it is very likely it will change by that point and 2) you're not stuck with NatWest or Credit Suisse afterwards. While it's obviously easier to stay there and move into a regular job, it's a matter of convenience more than anything.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by TCA2b
I see. When looking at the NatWest job salaries post-apprenticeship, which ones were you looking at?

The thing I would say is that for that field, there may be a benefit in doing the degree apprenticeship. They're vocationally integrated, so you're still gaining work experience in parallel, and applying it on the job. The salary banding for that type of apprenticeship is a bit higher, although it is worth noting about NatWest that the advert shows the total including the Value account (10% of salary, of which 8% goes to the pension), so make sure you're comparing like for like. I wouldn't focus too much on jobs by after the post-apprenticeship tbh, because 1) it is very likely it will change by that point and 2) you're not stuck with NatWest or Credit Suisse afterwards. While it's obviously easier to stay there and move into a regular job, it's a matter of convenience more than anything.

Thank you for your reply,
When I was looking at salaries post apprenticeship I was looking at them from glass door and credit Suisse pays higher than NatWest in that regard
Your right that they’re vocationally integrated but aren’t they both like that the level 4 is shorter and the degree one is 4 years that’s the only difference. So is learning more better? Or more experience?
Since I want to work in AI if it isn’t to my liking then yes it’s more likely that I may work somewhere else after the apprenticeship.
There will be some initial overlap but the degree will cover much more ground and is more technically demanding. The curricula for both should be online, so you can get an idea from that. If you want to follow up with a Masters or PhD, the degree you get will also enable you to do one of those afterwards.

OK it may come down to specific roles, but I'm not familiar with Credit Suisse's pay packages.
Reply 14
what is the salary for credit suisse when starting the apprenticeship?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending